Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Retired said:

Wind tunnels. Race car drivers have taken their cars to wind tunnels before in the past like Funny Car teams and Pro Stock teams. Where do they take them to that has a wind tunnel?

Where I work we share a fence with The Langley Air Force Base and there is a wind tunnel over there and ODU Engineering students used to intern at, when NASCAR drivers used use wind tunnel technology to get their cars dialed in. Now I guess its all done with lap tops.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's with all the hostility? Can't you be a card-carrying liberal without constantly putting people down with your perceived moral superiority? I'm seriously interested. Because it's a pattern

I finally revised my "collage" family photo to include a Gretsch I bought a couple months ago, haha.  

I did this today. I'll call it light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not grimacing, my neck is just old.    

Posted Images

Well once again having coffee and a donut, Dazed and Confused while in glazed stare looking my Wilshire in its case at my feet, wondering why Epiphone made me wait soooo long for them to reintroduce this model.

B9MGFcc.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Well once again having coffee and a donut, Dazed and Confused while in glazed stare looking my Wilshire in its case at my feet, wondering why Epiphone made me wait soooo long for them to reintroduce this model.

B9MGFcc.jpg

Manufactures are going to make what they think will sell.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Manufactures are going to make what they think will sell.

Well I think they are doing very well with these, most of the big online stores are now saying back order, not preorder, there are few online shops that have them, but they don't last long.  Specially the Coronet version. Anyway hoping they don't flood the market with then. Online Japan is selling new Wilshire/Coronet/Crestwood's for almost double the US price. Since Gibson reorganized the available Epiphone models, the used discontinued versions asking price has been going up, some going above the new model prices.

Edited by mihcmac
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Well I think they are doing very well with these, most of the big online stores are now saying back order, not preorder, there are few online shops that have them, but they don't last long.  Specially the Coronet version. Anyway hoping they don't flood the market with then. Online Japan is selling new ones for about double the normal price. Since Gibson reorganized the available Epiphone models, the used discontinued versions asking price has been going up, some going above the new model prices.

I have noticed all used guitar prices have gone nuts lately. There was a guy I was messaging about his used Martin 000-18. He wanted $3200 for a used 2019 one. Just a standard model. I inquired why so much is it a Custom or something? He said no he just wanted the money back he said he paid for it. Well sorry you got ripped off, but he could not understand my logic of a new one with a warranty is only $2500 and other used ones in killer condition are around $2000. Its still for sale.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have noticed all used guitar prices have gone nuts lately. There was a guy I was messaging about his used Martin 000-18. He wanted $3200 for a used one. Just a standard model. I inquired why so much is it a Custom or something? He said no he just wanted the money back he said he paid for it. Well sorry you got ripped off, but he could no understand my logic of a new one with a warranty is only $2500 and other used ones in killer condition are around $2000. Its still for sale.

There is something weird gong on with used guitar market. One Epiphone model I have been watching is a late 90's Epiphone Del Rey which got down pretty low, then the 2019 upgraded version the Epiphone DC Pro was introduced at 599. Now the asking price of used Del Rey's have exceeded  the price of a new DC Pro.

1998 Del Rey

rxwb0ixj8wzite2tk8zm.jpg

The current upgraded 2019 DC Pro

3g3a3175_7c5945caad.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Where I work we share a fence with The Langley Air Force Base and there is a wind tunnel over there and ODU Engineering students used to intern at, when NASCAR drivers used use wind tunnel technology to get their cars dialed in. Now I guess its all done with lap tops.

Lap tops? Well I guess technology has improved over all the years? Interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 5:12 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Where I work we share a fence with The Langley Air Force Base and there is a wind tunnel over there and ODU Engineering students used to intern at, when NASCAR drivers used use wind tunnel technology to get their cars dialed in. Now I guess its all done with lap tops.

It's probably done with smartphones! Damn kids and their phones. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well here I am again, got my nose in a cup of coffee inhaling the steam while it fogs my glasses with a half eaten old fashioned donut staring at me and my min-pin scratching my leg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Sheer self-indulgence:

A bacon and cheese sandwich at 11.30 p.m.  Shouldn't eat late but it is always such a wonderful thing to be able to do.

Who hasn't (for instance) been in the city late at night of an occasion and had a good takeaway scoff?

I could have, should have gone further....onions...mayo [smile]

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jdgm said:

Sheer self-indulgence:

A bacon and cheese sandwich at 11.30 p.m.  Shouldn't eat late but it is always such a wonderful thing to be able to do.

Who hasn't (for instance) been in the city late at night of an occasion and had a good takeaway scoff?

I could have, should have gone further....onions...mayo [smile]

10:30 pm and I let Sundance out to potty and while he was out I looked in the fridge for something. I let him in and settled on some candy and water. Haha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My new 2021 Ascent with just a bit over 500 miles on it failed to start 3 times now. Dead battery. Bought it from Subaru. This is the 3rd time its been in the service.  Today, I told the guy, this is ridiculous for a brand new car with like 530 miles on it with a dead battery and I had to quick start it on my battery charger.  I told him to check the whole system to see if something was draining the battery and if not, then check the battery and if it wasn't at full charge then put a new battery in it.  I got a new battery today, compliments of Subaru. They couldn't find any fault in the electrical system but the battery wasn't at full charge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove from Little River, SC to NN, VA. The wife and I went out for all you can eat crab legs last night. I ate till a heap ton of crab legs. Thanks guys we used to board in the Bering Sea when I was in the Coast Guard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Retired said:

My new 2021 Ascent with just a bit over 500 miles on it failed to start 3 times now. Dead battery. Bought it from Subaru. This is the 3rd time its been in the service.  Today, I told the guy, this is ridiculous for a brand new car with like 530 miles on it with a dead battery and I had to quick start it on my battery charger.  I told him to check the whole system to see if something was draining the battery and if not, then check the battery and if it wasn't at full charge then put a new battery in it.  I got a new battery today, compliments of Subaru. They couldn't find any fault in the electrical system but the battery wasn't at full charge. 

Ret,  We've got the predecessor of the Ascent (TriBecA)  and had a similar problem, albeit a few years after we had it.  Obviously, this might not apply to you.    There are 3 dome lights in ours. The one furthest back, by the rear hatch, has a switch which if accidentally brushed while loading stuff, will turn the light on - permanently.  You probably won't know the light is permanently on if  you're back there with the hatch open. You probably won't see it if you are in the driver's seat.   I put a piece of duct tape over the toggle switch  to make sure it couldn't be accidentally tripped after it drained our battery a couple of times.  Maybe Subaru fixed this 'problem' and you have a different one..  Just a quick, easy thing to check. G'Luck.   Only problem I can recall having at all with ours after 10 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Ret,  We've got the predecessor of the Ascent (TriBecA)  and had a similar problem, albeit a few years after we had it.  Obviously, this might not apply to you.    There are 3 dome lights in ours. The one furthest back, by the rear hatch, has a switch which if accidentally brushed while loading stuff, will turn the light on - permanently.  You probably won't know the light is permanently on if  you're back there with the hatch open. You probably won't see it if you are in the driver's seat.   I put a piece of duct tape over the toggle switch  to make sure it couldn't be accidentally tripped after it drained our battery a couple of times.  Maybe Subaru fixed this 'problem' and you have a different one..  Just a quick, easy thing to check. G'Luck.   Only problem I can recall having at all with ours after 10 years. 

The Ascent has 6 dome lights. 2 in front for the driver and passenger and 4 in the back cargo area, I had Sundance back there the first time and he must have hit the light switch overhead that time. I didn't know it as when you get out those lights stay on for a few minutes. I'm sure thats what drained the battery the first time as it was an unrealistic freezing winter. I charged the battery the next day and started looking back there every time we got out after that making sure they went off.  If I locked the doors, they went off faster. So I have no clue what caused it the 2nd & 3rd times? Ill wait and see if it ever does it again as it has a new batter now. Its a 2021 model so the battery should have been new to begin with. Maybe that below 40 wind shill night did it in? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 1:40 PM, mihcmac said:

Well once again having coffee and a donut, Dazed and Confused while in glazed stare looking my Wilshire in its case at my feet, wondering why Epiphone made me wait soooo long for them to reintroduce this model.

B9MGFcc.jpg

A very nice Epiphone. Love the case too, I've never seen a Epiphone come with a case.  That one cost you much? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Retired said:

A very nice Epiphone. Love the case too, I've never seen a Epiphone come with a case.  That one cost you much? 

 My Wilshire was $449 without a case, it is recommended to use an SG case which I bought later. This guitar has become my favorite over my others. 

AovIPtC.jpg

This 59 style Wilshire is based on the first solid body Epiphone designed by Gibson Kalamazoo.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mihcmac said:

 My Wilshire was $449 without a case, it is recommended to use an SG case which I bought later. This guitar has become my favorite over my others. 

AovIPtC.jpg

This 59 style Wilshire is based on the first solid body Epiphone designed by Gibson Kalamazoo.

A very noice looking guitar, I tend to play my Epiphones much more than the Gibson.  But I love the Gibson much more, Maybe it's the; "I don't want the Gibson scratched or chipped? Lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mihcmac said:

 My Wilshire was $449 without a case, it is recommended to use an SG case which I bought later. This guitar has become my favorite over my others. 

AovIPtC.jpg

This 59 style Wilshire is based on the first solid body Epiphone designed by Gibson Kalamazoo.

Speaking of Kalamazoo,  I used to have THIS "honey" .    [wink]

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/adDetails/431

Whitefang

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I went swimming, got my hair cut after many months, paid £££ for another year's road tax on my car and worried about money I don't have.  

Obviously I need to sell a guitar, and I'm thinking about selling my last big Fender amp too. 

No gigs.  But I still practice every day, some days much harder than others.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A frozen microwave breakfast with four cups of coffee while watching a little ESPN.  A trip to the hardware store for some fence gate repair stuff.  I had lunch and three beers at my favorite taco place, then supper and three beers and a shot of Patron at my favorite sports bar.  It was not a very productive day. 

I'll fix the fence gate tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jdgm said:

Today I went swimming, got my hair cut after many months, paid £££ for another year's road tax on my car and worried about money I don't have.  

Obviously I need to sell a guitar, and I'm thinking about selling my last big Fender amp too. 

No gigs.  But I still practice every day, some days much harder than others.  

Do you get your hair cut a couple times a year like me too? My mustache constantly grows faster than the hairs on my head. 

Deb & I watched Reagan and afterwards, I touched up some grey paint here and there. Bedroom, art room and hallway done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...