Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

22 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

.....but you digress.

More to the point, I'm sitting by the window waiting for the snow to stop falling so I can shovel the three foot drifts from the porch and driveway.

RBSinTo

One of the many good things about being retired - you don't have to get the driveway cleared before you get ready for work, then go out and clear the wall of hard snow the plows threw up to block your driveway.   So you can leave by 7am.    You can spend time googling hockey goalie gloves to realize the similarities and differences to baseball catchers mitts.  And you can point out that pages of discussion of P90s is a digression on a thread about 'what did you do today'.   

75 in May -  I went for a 7 mile walk (actually a 'hike')  a few weeks ago and realized I couldn't do it daily - like you do - because it took me three days to recover.  Technically, it was  "a walk in the park"   except for the elevation changes and loose rocks and gravel.

I'd gladly like to be able to just walk around the block.  But my lower back,  weakened by  fusion surgery won't allow it.  Unless I'm willing to use a walker while I travel.  But then too, the lymphedema  might add another dimension of difficulty to  the effort.

To RBSin I'd say I never did like shoveling snow.  But as it was necessary at times, did so without grumbling about it.  While most of the time having my car running with the heater blowing full blast with the setting for my windshield  turned on.  By the time I was done shoveling the walks the car's windows would be clear of any snow or ice and a push broom would clean the rest of it off.  [wink]

But today,  my latest Covid test came back negative and I'll soon be off to get my booster finally.

Whitefang

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

One of the many good things about being retired - you don't have to get the driveway cleared before you get ready for work, then go out and clear the wall of hard snow the plows threw up to block your driveway.   So you can leave by 7am.    You can spend time googling hockey goalie gloves to realize the similarities and differences to baseball catchers mitts.  And you can point out that pages of discussion of P90s is a digression on a thread about 'what did you do today'.   

75 in May -  I went for a 7 mile walk (actually a 'hike')  a few weeks ago and realized I couldn't do it daily - like you do - because it took me three days to recover.  Technically, it was  "a walk in the park"   except for the elevation changes and loose rocks and gravel.

fyp.,

In the unfashionable part of the Galaxy where we live, the Municipal government offers a service to seniors that after the plows have finished the street, a second plow comes by and clears the snow piled across the end of their driveways.

And while it's a minor point, goaltenders' catching gloves bear no relation to Baseball Catcher's mitts. The modern glove evolved from a First Baseman's trapper, and in the 1950's, consisted of Trappers with added leather protective cuffs. 

My walks evolved over the last year.  I started walking through the neighbourhood, and over time kept adding additional streets. Currently, I go about 6.5 miles in almost exactly two hours, and don't think I'll add to the route.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I'd gladly like to be able to just walk around the block.  But my lower back,  weakened by  fusion surgery won't allow it.  Unless I'm willing to use a walker while I travel.  But then too, the lymphedema  might add another dimension of difficulty to  the effort.

To RBSin I'd say I never did like shoveling snow.  But as it was necessary at times, did so without grumbling about it.  While most of the time having my car running with the heater blowing full blast with the setting for my windshield  turned on.  By the time I was done shoveling the walks the car's windows would be clear of any snow or ice and a push broom would clean the rest of it off.  [wink]

But today,  my latest Covid test came back negative and I'll soon be off to get my booster finally.

Whitefang

Whitefang,

Sorry to hear about your medical problems. While I've abused and beaten the $h1t out of my body, I'm lucky that nothing is so bad that with stubbornness and Ibuprofen I can't overcome it.

As for shovelling snow, it's just a part of our culture as Canadians.

Winter comes. It snows. We shovel it.

RBSinTo

14 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Retired,

Actually no.

I'm 73 (will be 74 in April), and have Spinal Stenosis, deteriorating  discs, as well as an artificial hip and two shot knees ( much of this caused by 60 years and counting of hockey goaltending).

However, as I tell my wife, " I'm not infirm, just old", so I  put on my Big Boy pants, and shovel my own driveway.

Did it twice yesterday, as it snowed off and on all day.

No big deal. 

And because the roads weren't plowed until late in the day, I couldn't take my usual  daily 6-1/2 mile walk, so the three hours I spent shovelling made up for it. 

Exercise, lots of fresh air and a clean driveway. A win-win.

RBSinTo

Oh, so you're 5 years older than me. Good for you in trying to keep in shape with the health problems. Yeah, hockey is a ruff game. I screwed up my back at 16 doing heavy squats in my bedroom. That has haunted me ever since but didn't stop me either. At 55 to 58, I was still squatting 545 pounds for reps. Then things started to go backwards in my 60's. 

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Good for you on the negative test Ken. 

21 minutes ago, Retired said:

Oh, so you're 5 years older than me. Good for you in trying to keep in shape with the health problems. Yeah, hockey is a ruff game. I screwed up my back at 16 doing heavy squats in my bedroom. That has haunted me ever since but didn't stop me either. At 55 to 58, I was still squatting 545 pounds for reps. Then things started to go backwards in my 60's. 

Still a youngster I see, I’ll be 72 in a few months and enjoy Katana Kata’s.. Gota push my Briggs through the front lawn tomorrow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Still a youngster I see, I’ll be 72 in a few months and enjoy Katana Kata’s.. Gota push my Briggs through the front lawn tomorrow.

Haha. Truthful, when I went through the brain cancer in 88, being an experiment and all they did to me, (I wasn't expected to live anyway so it was all for science anyway.) I felt that I did age 10 years as doctors said I would feel. So maybe I'm really 78? Haha, Just think I'm 78 in dog years. Lol. 

15 minutes ago, Retired said:

Haha. Truthful, when I went through the brain cancer in 88, being an experiment and all they did to me, (I wasn't expected to live anyway so it was all for science anyway.) I felt that I did age 10 years as doctors said I would feel. So maybe I'm really 78? Haha, Just think I'm 78 in dog years. Lol. 

Glad you are still here…..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Glad you are still here…..

Thank you. Deb is very thankful also, lol. She tells me with 8  close calls with death, I am a cat with 9 lives, Haha.  Now I heard that each time I go outside to work, she is watching me the whole time I'm outside. I had to laugh. 

46 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Wondered how long a standard Gibson 5/16" truss rod wrench is, top to bottom. Seems I have misplaced my ruler. If anyone with one handy cares to measure, I'd be grateful. 

My Gibson wrench measures 2-7/8" or 73mm from end to end and the socket is 13/16" tall or about 20mm..

As there are variations in the wrenches, mine looks like the one below and came with my 96 SG-X.

9640810_800.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

All this talk of walking resonates with me. I did 75 minutes this morning which is still 45 short of what I like to do daily. My weight has been creeping up for the last year. Walking helps with that. 

For 2 weeks over the seasonal holiday Cherry & I did a home sit which entailed walking a dog twice a day for at least 2 hours. That was helpful. Sometimes we walked more than 3 hours.

For all you fellows who cant or struggle to walk. I feel for you. It reminds me that I'm lucky. It also motivates me to keep moving. Do whatever you still can fellows. Our health is precious. 

I'll try to do another walk this afternoon/evening.

Edited by merciful-evans
oversight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

I think I'll bail too. Making Boba Fett a nice guy... yuk.

Plus, no plot so far, really.

I’ve watched all 4 now. It’s really bad. I noticed all the stuff they are doing to modern it up. The kids Blombo Flarf employs looks like they have Vespa floating scooters and it also looked the the gang of bad guys in the desert riding the floating things had Biker Jackets on with their Gang Patch sewn on the back. What silliness.

Yeah they are turning him into a wussy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’ve watched all 4 now. It’s really bad. I noticed all the stuff they are doing to modern it up. The kids Blombo Flarf employs looks like they have Vespa floating scooters and it also looked the the gang of bad guys in the desert riding the floating things had Biker Jackets on with their Gang Patch sewn on the back. What silliness.

Yeah they are turning him into a wussy.

Yeah, the kids he employs look like... well, they don't look much like the street kids they're supposed to be. More like Hot Topic rejects.

I watched some of episode 4 today, before I realized I'd spent 2 hours or so total of my life watching it, and nothing's really happened in the plot. Think I'll geezer it up and watch "Get back" again instead.

9 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Yeah, the kids he employs look like... well, they don't look much like the street kids they're supposed to be. More like Hot Topic rejects.

I watched some of episode 4 today, before I realized I'd spent 2 hours or so total of my life watching it, and nothing's really happened in the plot. Think I'll geezer it up and watch "Get back" again instead.

It is going nowhere, just a bunch of flashbacks and it goes all over the place. I think Blamo Flap is gonna start hading out Girl Scout Cookies in the next one. 

Episode one should have been his back story on how he became Babbo Fern and then the rest be up to the current time and go on. Like everything else they will milk it till its dry.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 1/18/2022 at 6:28 PM, Retired said:

I tuned the Riviera which was barely out. But the G string doesn't sound right although the new tuner says its correct.  It just sounds dull and off. Maybe the string is bad?  I thought the D was off some also. 

When strings start to sound dull its usually an indicator that its time to replace them. Also the easiest way to replace strings when you have a Bigsby is one string at time and tune it and stress each one individually a few times as you are putting them on.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 7:36 AM, merciful-evans said:

All this talk of walking resonates with me. I did 75 minutes this morning which is still 45 short of what I like to do daily. My weight has been creeping up for the last year. Walking helps with that. 

For 2 weeks over the seasonal holiday Cherry & I did a home sit which entailed walking a dog twice a day for at least 2 hours. That was helpful. Sometimes we walked more than 3 hours.

For all you fellows who cant or struggle to walk. I feel for you. It reminds me that I'm lucky. It also motivates me to keep moving. Do whatever you still can fellows. Our health is precious. 

I'll try to do another walk this afternoon/evening.

Since Covid hit, We quit the gym. I usually got bronchitis there at least twice a year. Too many sick people came and stayed in the saunas & spreading their germs around. I didn't think it was worth it to stay there anymore. I need to lose a few pounds also. 

6 hours ago, mihcmac said:

When strings start to sound dull its usually an indicator that its time to replace them. Also the easiest way to replace strings when you have a Bigsby is one string at time and tune it and stress each one individually a few times as you are putting them on.

Thanks, I have some for it and guess it's time to do that.  I have been playing it a bit and can using the Bigsby like on surf songs mess them up? Thats what I was doing.  I noticed using it, kept knocking them out of tune a bit. 

19 hours ago, Retired said:

Thanks, I have some for it and guess it's time to do that.  I have been playing it a bit and can using the Bigsby like on surf songs mess them up? Thats what I was doing.  I noticed using it, kept knocking them out of tune a bit. 

Tremolos love new strings, but need to be stressed a bit so that they set correctly. 🙂

• Like 1