Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

On 3/3/2020 at 4:29 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I dumped last one after the infamous Mark video.  Virginia is humid but not as humid as Hawaii. Lived there for a year and a half. Had fun and enjoyed being called a Haole. Oh well at least milk isn't $5 a gallon where I live. 

My 97 Gibson Blues Hawk didn't fair very well here, but my Epi Blueshawk still looks great and for me a better guitar anyway.. Hmmm, looks like all my remaining guitars are from China, finally have no more Nitro.. 🙂 

I just got my FRS back from the body shop from having its driver door replaced and all of its little dings repaired. Looks like a bran new car again.. 🙂🙂 

Edited by mihcmac

10 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Rabs,

Good to see you are back to building again. I love the look of spalted maple. And ebony!

3 hours ago, rct said:

Good to see Rabs making guitars again.

Stay with it Tman.  It isn't like you don't have the experience to get through some tough stuff.

rct

Cheers guys.. It does feel good to be back at it and has been a long time coming now..  One of these is going to be for me (the walnut one) and the other is going to be for my friend who passed away just over a year ago and that will either go to his family if they want it or I will sell it and give the money to a charity in his name.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I had to quit after my hospital release last year. I felt better too, and slept better, which was a massive bonus for me. After 3 months I started back though (because I was allowed) but its good to know I can just stop anytime I like. 

Good luck Tman 🙂

4 hours ago, rct said:

Good to see Rabs making guitars again.

Stay with it Tman.  It isn't like you don't have the experience to get through some tough stuff.

rct

Thanks for the encouragement!

Day 3! I do feel better and slept better. 

I did some genetic testing for my ancestry but also health recommendations. The predictions of how I handle types of foods as well as stress were remarkably accurate. All the way down to predictions of ease of soft tissue injuries (lumbar discs). Says I should concentrate on polyunsaturated fats like fish and walnuts. Guess what's for dinner tonight? We'll see how it goes and if I can lose and maintain easier..

• Like 1

Rosary Tuesday night and Funeral today for my Dads oldest brother Wayne, He was 98 years old,so he lived a good long life and was independent until last April when he went in assisted living. He joins my dad and the other 3 brothers in paradise.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 8:28 AM, merciful-evans said:

Drove down to a seldom visited section of coastline. Walked a few miles along there.  Got my step rate up pretty good. 🙂

Just ordered some Strap locks (see Schaller thread). 👌

Checked out and removed a very convincing looking scam e-mail. 🙁

Very shortly I will prepare for this evenings dance. \:D/

3 out of 4 aint bad!

Sounds like a good day!

On 3/3/2020 at 1:55 PM, Tman said:

Began my 2nd day of no drinking. All of March and maybe later until I drop 18 pounds. Wish me luck.

I can say I slept well and woke up feeling better than I have in a long time. I'm doing it with my wife and keyboard player bandmate.

You have my support and good vibes, Tman. My son was (I guess still is) an alcoholic. He gained so much weight that he has stretch marks on his belly and his doctor told him he didn't think he would live past 35 years old. After a couple of failed attempts, he finally quit. That was almost 6 years ago. His weight has dropped from 320lbs down to 185lbs. He is healthy and strong again and his liver has completely recovered. You can do this too, Tman. You are in my prayers.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:17 PM, Rabs said:

Started making two new guitars today... First time in about two years.....

One is going to be Walnut and Spalted Maple.

Good to hear that you're back in the saddle again, as we say in these parts! The woods you chose are beautiful and I can't wait to see you do your magic with them.

1 hour ago, Marky Forrest said:

You have my support and good vibes, Tman. My son was (I guess still is) an alcoholic. He gained so much weight that he has stretch marks on his belly and his doctor told him he didn't think he would live past 35 years old. After a couple of failed attempts, he finally quit. That was almost 6 years ago. His weight has dropped from 320lbs down to 185lbs. He is healthy and strong again and his liver has completely recovered. You can do this too, Tman. You are in my prayers.

Great story Marky, more power to him!

• Like 1

Wet yesterday so we went into town to pick up a few things, tools I need etc. Also looked at small trailers and will likely order one today. Our farm trailer isn’t suitable for highway use now. I’ll probably order it today.

Recieved a phone call last night to say that early next week we are getting a 20’ shipping container delivered free of charge because we are fire victims. My farm shed will, likely take months to be replaced and ATM I have lots of expensive equipment sitting around unsecured. 

There are some wonderful people out there, supplier, truckies , all working for nothing. Very grateful!

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Wet yesterday so we went into town to pick up a few things, tools I need etc. Also looked at small trailers and will likely order one today. Our farm trailer isn’t suitable for highway use now. I’ll probably order it today.

Recieved a phone call last night to say that early next week we are getting a 20’ shipping container delivered free of charge because we are fire victims. My farm shed will, likely take months to be replaced and ATM I have lots of expensive equipment sitting around unsecured. 

There are some wonderful people out there, supplier, truckies , all working for nothing. Very grateful!

Continued luck to you digger.  Hearing  things are moving forward is a happy sound, good to hear there are some good folks out there helping you all out.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

Rosary Tuesday night and Funeral today for my Dads oldest brother Wayne, He was 98 years old,so he lived a good long life and was independent until last April when he went in assisted living. He joins my dad and the other 3 brothers in paradise.

Sorry to hear that..  98 is a good innings though...  I lost my father and my best friend just over a year ago both to cancer,. My friend was only 43, just feels so wrong.. He was a talented musician and still had so much more to give  😞  Thus is life.

Edited by Rabs

And for me today..  A bit more guitar work.. Its such sods law that the week I had put down to make these guitars is the week my brother in law decided to visit... Its slowed me down a bit but still got some stuff done.

And for those that don't know, I have been working in a proper wood workshop since last April.. So where I was working in a garage with hand tools.. I now get to use all of this cool (and admittedly very dangerous) stuff 😄

71PrmpY.jpg

So where I was cutting neck angles by hand or if I could with a jigsaw (that never really cuts straight). I can now do it perfectly in seconds  😄

qbYFCBQ.jpg

VmWArv1.jpg

Same with the other neck piece.. It was wide enough for two necks.. Cut it in half on the table saw in seconds

ZtLm9Rq.jpg

And cleaned the edges of the bodies up on the bobbin sander]

kNrXzRP.jpg

And jointed a top on the jointer/planer

0JVxjEm.jpga

All done within 30 mins  😄 (I shaped the fretboards too but forgot to picture that)

NfWtvU9.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rct said:

The saws and drills and stuff go backwards like how you guys drive right?

rct

Yes, like our clocks....and we are all utebatur sinistram

.....plus our noses run and our feet smell.

And that is.....Absolutely true.

:-$

Edited by jdgm
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Sorry to hear that..  98 is a good innings though...  I lost my father and my best friend just over a year ago both to cancer,. My friend was only 43, just feels so wrong.. He was a talented musician and still had so much more to give  😞  Thus is life.

Thanks Rabs,good memories.

Today I'm working on 2 new style disks (almost complete) and 3 new fake disks (the last one is close to complete) for Band-in-a-Box. It's been a 2 year work in progress, and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now it's taking up all my spare time -- which isn't much -- and I hope to get the install packages complete, web pages up, and notices out by May at the latest.

It's an artistic outlet for me, as all the snippets of music have been created and/or recorded by myself (drums, bass, keys, comp parts, and so on). They are all recorded with MIDI so the end Band-in-a-Box users can play with them, change them, modify them to their heart's content. And I have end users in over 100 countries.

If you have any interest at all in that, you can go to http://www.nortonmusic.com for info.

It started as a hobby in 1992, at the urging from my friends who I gave my creations to I took out an ad in a trade mag and it's been quite a ride so far.

Notes

59 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Today I'm working on 2 new style disks (almost complete) and 3 new fake disks (the last one is close to complete) for Band-in-a-Box. It's been a 2 year work in progress, and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now it's taking up all my spare time -- which isn't much -- and I hope to get the install packages complete, web pages up, and notices out by May at the latest.

It's an artistic outlet for me, as all the snippets of music have been created and/or recorded by myself (drums, bass, keys, comp parts, and so on). They are all recorded with MIDI so the end Band-in-a-Box users can play with them, change them, modify them to their heart's content. And I have end users in over 100 countries.

If you have any interest at all in that, you can go to http://www.nortonmusic.com for info.

It started as a hobby in 1992, at the urging from my friends who I gave my creations to I took out an ad in a trade mag and it's been quite a ride so far.

Notes

Very cool story to hear, best of luck for continued success!

• Like 1

Keeps you off the streets I suppose Bob..Grin~

Yesterday we had a builder here assessing repairs to and around the house from our insurance company. That wrote my morning off!

Then after lunch we had girls from a local health organisation here looking to help. That wrote off the afternoon.  Crikey if all the words were dollars I’d be a bloody millionaire! That’s another day I won’t get back!

Then there’s the practical side and a group of volunteers are starting to rebuild our burned fences today. It’s a long weekend and the various organisations are flooded with volunteers wanting to help fire victims.

However the task of rebuilding this country is huge.

• Like 2