Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335TD Custom Shop???

leftyfirebird

1 hour ago, leftyfirebird said:

I'm looking to buy a 2011 ES-335TD Dot Cherry and it is being billed as a custom. The serial number, 13431712 seems to indicate that is is not a custom. Seller says that he is the original owner and has the certificate of authenticity. What do you guys think?

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 6.25.13 PM.png

Ask him to take a picture of the back of the headstock where it meets the neck to see if it has the custom logo there. It might have been made in the Custom Shop. My BB King was not a custom, but I think built there.

All 335's made during that period came with a certificate and "Custom" on the case, my 2010 has it, but it was not made in the Custom Shop, it was made at the Memphis factory so the Custom aspect of it is a little misleading.

Of course if you are selling then it becomes a Custom😉 

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

All 335's made during that period came with a certificate and "Custom" on the case, my 2010 has it, but it was not made in the Custom Shop, it was made at the Memphis factory so the Custom aspect of it is a little misleading.

Of course if you are selling then it becomes a Custom😉 

So how do you like it? $2300 a good price? It is in great condition 

20 hours ago, leftyfirebird said:

So how do you like it? $2300 a good price? It is in great condition 

I think my 335 is a great guitar and is without doubt the most versatile guitar that I have, it has a very "woody" sound to it that sets it apart from a Les Paul.

I have no doubt that you will be satisfied once you have a 335/345/355.

Regarding the price, I really can't help you very much because I'm not very familiar with US prices (I'm in the UK) but converting it into pounds that works out at roughly £1771, so it's probably not far off if it's in good condition, but I would suggest looking on Reverb to get an idea of how much they sell for in the US.

The very best of luck,

Ian

I have a 2011 Dot.  It was made in Memphis.  It's not a Custom Shop guitar.  For awhile they were calling the Memphis factory as the "Memphis Custom Shop."  It was just the Memphis factory.  They just tried to take some of the glitter from the real custom shop and sprinkled it on the Memphis factory in hopes that everybody would think they were something they weren't.