Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Rob, I'm glad to see progress rebuilding your country.

I've been through a few devastating hurricanes (just a fraction of what you all went through) and I know that the insurance companies, construction industries, government aid entities, and everything else is just overwhelmed with an amount of work nobody prepared for.

From what I saw of you and many other Australians, the work will get done and many will pitch in to help.

This too will pass and things will get better.

Bob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

Rabs, nice wood!  Glad to see another guitar in progress.

Cheers man.. Much appreciated. I am happy to be back at it. Even though I am working part time too. So progress will be a bit slow.

Also... Making these two guitars that I am currently doing I hope will do one of two things. Either re-invigorate my building or maybe will make me decide not to keep on trying to do this as a job.. I have been weighing up if I should even bother trying to continue or not for a while now. These two guitars are being built for a purpose. After that we will see.

42 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Rabs very cool looking project..

Getting ready for may afternoon jam, trying to decide which guitars to take, hmmm haven't played my Explorer at outdoor volume through my new tube amp yet.. 

Cheers.. I have a mock up here of roughly what I want it to look like (and obviously with my headstock, not that, errrm familiar ish looking one below 8-[

jkIh4XA.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Cheers.. I have a mock up here of roughly what I want it to look like (and obviously with my headstock, not that, errrm familiar ish looking one below 8-[

jkIh4XA.jpg

Yess.....looks good; inc wood trc and big inlays?

You'll be binding 'em next!

Best wishes [thumbup]

1 minute ago, jdgm said:

Yess.....looks good; inc wood trc and big inlays?

You'll be binding 'em next!

Best wishes [thumbup]

Cheers. And yeah block inlays (one of my favourites). I have done body binding but not neck or headstock binding.. This one I want to be fairly plain on those terms... The spalted top and walnut back will look good enough without them or any stains  🙂 Just nice natural oil finish.

Yeah I have to agree and encourage, those build threads were cool.  I know it wasn't exactly easy in addition to what you were already doing, but they were nice or top or pip pip or whatever the hellz you people say over there.

rct

🙂  Cheers fellas...

Well I stopped posting them when I actually went in to business.. Just didn't feel right to do so when I was also selling guitars. Not that I would ever be any threat to Gibson. Also the mods always treated me very fairly on here and I really appreciated that.. So I am just trying to be respectful..

I take pictures to record my builds to put on Facebook and make videos for YouTube.. So posting the on here would be a pleasure. I just worry im not errrm..  Authentic enough?  😛 😄

18 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Rob, I'm glad to see progress rebuilding your country.

I've been through a few devastating hurricanes (just a fraction of what you all went through) and I know that the insurance companies, construction industries, government aid entities, and everything else is just overwhelmed with an amount of work nobody prepared for.

From what I saw of you and many other Australians, the work will get done and many will pitch in to help.

This too will pass and things will get better.

Bob

Thanks Bob and I endorse your words from our experience so far. We have had a steady stream of volunteer helpers, wonderful people to a person!

We are moving steadily forward and are coping pretty well. Still an experience that I wouldn’t wish on anyone but we will be OK and our home will slowly come together again.

Best wishes to you and Leilani my friend.

2 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

That looks great!  Then again, I'm a fan of traditional body shape doublecuts.

Played one at my big 60th Birfday Bash in 2018!

52363113_10156961239293879_7116754487280

NIce.. I have a DC Special.. Love that guitar.. The necks play like butter

fXyOMFy.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

I love 'em in red!  I have the Hamer USA version, that I added a pickguard to.

75266224_10157609744318879_7375936771248

Nice.. I had one for a while but just found it ok.. If I knew then what I know now about modding and building I probably would have kept it and changed the pickups and stuff.  Always liked the DC shape.. Always wanted to try a DC standard.

fK6GQFo.jpg

The stock photos

4Yb9Hal.jpg

TY2fwtd.jpg

• Like 1