Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally revised my "collage" family photo to include a Gretsch I bought a couple months ago, haha.  

What's with all the hostility? Can't you be a card-carrying liberal without constantly putting people down with your perceived moral superiority? I'm seriously interested. Because it's a pattern

Cheers. But she deserves it...  My dad only passed about a year and a half ago, she still isn't really over that, they were married for like 52 years..  While I will take every precaution including li

Posted Images

On 2/11/2021 at 7:15 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

Worse yet,if the river flows into the ocean the sea level will rise. 

That would account for why the sea level rises but it's still freezing out.

We're onto something here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I took my 56 LP Std Pro out for drive on my Stage Right 15, everything was cooking just the right way in the 2nd story jungle air. I forget sometimes just how precise that C profile fat neck is and such a joy to squeeze sounds out of..

Edited by mihcmac
Link to post
Share on other sites

I played my J35V for a couple hours this morning. Then my wife took me and the dog for a walk. After that, I shoveled the driveway out again. I am about to get whipped in chess by my 17 year-old. Then I am going to change strings on my Collings. My wife and I are working on a Harry Manx tune, Make Way For the Living. She plays lead bottleneck on her Pogreba, and I am playing rhythm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 6:15 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

Worse yet,if the river flows into the ocean the sea level will rise. 

 

One of the most interesting qualities of water;  (EDIT) it...generally  weighs less as a solid than it does as a liquid, so ice floats. 

(Please see posts below which explain this and correct my assumption!)

If it was heavier than water and all ice sank to the bottom of the sea, life (whatever there might be of it) on 'our' planet would be very different indeed and we might not be here at all.

Just another one of those many seemingly small coincidences which make our lives possible.

 

But anyway.....

I got vaccinated on Friday and had some side-effects on Saturday.  Felt much better this morning, and it's above zero (centigrade) outside.

I ran the car for awhile today then went for a 30 min drive to keep the battery charged.  

And bought a load of as-new Ernie Ball fx board patch leads from a member of a UK guitar forum, a good deal I thought.

I've been listening to Chick Corea's recordings this weekend.  Tremendous.

Edited by jdgm
Link to post
Share on other sites

@jdgm, I fail to believe that water weighs less when it solidifies compared to when it is in the liquid state.  What is interesting is that water expands when it freezes unlike many other molecules.  But generally speaking, if the "count" of water molecules are kept constant in a particular sealed vessel let's say, the weight (or mass for that matter) will never change.  The volume will change though by virtue of its expansion when frozen.  So the rule in buoyancy states that if something weighs less than the volume it displaces of another substance, it will do what we call float in this particular instance.  Being that the volume increases with frozen water and more "space" is taken up as compared to liquid water, the ice which is less dense will weigh less than the more dense liquid water of equal volume.  Water is an interesting molecule.  It is non-compressible as well.  But now, I'm babbling on about H2O.  Lol, sorry man, I was just talking about how water expands when frozen with my son.  I really have to get out more and talk to people, haha!  Too much time at home these days.  Cheers mate! 

Edited by NighthawkChris
nitpicking
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@jdgm the ice which is less dense will weigh less than the more dense liquid water of equal volume.  

That is correct; it might seem like splitting hairs but the actual thing that makes one thing float and another sink is density.  Also ice will generally have at least a little bit if air trapped inside which also makes it float.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been watching soccer this weekend. It is cool that Champions League is back this week, so it is time for some bets 🙂 Do you like betting, guys? I have placed some bets on 토토사이트 recently, and I have a good feeling. Do you support any team? It would be fun to discuss the playoffs

Edited by pearhie
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@jdgm, I fail to believe that water weighs less when it solidifies compared to when it is in the liquid state.  What is interesting is that water expands when it freezes unlike many other molecules.  But generally speaking, if the "count" of water molecules are kept constant in a particular sealed vessel let's say, the weight (or mass for that matter) will never change.  The volume will change though by virtue of its expansion when frozen.  So the rule in buoyancy states that if something weighs less than the volume it displaces of another substance, it will do what we call float in this particular instance.  Being that the volume increases with frozen water and more "space" is taken up as compared to liquid water, the ice which is less dense will weigh less than the more dense liquid water of equal volume.  Water is an interesting molecule.  It is non-compressible as well.  But now, I'm babbling on about H2O.  Lol, sorry man, I was just talking about how water expands when frozen with my son.  I really have to get out more and talk to people, haha!  Too much time at home these days.  Cheers mate! 

 

12 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

That is correct; it might seem like splitting hairs but the actual thing that makes one thing float and another sink is density.  Also ice will generally have at least a little bit if air trapped inside which also makes it float.  

 

Thanks to both for the correction.  I have edited my original post.  It expands when frozen (that's the crucial bit that I remember now) and density is key.  It's been a very long time since my science lessons!!

It's another one of those things that is very intriguing.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 3:38 PM, Brian Krashpad said:

I finally revised my "collage" family photo to include a Gretsch I bought a couple months ago, haha.

 

50916722231_e007d9ca65_c.jpg



I updated my 'family photo collage', but didn't have the patience to photograph them again in proper identical settings. 

🙂

 

Kf7YT0Y.png

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Finally decided to upgrade the wife's TV/stereo system.  This will be a bit of a project as it'll be speakers, amp, preamp and maybe the TV itself.  It's all overdue.

Ordered a set of Magnepan LRS speakers for starters.

https://www.magnepan.com/model_lrs

So everything?

I just have sub par Polk Audio's. You have the good stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the early 1960s Sherwood tuner as that sounds better than anything else you'll encounter.

We'll see how the Oppo DVD/CD player w/ tube buffer sounds.  If it bites I'll upgrade.  Hear they got this newfangled thing called Blu-Ray...

The center channel speaker stays, that's a good one (Magnepan CC5).

I know those little LRS' are like sonic magnifying glasses so anything that's reallyaub-par will stick out like a sore thumb.

I should be able to put something together really good for $2500 including the speakers.  The way it sounds now it's good for watching TV and that's about it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick sidetrack to replace a headphone system that I sold years ago to buy a Firebird or something.

Here's the first part, a used WooAudio WA6 headphone amp.  Built like a tank in Brooklyn and I really missed that thing.  Comes with a bunch of tubes and should be here in a week or so.

JEhqj6Y.jpgu3eGCDO.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard from the seller and he asked me if I sold it to him years ago on thecarversite.  YES...

That's MY old headphone amplifier, I'm getting it back!

I started thinking about it, saw it on eBay and back it comes, how great is that?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I just heard from the seller and he asked me if I sold it to him years ago on thecarversite.  YES...

That's MY old headphone amplifier, I'm getting it back!

I started thinking about it, saw it on eBay and back it comes, how great is that?  

You double buy a lot of stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Yes but this was really unexpected, this is the best news I've had all week.  My old amp come back again.

A nice coincidence and a good omen IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My last purchase was a Black Coronet that I bought for a friend suffering from COVID lockup depression, not sick but just isolated. He is a Strat guy, but really digging the simplicity and light weight of the Coronet. He sent me this pic of it in front of my old Ampeg 140c that he drives with his Peavey Classic 50 head.. Life is good.....

YgVyEGQ.jpg

I am going to play my 59 Wilshire today..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...