Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Planted 4  seedlings in back yard.  Texas species of Madrone Trees.  Almost impossible to transplant from a pot.  If they get just a little too much water they die.  And of course, if they dry out before their roots get down below the surface soil they die.   I've planted dozens over the past 20 years.  Half survived. Until we got a once in a year heavy rainstorm.  Seven years ago - one  made it.  We then moved, and I gambled and took it with us.  It was 2 feet tall- my best effort at the time, 7 years ago.  It died.  I just feared the new home owner would kill it with a weedwacker or think it was a weed.   So - these  will be my last effort.  They grow naturally 20 miles north of here in The Hill Country, but they're so neat - I keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Sort of like how I play the guitar. 

Happily avoided a divorce, that's a win.  After much carrying on the wife is simply going to take a 3 week vacation to visit her son.  

This pandemic has been hard on everyone, I'm sure the attornies and therapists are booked solid.

Other than that, worked 12 hours, shoveled snow three times (trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile) and decided that I should probably buy a guitar in the near future.  

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Happily avoided a divorce, that's a win.  After much carrying on the wife is simply going to take a 3 week vacation to visit her son.  

This pandemic has been hard on everyone, I'm sure the attornies and therapists are booked solid.

Other than that, worked 12 hours, shoveled snow three times (trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile) and decided that I should probably buy a guitar in the near future.  

Damn. You need a guitar after that ordeal. Watch out for that yellow snow right there where the Huskies go. 
Do reptiles pee yellow?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Si', Senor Pepper, it was a bit of an ordeal with a moving truck and all sorts of crazy stuff.  I'm going to get something really good as a reward for mental anguish and may make that my final purchase.  Time to quit screwing around as life will be getting back to "normal" soon, I hope.

There are two last models I have my eye on, we'll see.  Maybe even throw an acoustic in there for three of a perfect pair (to coin a phrase).

Actually, reptiles have clear, mostly odorless urine and snakes also pass urates which look like big Mallomars.  

TIme to go to work and it's still snowing.  YAY, snow shoveling.

Edited by SteveFord

At work. Just got out of our morning Teams daily tag up meeting. I have more meeting now (and I am clearly not important enough to be a meeting guy) than before this Chinese Bat McNugget Flu. Thanks Microsoft Teams for bringing us closer together.

I thought you were not interested in another one with a big hole in it Steve?

One one two many schizophrenic tendencies

You can now make a offer on the Sheik Yerbouti guitar. Shocked that one didn't go first at 25 large.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That J-40 left a real favorable impression on me so who knows.  It would have to be in the $1700-1900 range, though.  Last time I looked they were around twice that which is too rich for my blood.

Yeah they are stupid high priced even used. I've only seen one in person and it was at a shop getting worked on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Wife had melanoma removed from shoulder yesterday. Took out a quarter pounder sized hunk of skin and flesh. Stiches on two levels.  So, I'll be helping her when it's time to do dressing changes and make sure she takes her tylenol and antibiotic scrip.   I had the same thing done 6 weeks ago on my back.  We pound into our kids heads to use sunscreen all the time - especially when they're out on the lake where the reflections are magnified.  Our generation didn't have 'sunscreen'.  We often used baby oil mixed with iodine.   Dermatologist told us to be sure to use sunscreen with titanium oxide in it.   Sort of like clown paint when you put it on.  But I'd rather look like a rodeo clown than a bbq sandwich. 

It sounds like an HD-28V but in a smaller package and a thinner neck.

I recall a tour guide saying Martin's biggest competition is the used Martin market and due to the sheer volume of counterfeiting they did some sort of weird thing with "the guitar's DNA" so they could read it at the factory.  I would guess a chip or something similar.

A guide on a later tour then said Martin slipped to #2 in the acoustic market with Gibson being in the top slot.  I'd imagine that would include Epiphone in the totals.

One will pop up sooner or later.  There's a strong Martin contingent in PA so I'll contact one of my buddies here when I'm ready.  This is such a strange time with low production and so many of us stuck at home.

Right now it's finish up the electrics.  

13 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wife had melanoma removed from shoulder yesterday. Took out a quarter pounder sized hunk of skin and flesh. Stiches on two levels.  So, I'll be helping her when it's time to do dressing changes and make sure she takes her tylenol and antibiotic scrip.   I had the same thing done 6 weeks ago on my back.  We pound into our kids heads to use sunscreen all the time - especially when they're out on the lake where the reflections are magnified.  Our generation didn't have 'sunscreen'.  We often used baby oil mixed with iodine.   Dermatologist told us to be sure to use sunscreen with titanium oxide in it.   Sort of like clown paint when you put it on.  But I'd rather look like a rodeo clown than a bbq sandwich. 

My wife had a small chunk cut off her leg several years back. Her father had it to and ultimately took his life.  He grew up in Florida and was always at the beach back before he was in the Army and went to Nam I am sure he was not using sunscreen.

Hope your wife doesn't have to get any more removed and the surgeon got it all.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife had a small chunk cut off her leg several years back. Her father had it to and ultimately took his life.  He grew up in Florida and was always at the beach back before he was in the Army and went to Nam I am sure he was not using sunscreen.

Hope your wife doesn't have to get any more removed and the surgeon got it all.

Yeah.  Wife grew up in Miami.  Very sorry about your father in law.  Hope your wife has found peace.   Millions of photos of young men going shirtless in Nam.  We get old, our egos don't accept it when we look in the mirror or start getting bad medical news.  Hard to accept reality.  As the song says  "the whiskey isn't working anymore".  

Edited by fortyearspickn

Got up early, went for a swim, and delivered groceries to my brother (who has covid, and is in house quarantine). 

Went in and flew a day and instrument training flight with a young Army Captain, and then went back out for a night flight to complete some tasks with him. 

Gorgeous view from the aircraft, right after sun-set. 

🙂

P9HSY8y.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Got up early, went for a swim, and delivered groceries to my brother (who has covid, and is in house quarantine). 

Went in and flew a day and instrument training flight with a young Army Captain, and then went back out for a night flight to complete some tasks with him. 

Gorgeous view from the aircraft, right after sun-set. 

🙂

P9HSY8y.jpg

Damn. You live large.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn. You live large.

Well, I had a decision to make back in 1977;

Continue on with a career in fast food, or go into the Army to fly helicopters. 

I chose the latter, and by a combination of dumb luck and having really great team-mates, I'm still alive and blessed to be doing it. 
If it weren't for my almost-crippling fear of heights, I would say I am in a really great spot right now. 

😐

18 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Well, I had a decision to make back in 1977;

Continue on with a career in fast food, or go into the Army to fly helicopters. 

I chose the latter, and by a combination of dumb luck and having really great team-mates, I'm still alive and blessed to be doing it. 
If it weren't for my almost-crippling fear of heights, I would say I am in a really great spot right now. 

😐

I joined and became an Electrician. But I floated on ships.

• Like 1

Today  I hope to remember to top off the air in my Ford's  tires,    For the last 3 outings Ive gotten the Idiot Light warning of Low Tire Pressure,      Can't for the life of me figure out why they call it an "Idiot Light".    If not 'Hate Speech"  it is certainly "bullying".  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn funny.

I was not a deckie, I was in engineering. But at least I didn't have to put a 75lb sack on my back and march around.

I was lucky. 
In my career path, and as a Warrant Officer,  I probably only humped a ruck maybe four times in my entire life.  

Good times. 

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Today  I hope to remember to top off the air in my Ford's  tires,    For the last 3 outings Ive gotten the Idiot Light warning of Low Tire Pressure,      Can't for the life of me figure out why they call it an "Idiot Light".    If not 'Hate Speech"  it is certainly "bullying".  

I am grateful for that one bit of (admittedly hateful) technology in my Ford Transit Van. 

The Low-Tire-Pressure warning light is money. 

I love it. 
I love the very notion of it. 

Even if it assaults my dignity and my ego. 

😔