Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

44 minutes ago, hummingbirdguy said:

Thanks! He's pretty thorough from the videos I've gone through so far. Justin really is the MVP for making almost all his lessons available for free. I sing as well and figured it'd be a great (and relatively easy for a beginner) song to get into playing and singing simultaneously. Is Stairway to Heaven as popular a song to play as Wayne's World would suggest lol? 

I have never watched  Wayne's World before so can't comment.  When I retired from Burlington Northern RR at 60, it was the first song I learned from Justin. I did it in parts, Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6. My memory isn't what it used to be so it did take me a long time to learn it. I can't say how many people still love that song but Led Zeppelin is definitely famous. 

46 minutes ago, Retired said:

I have never watched  Wayne's World before so can't comment.  When I retired from Burlington Northern RR at 60, it was the first song I learned from Justin. I did it in parts, Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6. My memory isn't what it used to be so it did take me a long time to learn it. I can't say how many people still love that song but Led Zeppelin is definitely famous. 

The  movie stars Mike Myers, the guy from Austin Powers, so it's that kind of humor. As a child in the early 90s it was amongst my favorite movies, not least of which was due to Bohemian Rhapsody and yes, Led Zeppelin. Was BN RR a passenger or cargo line?

On 12/7/2020 at 2:20 PM, SteveFord said:

Damndest thing I ever saw.  

A lot of really nice guitars are coming up for sale these days so forget that thing.

There's a beautiful ES345 on eBay right now but these guys are going to bid it through the roof.

You probably already know this, but when you use a tremolo make sure you pre-stress your strings as you are tuning, so you have a good chance of them being somewhat stable and not stretching too much after your finished.

Also the nut is usually the biggest problem, use some type of string lube on it..

Edited by mihcmac

12 hours ago, hummingbirdguy said:

The  movie stars Mike Myers, the guy from Austin Powers, so it's that kind of humor. As a child in the early 90s it was amongst my favorite movies, not least of which was due to Bohemian Rhapsody and yes, Led Zeppelin. Was BN RR a passenger or cargo line?

Our son was into Austin Powers also. Yep, Austin was mostly humor, I've seen clips here and there of him but never sat down to watch him through in any of his movies.  I was more into the humor of Tim Conway and guys like that.  I was born in 1953 so that probably explains that Lol. What inspired me to play guitar was The Ventures and many of those songs I played when I started out at 13.  Burlington Northern was Freight train.  I started out with  Union Pacific RR in 1976 and they closed the shops in 89'.  I had a brain tumor cancer at that time so when I came back, they were close to shutting it down and I had to resign from UP and I went to Burlington Northern to finish out my career. Both were car shops repairing freight cars. Amtrak is the passenger train and has nothing to do with either Railroad. Although when I worked at UP they bought out Rock Island and merged with Southern Pacific.  At BN, they merged with Santa Fee while I worked there. I retired from the BN May, 31, 2013. The retirement benefits are great and worth sticking around for.  Although I don't miss working for the BN. 

Well yesterday I accidentally hit a couple of my toes with my weedeater while not wearing shoes, a bloody mess, but got it under control. I had to elevate for a few hours and play my 339. 🙂

I may be here a lot today while trying to let a scab form on my toes...🎶 💊 ](*,)

Edited by mihcmac

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Well yesterday I accidentally hit a couple of my toes with my weedeater while not wearing shoes, a bloody mess, but got it under control. I had to elevate for a few hours and play my 339. 🙂

I may be here a lot today while trying to let a scab form on my toes...🎶 💊 ](*,)

Ouch! Running a weed trimmer without shoes? [woot]  I bet that hurt! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Do people in Hawaii ever wear shoes?  I thought there was a law against that.  😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mihcmac said:

No, not part of the dress code when you can walk to the beach.. 🙂

Slippers are most common almost everything...

Ok.   I thought shoes were like long pants.  Considered to be un-Hawaiian and grounds for permanent banishment from the islands.

3 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Ok.   I thought shoes were like long pants.  Considered to be un-Hawaiian and grounds for permanent banishment from the islands.

I moved here from Arizona where I went bare foot all year around, so I was already conditioned for dress lifestyle, but started wearing slippers here because of the centipedes hiding in the grass.

I love helicopters, specially RC coaxial with counter rotating blades. RC helicopters got overshadowed by drones that you get to fly Pac Man style and are rapidly approaching for passenger transport.

My toes seem to healing nicely sofar and my new guitars acclimated allowing me to do a final trussrod tweak. I'm not accustomed to having 2 new guitars at the same time, being torn between them no matter which one I pick up..

• Like 1

If it weren't for my dreadful fear of heights, I'd be a very content and blissfully-ignorant helicopter pilot. 

As it is, I have to swallow my terror and put on a façade of steely-eyed courage whenever I fly one of those rigs. 
Just to keep the other pilots and engineers from getting worried and scared. 

😐

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

If it weren't for my dreadful fear of heights, I'd be a very content and blissfully-ignorant helicopter pilot. 

As it is, I have to swallow my terror and put on a façade of steely-eyed courage whenever I fly one of those rigs. 
Just to keep the other pilots and engineers from getting worried and scared. 

😐

I have a fear of heights. Not quite as bad today as it was growing up though.  I love going up in a helicopter though.  Except for one that didn't have either door on.  There were 3 of us in it and I sat in the middle hanging on to both the pilot and the guy next to me.  If I was going to go out the door, I was taking both with me, Haha. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 12:24 PM, Retired said:

Our son was into Austin Powers also. Yep, Austin was mostly humor, I've seen clips here and there of him but never sat down to watch him through in any of his movies.  I was more into the humor of Tim Conway and guys like that.  I was born in 1953 so that probably explains that Lol. What inspired me to play guitar was The Ventures and many of those songs I played when I started out at 13.  Burlington Northern was Freight train.  I started out with  Union Pacific RR in 1976 and they closed the shops in 89'.  I had a brain tumor cancer at that time so when I came back, they were close to shutting it down and I had to resign from UP and I went to Burlington Northern to finish out my career. Both were car shops repairing freight cars. Amtrak is the passenger train and has nothing to do with either Railroad. Although when I worked at UP they bought out Rock Island and merged with Southern Pacific.  At BN, they merged with Santa Fee while I worked there. I retired from the BN May, 31, 2013. The retirement benefits are great and worth sticking around for.  Although I don't miss working for the BN. 

The age difference explains why you're unfamiliar with the reference, but for years I thought Stairway to Heaven was banned from guitar stores near and far lol. Aren't the pay and benefits the only reason people really go to work, otherwise we'd all stay home and play guitar all day. Good on your for sticking with it and kicking cancer's *ss!

On 12/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, mihcmac said:

Yikes! Sounds like a gnarly sight. A West Indian friend told me to pack gashes and cuts with salt, turns out they heal a lot quicker and with very minimal scarring

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 3:41 PM, mihcmac said:

Man. 
I can't imagine how painful that is. 

I did the same thing a few weeks ago, only I was wearing my yard-working sneakers with socks underneath. 

I still (somehow) put a gash in my right big toe. 
The physics of that are perplexing to me. 

I guess I should wear steel-toed sneakers from here on out. 

😐

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I love helicopters, specially RC coaxial with counter rotating blades. RC helicopters got overshadowed by drones that you get to fly Pac Man style and are rapidly approaching for passenger transport.

My toes seem to healing nicely sofar and my new guitars acclimated allowing me to do a final trussrod tweak. I'm not accustomed to having 2 new guitars at the same time, being torn between them no matter which one I pick up..

I know you are in Hawaii and when I lived there I think the locals  called flip flops, slippers. I sure hope you had closed toed shoes on while weed whacking.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hummingbirdguy said:

Yikes! Sounds like a gnarly sight. A West Indian friend told me to pack gashes and cuts with salt, turns out they heal a lot quicker and with very minimal scarring

I was lucky, I just skinned the top of my middle and index toes on my right foot, the tops looked like jelly for a couple of days.

5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Man. 
I can't imagine how painful that is. 

I did the same thing a few weeks ago, only I was wearing my yard-working sneakers with socks underneath. 

I still (somehow) put a gash in my right big toe. 
The physics of that are perplexing to me. 

I guess I should wear steel-toed sneakers from here on out. 

😐

I t was very intense at first and looked freaky, my lady came to the rescue with hydrogen peroxide and wet paper towels, then elevating helped a lot. I was just doing a quick touch up in a rocky area and lost my balance pulling the trimmer over my toes.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know you are in Hawaii and when I lived there I think the locals  called flip flops, slippers. I sure hope you had closed toed shoes on while weed whacking.

Yep flip flops, but the language here is heavily influenced by the Queens English so slippers. I usually do wear something more protective, but this time it was just flip flops.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Worked (as usual) and am going out for a bike ride to buy tortoise food.

Checked in on the Facebook Marketplace and the guy with that Firebird VII just raised the price by another $100!

There's something wrong with these people.

Did you say WTF..!?

I know, just weird.

The last 2006 Firebird VII I tried to buy the guy did the same thing but he was jumping at $600 increments or something crazy like that.  Some nut finally bought it.

The wife monster took her dog out to buy another car load full of toys so brought the tobacco burst Les Paul Standard down for a whirl.  She's never seen it and I plan on keeping it that way.  This is really the first bit of playing it that I've done so I'll try and do a mini review tomorrow.  I've got it set up right, now just see if I can get used to the stubby little beauty.  Compared to a Firebird it's missing about 4" of neck...

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I know, just weird.

The last 2006 Firebird VII I tried to buy the guy did the same thing but he was jumping at $600 increments or something crazy like that.  Some nut finally bought it.

The wife monster took her dog out to buy another car load full of toys so brought the tobacco burst Les Paul Standard down for a whirl.  She's never seen it and I plan on keeping it that way.  This is really the first bit of playing it that I've done so I'll try and do a mini review tomorrow.  I've got it set up right, now just see if I can get used to the stubby little beauty.  Compared to a Firebird it's missing about 4" of neck...

As long as it's the same color as the last one she knows about, I learned the hard way ....

• Like 2