Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

I have gotten pretty good at preparing ribs the Memphis style, and slow-baked in the oven at that. 
Today I smoked a couple of slabs of ribs, St Louis style. 

Six hours of dedicated smoking and tending. 

Good stuff, with cole slaw, red potato salad, and some cucumber salad (German prepared) from my garden. 

Mmm..mmm.mmm.mmmmm!

😀

gNbEP56.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I have gotten pretty good at preparing ribs the Memphis style, and slow-baked in the oven at that. 
Today I smoked a couple of slabs of ribs, St Louis style. 

Six hours of dedicated smoking and tending. 

Good stuff, with cole slaw, red potato salad, and some cucumber salad (German prepared) from my garden. 

Mmm..mmm.mmm.mmmmm!

😀

gNbEP56.jpg

Wowsers !     I can taste them from here !!!     Smoking is a time consuming (and beer consuming) endeavor.   More work than Thanksgiving Dinner.  

• Like 1

Booked to play a gig this evening 40-odd miles away. 

So I prepared (as you do); ate early, had a rest, bit of a warm up, loaded the gear in the car, checklist, all the usual things; started off in plenty of time so I didn't have to rush, and mentally went over what I was going to play during the drive.

We were due to play at a pub but outside  - in their garden, which has a nice covered stage and covered seating for the crowd.  I got there in plenty of time.

But.......

EDIT - have reposted this in the thread about it which I optimistically started when I got the call that we were booked.   Apologies, should have done that last night when I wrote it.

Best wishes to all.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow.  That really socks.   Many things people do because they love to do them -  avocations, not 'hobbies' - are trivialized by people who are clueless.   Making beautiful birdhouses, porch signs or leather products- people think they should be able to buy them for the same price the ones mass produced in China sell for.    Here,  people in a new sub-division tried to shut down a Gun Range.  They moved in, knowing it was there and had been for 50 years - but thought they had the right to put it out of business.     Sounds like you have an inept city council:  they probably prohibited indoor dining AND performances a year ago - now they're banning outdoors ones.   I think Western Civilization has tanked.  We've given too much power to the tinpot dictators on school boards, corporate boards and editorial boards.  

Don't give up on music - if you've loved it since the 70s it is too much a part of you.  Not to be cold - but get a new singer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Big Island its easy to run  out of places to play, with my type of group we were usually looking for theaters to put on shows or place like the Hard Rock or civic-centers. Anyway most of the local bands that want o be successful usually have travel to Oahu. I had my weekend jam today with our new young female singer, it went very well, for some reason she likes singing Ancient Aliens Rock. I could see us looking for a suitable venue some time in the future, the trouble is that most of the descent places to play are on the other side of the Island, a few hours drive away. Many of the bars on our side have closed down and were not that great to start with. So we will have to get creative. At 71 I  still can't stop....

Edited by mihcmac

Its just that our singer is less than half my age, even though she is a mother and her peak era was just a few years ago. We are playing loosely translated pre-millennial  songs from the 60's, 70.s, 80's and 90's. So Ancient Alien Rock was just a term I came up with to describe how far removed I am from her loop. But, she has a good rich voice, good presence and sings with authority.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I might  be a bit too ensconced within my eclectic musical tastes, but I need to ask for an explanation of just what "Ancient Aliens" rock is.    [confused]   I haven't watched that show in many moons, so I'm a bit out of that loop.  [wink]

Whitefang

Aaaah...  Thanks for asking.    I thought it was a reference to  Rascal Flats.  

• Haha 1

Another bright shiny day, my coffee its starting to take hold and my eyes starting to come into focus. Think I should take my Scion out for a spin, when I wake up.                   She's waiting patiently for me..

sYH1BLY.jpg

** just got back from Kilauea National Park about a 16 mi drive from my house and another 2500', so its uphill all of the way, my car didn't seem to notice.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

I bought a bottle of champagne for my eldest sister whose birthday it is this weekend...off to see her tomorrow - 1st time in 2 years!

Even the cheaper stuff is expensive now. 

Thinking about buying another LP-style guitar but I don't need another guitar.