Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

No time for the old in out, mum, just stopped by to read the meter!

Always did like that movie.

That particular one is the real thing, a Locke & Co. Hard Coke, the original hard hat for the horsie set.  I'm afraid it's too small for me but it was only $20.  It belonged to a Scottish immigrant who would only wear it on special occasions (along with his kilt, ha, ha).

If you're into hats you'll quickly discover that each generation's heads get larger so getting vintage hats in your size is a bit of a challenge.

I do have a derby from the cast of My Fair Lady which fits fairly well.  The owner who sold it to me was just so happy to find someone who was interested in hearing about his Broadway days as a young man.  To his wife it was just another boring story and the hat was old junk to throw away.

Edited by SteveFord

10 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

No time for the old in out, mum, just stopped by to read the meter!

Always did like that movie.

That particular one is the real thing, a Locke & Co. Hard Coke, the original hard hat for the horsie set.  I'm afraid it's too small for me but it was only $20.  It belonged to a Scottish immigrant who would only wear it on special occasions (along with his kilt, ha, ha).

If you're into hats you'll quickly discover that each generation's heads get larger so getting vintage hats in your size is a bit of a challenge.

I do have a derby from the cast of My Fair Lady which fits fairly well.  The owner who sold it to me was just so happy to find someone who was interested in hearing about his Broadway days as a young man.  To his wife it was just another boring story and the hat was old junk to throw away.

Wasn't FZ wearing a bowler on the inside of the Hot Rats gate fold? I always try to wear fitted ball caps when I can get them in my size. I have a tiny bean. It is 6 and 3/4 or maybe 5/8. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Yep, he had a bowler on his head.

You'd be in luck as there are TONS of old sub-7 hats for sale out there.

I doubt they'll ever come back into fashion but that's okay, more for me!

syu52LJ.jpg

Is Frank in Czechoslovakia? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

We ran Deb's car over to Firestone for tire rotation, oil change & front end alignment. Seemed to take forever so I mowed and after we picked up her car, I filled up the Ascent.  Then decided to run over to Wall Mart and use the gift card I got yesterday. Bought a 2 1/2 ton Floor Jack and a hacksaw.  Then installed a new fire extinguisher She bought as the last one was a free gift from Union Pacific RR in the 70's. Didn't think it worked and never have used it. Very small anyway it was. I installed the new one, took the old one outside and grabbed a mallet hammer, Tap Tap Tap, turned it over, Tap Tap Tap. Held it over the trash can and tried a small spray. Lol, It still works like new.  So I might put it somewhere else. We will have 2. 

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Cobain fooled us all with that one song cause he apparently did have a gun. There music struck a nerve with some and ruined a few carreres. I can take a song or two then Nirpvana gets old and sounds the same. To me Dave is still and will always be a drummer. The Foos are another band I just don’t get. My brother in law puts them on a pedestal.

I know people who really like the Foo Fighters, I just find them... well, bland. I've tried, but I just fall asleep. 

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Bought another hat for some odd reason.

I've probably got 60 of them already but I don't have a modern Stetson Whippet so why not.

SmIta3L.jpg

Nice hat Mr. Ford. Like the style & colour.

I have a Stetson pork pie. One of many pork pies acquired over the years. Just one trilby/fedora. Thing is, I cant wear them anymore. Cherry tells me I should just keep them for on stage. She just doesn't want to be seen out with me wearing one. With no gigs in sight, I'm now down to wearing Beanies & baseball hats like everyone else. 

So enjoy your hats man!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I have a Stetson pork pie. One of many pork pies acquired over the years. Just one trilby/fedora. Thing is, I cant wear them anymore. Cherry tells me I should just keep them for on stage. She just doesn't want to be seen out with me wearing one. With no gigs in sight, I'm now down to wearing Beanies & baseball hats like everyone else. 

So enjoy your hats man!

Yeah, Steve.  I like me my Fedora.  Hoping to score a few more, and I also like those caps known as "newsboy's" .  I have a few of those as well.

Whitefang

• Like 1

As luck would have it, I stumbled across this old Champ brand fedora for $10.  Can't pass that up!

They went out of business a long time ago.  If you look at the bottom of the ribbon you can see the wind cord, it's a button with a string attached to it that goes into your shirt buttonhole to keep it from being blown down the road.

TvJ1uIp.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2021 at 4:15 AM, merciful-evans said:

So enjoy your hats man!

Cool, I have a black hat in that style. I have a  Sam Elliott long mustache like he had in Tombstone so the hat looks cool on me. What I like about it is it covers up my balding top Lol. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Retired said:

Cool, I have a black hat in that style. I have a  Sam Elliott long mustache like he had in Tombstone so the hat looks cool on me. What I like about it is it covers up my balding top Lol. 

Hair loss prompted me trimming my hair to 3 (3/8") way back in my 40s. That's when I realised I needed hats. You only become aware of what hair does once its gone. 

Summer hat: stops your head burning 

Winter hat: warmth (hair is good for warmth)

• Like 2

Something similar to rat poison, Plavix?  

I know they have the dose too high, I'm always frozen.  Before they put me on that junk I was always boiling.

How can you ride a motorcycle in the Winter?  Easy, bundle up and look out for the ice...

16 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Hair loss prompted me trimming my hair to 3 (3/8") way back in my 40s. That's when I realised I needed hats. You only become aware of what hair does once its gone. 

Summer hat: stops your head burning 

Winter hat: warmth (hair is good for warmth)

Yep. My problem was: I had a headful of hair that was naturally curly and long like an afro, A tall afro if you get my meaning. When I went through the first 3 Chemo sessions from that tumor, the doctor was super impressed my hair was still there. I was supposed to have looked like Kojak. So he put me through my first radiation and said, Get ready for all your hair coming out.  It didn't and he was shocked. Then I had the 2nd radiation treatment and the hair was still there and he was at a loss for words. Deb said my hair smelled a little burnt from them and suggested I wash it in the shower. To my surprise, It all kept coming out more and more in the shower as I washed, when I stepped out it was completely bald. Deb was shocked and I told her its all your fault! Lol I was not expected to get my hair back with all they did to me. 

Mowed, the sprinkler guy came and added one in the flower bed. then I watched Reagan as Deb left for her aunts house. She came out with me and picked up the sticks as I cut them off the front bush. Grandma came back & I was quickly abandoned so she could play with Gandma' as she calls her. Lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went for my morning swim....good....but I've lost form in the past year. 

When I got back I had my coffee after a bacon, cheese and lettuce sandwich with mayo and chopped spring onion.  

It's been a rainy day so I stayed indoors and powered up my Dual Showman which I am going to run every day this week as it's been sitting unused in the cupboard for over a year now.  I have another couple of amps which need the same.  Today I played the ES175 (with P94s) through it for a few hours, just got lost in it - clean at a moderate volume, fiddled around with reverb and vib/trem settings.  It still sounds beautiful to my ears, that typical 70s silverface Fender clean sound.  I might sell it but want to use it on a gig or 2 first.

Edited by jdgm

Played golf today.  We were going to go about an hour and half down to a cool course in Georgia, but there was a pretty good chance of rain and we didn't want to drive that far and get rained out.  So we played a local course up here and the weather turned pretty nice so it turned out well and we didn't have to drive all that way.  Had a 77 (par 71 course) so was pleased with that - made two early birdies that really helped keep the score down.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:05 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wasn't FZ wearing a bowler on the inside of the Hot Rats gate fold? I always try to wear fitted ball caps when I can get them in my size. I have a tiny bean. It is 6 and 3/4 or maybe 5/8. 

Mine used to be large when I had a whole head of hair, Was it Clarence Williams with that big afro? That was my hair before the cancer. Now I'm more like Kojak.  My old hats just blow right off my head in the wind now, HaHa. 

• Like 1