Gibson Brands Forums

d'addario 12's to 13's or 13's to 12's

eeh1

It depends a lot on how 'borderline' your truss rod adjustment is. There is no problem structurally but it will shift the neck a tiny bit and a truss rod adjustment will likely be in order. This isn't a big deal and it's been my experience that on a Gibson with a functioning truss rod the difference is usually less than 1/4 turn.

Hello all. Any problem going from d'addario 12's to 13's? Or 13's to 12's?

You don't say on which guitar. However, I'd guess that most Gibsons are built to withstand the tension on medium strings. You might have to tweak your truss rod and might have to adjust your nuts slots for the increase in string diameter if you find the slots binding. I wouldn't attempt any raised tension tunings however. Just my $0.02.

Last fall I had a new saddle, pins, and tuning machines installed on my Gibson, and had it set up for mediums at the same time. I told the luthier I might well be switching back to lights on occasion, and did so last night after playing with 13s for the last 6 mos or so. I thought I might have to take it in for a tweak but it plays and feels nice as it is -- action seems fine, no buzzing anywhere -- so, so far so good. If you do switch to 12s, let us know whether or not you had to adjust the truss rod.

Archived