Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

20 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Played my Blueshawk yesterday, she was exceptional but showing signs of needing new strings. So today she's getting her wish, guitars with tremolos work so much better with new strings. Our multi iPad recording guy is refining his techniques and we may have something worth showing soon. My Blueshawk feels incredible with new strings, have to make sure I change them more often and not get sidetracked with my other new guitars.

rMfrbwR.jpg

A gorgous guitar mate!

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

People and critics go stupid for Radiohead. The Edge can make his guitar go juga juga juga a lot through all the delays and processors he uses.

And we've explicitly told him to stop. So much for the man on the street. I wouldn't be surprised if their tours were just fronts for organ smuggling. 

Well, maybe a little. 

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

People and critics go stupid for Radiohead. The Edge can make his guitar go juga juga juga a lot through all the delays and processors he uses.

The problem with Radiohead is that they don't realize that people need some bossa nova rhythms every now and then. 

Here's my take on their biggest hit. 

It's just me an my ancient Yamaha keyboard. 
Enjoy. 
😬

https://chirb.it/eykkOP

42 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

The problem with Radiohead is that they don't realize that people need some bossa nova rhythms every now and then. 

Here's my take on their biggest hit. 

It's just me an my ancient Yamaha keyboard. 
Enjoy. 
😬

https://chirb.it/eykkOP

Other than Creep that I heard almost 30 years ago I could not name a Radiohead song. I have heard their stuff since then and know I don't like them, What people hear in them I just don't get. I guess its the same with me and Zappa. but at least Zappa was a real musician. 

15 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I have the Beat Buddy Mini, with the accessory foot pedal. 
I like it. 

On the main module you can select/activate the song style, variations, and tempo. Volume too. 
One foot tap on the go-button gets it started, and then after that, one foot tap adds a fill. 
One long foot press transitions over to a chorus deviation, usually with ride cymbal, and then so back to the main rhythm. 
Two foot taps ends each rhythm with a flourish ending. 

On the accessory foot pedal you can add a crash cymbal effect, or even mute the output. 

Each drum pattern has it's own 'intro', and that temporary mute button can be just the thing, in case their factory intro doesn't suit the song. 

It's really useful for working on songs when the drummer can't come over. 
I suppose that if you were really well-practiced up on it, you could go do gigs without a drummer.

But then again without a drummer, who would spill beer all over the back of the stage, and then go home with all the chicks?
😉

bbmini01-cD49_.VYYE5.jUOKIoQy8IISlndU_pp

A good memory about drummers.

Me and drummer Bob were playing a private party at an outdoor venue this one time. 
No bass player available, so I packed a Crate amp that had the option of a bass octaving feature, so we went ahead and played the gig. 

It was cold as hell outside on that club house veranda, and the host had all these outdoor propane heaters set up. 
(Actually, my avatar is from that job, so you can see one of the heaters there behind me.)

This had to have been 2012 or 2013. 

Anyway, we played set after set, and though a lot of the crowd stayed inside the clubhouse where the food and wine and beers were, a great number of guests stayed out on the veranda with us, and rocked out. 

My wife was there, taking photos with her Nikon camera, and enjoying some beverages. (She still drank back then.)

We had a lot of people on the dance floor, and a good time was rolling. One friend got up and sang a few songs with us, and the crowd was digging it. 

At one point, one of the ladies dancing with her hubby and some friends danced her way up to my mic stand, as I sang something she really liked, and she began to shimmy and flirt. And I must confess two things right now;
a. She was a stunningly beautiful woman, very sexy
and,
b. My wife was having none of it. She was off to the side with her camera, and glaring at the shimmying chick with all her might. 

I laughed like hell and carried on with the performance. 
Bob and I played a couple more dance-able tunes, and then took a break to enjoy some beers.

I hugged my wife and asked her, "So, how did you like that set?"

She grumbled, "It was good, but I thought I was going to have to peel that ***** off of you at one point."

Bob snickered, and said, “Don’t worry, Beth. She was only coming on to him so she could hook up with the drummer eventually.”

I agreed.  “Yep. Drummers get all the girls.”

Good times. 
😑

I sure do miss Bob. 
He passed away from cancer just three years ago. 
dzRP3Xg.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Other than Creep that I heard almost 30 years ago I could not name a Radiohead song. I have heard their stuff since then and know I don't like them, What people hear in them I just don't get. I guess its the same with me and Zappa. but at least Zappa was a real musician. 

I can name "Paranoid android", because they stole the title. But I don't remember what it sounded like, and it's only been a few days. 

Oh well. 

I can however recall two U2 songs: "Still haven't found...", which is Irish Michael Bolton music, and "Sunday bloody Sunday", which would do well to learn from more advanced music like "The wheels on the bus go round and round". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

I can however recall two U2 songs: "Still haven't found...", which is Irish Michael Bolton music, and "Sunday bloody Sunday", which would do well to learn from more advanced music like "The wheels on the bus go round and round". 

I used to listen to War by them. Before that album and after that album I can't stand any of their stuff. Haven't heard War probably in two decades.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Grabbing on to reality with a cup of coffee and powdered donuts. 

Thinking about Masters Of The Universe that I watched last night, the Dolph Lundgren, Frank Langella, Courteney Cox version.

I know that this is something that many people have seen, but I had forgotten the detail they went to for a cartoon to feature film.

It was about it was about a high school musician that finds a musical devise that creates worm holes. A scene at the high school showed a stage with some interesting rock equipment setup on it and while I was marveling at it the bad guys came in shot it all up burning a bunch of old Fenders. The main battle scene takes place in a music store that is wall to wall 87 era equipment that all gets destroyed, so sad too bad..

Edited by mihcmac

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

Grabbing on to reality with a cup of coffee and powdered donuts. 

Thinking about Masters Of The Universe that I watched last night, the Dolph Lundgren, Frank Langella, Courteney Cox version.

I know that this is something that many people have seen, but I had forgotten the detail they went to for a cartoon to feature film.

It was about it was about a high school musician that finds a musical devise that creates worm holes. A scene at the high school showed a stage with some interesting rock equipment setup on it and while I was marveling at it the bad guys came in shot it all up burning a bunch of old Fenders. The main battle scene takes place in a music store that is wall to wall 87 era equipment that all gets destroyed, so sad too bad..

Found it on Netflix. Actually haven't seen it. Next on my list.  Thanks for the tip. 

Loved the toys, of course. 

• Thanks 1

We are condition the wind tunnel with liquid nitrogen down to -250 (that is negative 250 degrees) for a test tomorrow of some model of a rocket that is one day going to be made into a regular size rocket and go to one of the moon of Saturn I think, or maybe one of Jupiter's. I get get stay all night and babysit heaters that keep stuff warm in there for the moving parts.

• Like 1

You made me learn something new:

the average temperature of the universe. It turned out to be minus 269 degrees Celsius or minus 452 degrees Fahrenheit.

I thought Pennsylvania was bad. 

Worked 12 hour day, relaxing with the ES-345, scheming on one last guitar purchase, fed reptiles, ordered a motorcycle battery as a prophylactic measure, the usual.

For the 345 the neck kept sticky so I kept it out the case for a few days and left the case open, I think that's what it needed.  It was probably trapped in there for most of the past 15 years.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We are condition the wind tunnel with liquid nitrogen down to -250 (that is negative 250 degrees) for a test tomorrow of some model of a rocket that is one day going to be made into a regular size rocket and go to one of the moon of Saturn I think, or maybe one of Jupiter's. I get get stay all night and babysit heaters that keep stuff warm in there for the moving parts.

Getting some overtime in or are you salaried? 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Getting some overtime in or are you salaried? 

Once I hit 40 hours everything after that is OT. I'll probably get 8 OT this week. I also get shift differential pay for working anything outside my normal 630 am to 330 pm shift. In 3 and and a half years here I've worked one weekend day. I average about 5 times a  year I have to say over night. Of those 5 times it lasts mostly 3 days straight during a week.

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

You made me learn something new:

the average temperature of the universe. It turned out to be minus 269 degrees Celsius or minus 452 degrees Fahrenheit.

Don't be laying no guilt trip on me that I made you learn something.

We can scrap ice off the tunnel when it is cold.

I dipped my strings in LN2 (liquid nitrogen one night), the fact that Dean Markley and another string maker and Gibson I think said they do and did it with frets years ago is snake oil. I heard no difference and it didn't last longer.

On 3/9/2021 at 8:38 PM, mihcmac said:

I'm down to about 10.

2bbNl3V.jpg

Heres a few of them.. Mostly Epiphones...

Well thats not bad at all then! Yeah, I have 2 racks for mine. One is a 7 guitar rack and the others a 5 guitar rack. I have 6 guitars on the 7 rack and 3 on the 5 rack. Gives me 9 but one acoustic still needs a new bridge and the other 2 are in there case. So I guess I can still get 3 more huh? Lol. 

2 hours ago, Retired said:

Well thats not bad at all then! Yeah, I have 2 racks for mine. One is a 7 guitar rack and the others a 5 guitar rack. I have 6 guitars on the 7 rack and 3 on the 5 rack. Gives me 9 but one acoustic still needs a new bridge and the other 2 are in there case. So I guess I can still get 3 more huh? Lol. 

Sounds like a plan...