Gibson Brands Forums

Warranty Claim? Now what?

littlejohnny

9 hours ago, bobouz said:

Gibson-Europe is a different beast when it comes to warranty issues.  Hard to know how much of this is your dealer’s fault, or the European distributor who handles warranty claims.  At this point, I’d recommend you contact a customer-service rep in Nashville.  Ask for them to intervene & assist in brokering a reasonable resolution. 

Absolutely! Deal direct with Gibson USA Factory Customer Service if it's possible.. Eliminate the Middle Men...

After I inspected the guitar I called the shop immediately. Since its a big box store, I talked to a woman from the return department, she said, she was sorry, but in the end, she was not the one responsible to send out this guitar without any inspection or whatsoever. 

I think, thats the way it is, when dealing with such stores or big companies like gibson. You won't get any single human being to take responsibility.

She told  me, I could choose something else from their inventory or have a refund, since gibson can't deliver a new guitar right now.

Funny side note, after receiving the guitar I send an angry E-Mail to gibson customer service right away. A few minutes later I received an E-Mail stating, that they had arranged everything with the shop to get me a replacement. Well this e-mail was an answer to one of my e-mails from a week ago inquiring about delivery time of the new models.

By the way, there's no way for me to talk to US customer service, but  lying about my location, which doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Right now I'm tending towards a refund and spending  my money elsewhere. 

Edited by littlejohnny

19 minutes ago, littlejohnny said:

After I inspected the guitar I called the shop immediately. Since its a big box store, I talked to a woman from the return department, she said, she was sorry, but in the end, she was not the one responsible to send out this guitar without any inspection or whatsoever. 

I think, thats the way it is, when dealing with such stores or big companies like gibson. You won't get any single human being to take responsibility.

She told  me, I could choose something else from their inventory or have a refund, since gibson can't deliver a new guitar right now.

Funny side note, after receiving the guitar I send an angry E-Mail to gibson customer service right away. A few minutes later I received an E-Mail stating, that they had arranged everything with the shop to get me a replacement. Well this e-mail was an answer to one of my e-mails from a week ago inquiring about delivery time of the new models.

By the way, there's no way for me to talk to US customer service, but  lying about my location, which doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Right now I'm tending towards a refund and spending  my money elsewhere. 

So Gibson just stopped all of a sudden making guitars right now at the current moment. I'd be so pissed. Get a refund and get a Martin.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Didn't know Martin is doing electrics, I'll be looking into that. 🙄 (I was actually thinking of getting another bozeman git, instead of an elcetric)

And no, gibson did not stop making guitars, just seems like they come serially with a twisted neck nowadays,  a  feature that doesn't correspond with my personal preference, thats all.

Edited by littlejohnny

2 hours ago, littlejohnny said:

Didn't know Martin is doing electrics, I'll be looking into that. 🙄 (I was actually thinking of getting another bozeman git, instead of an elcetric)

And no, gibson did not stop making guitars, just seems like they come serially with a twisted neck nowadays,  a  feature that doesn't correspond with my personal preference, thats all.

Twisted necks are the new straight ones. For a company that's motto Is "Only A Gibson Is Good Enough" they should be ashamed. But they already deposited your check and seem like they could care less. Even though Gibson Acoustic is the same company in reality they are not. I'm wanting a Dove or Bird myself.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I think they are putting you off.  At this point I'd get the Refund & buy elsewhere. I have friends in the USA that buy at Thomanns in the UK & recommend them.. 

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

Go for the refund - Immediately !!!

You need to get out from under this dealer & the trap you’re currently looped into.  Start your search fresh, with whatever appeals to you.

Though I'm thinking about the refund option, I seem to do this for other reasons. 

Besides the fact the dealer send me an unchecked guitar, the dealer - unlike Gibson - seems to do everything to solve this issue, it seems I got the replacement on their initiative, they always react prompt to my calls and e-mails and they gave my various options. Its also not their fault they had  - at least - two defective gibsons  in stock, guess they never dreamed of heaving a second one with a twisted neck - to me thats on Gibsons poor quality/ quality control (remember we are talking 2018 models, hopefully some things have changed since).

On the other hand, Gibson customer service needs about 5 days to over a week to respond to E-mails and they did not answer all my questions or don't answer at all.

Guess I'm try to talk to them via phone on monday and see what they have to offer to solve this.

A refund from the dealer would mean I'm done with new Gibsons!

Edited by littlejohnny

1 hour ago, littlejohnny said:

Though I'm thinking about the refund option, I seem to do this for other reasons. 

Besides the fact the dealer send me an unchecked guitar, the dealer - unlike Gibson - seems to do everything to solve this issue, it seems I got the replacement on their initiative, they always react prompt to my calls and e-mails and they gave my various options. Its also not their fault they had  - at least - two defective gibsons  in stock, guess they never dreamed of heaving a second one with a twisted neck - to me thats on Gibsons poor quality/ quality control (remember we are talking 2018 models, hopefully some things have changed since).

On the other hand, Gibson customer service needs about 5 days to over a week to respond to E-mails and they did not answer all my questions or don't answer at all.

Guess I'm try to talk to them via phone on monday and see what they have to offer to solve this.

A refund from the dealer would mean I'm done with new Gibsons!

On 3/4/2020 at 3:55 PM, bobouz said:

What they did for me when I had a similar situation with a five year old SG (returned to Nashville & not repairable), was that they offered me any guitar in current production of a comparable value.  

The dealer is partially at fault for not checking but Gibson made those two guitars that are junk that you have been the recipient if so their QA is awesome. I find it hard to believe a neck just twists sitting at a store even though it hasn't been used and it more than likely left the Gibson factory that way.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Well, if it were me, I’d do the refund in a heartbeat.  Why keep yourself locked into a scenario with limited options?  

With a refund, your choice of an instrument now expands to everything & anything currently out there for sale.

You might want to consider used ES models.  For me, the Memphis sweet spot was 2009 to 2012.  I have four ES models, one from each of those years, and they are all stellar (ES-339, ES-330L, ES-335wP90s, ES-330vos).

Prior to ‘09, I was not impressed with Memphis production.  After 2012, I have no frame of reference, as my search (on the electric side) was essentially over.

Hope it all works out for you!

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:I find it hard to believe a neck just twists sitting at a store even though it hasn't been used and it more than likely left the Gibson factory that way.

Perhaps not.  Recall that the OP was happy with the playability of his original guitar for approximately six months - Then problems developed.  Environmental changes can certainly impact a product made from wood, and/or weakness in a particular piece can develop over time.  The OP’s second NOS guitar may have utilized wood from the same batch & suffered a similar fate after production.

In 2001, I bought a new Montana J-150, a  wonderful acoustic jumbo that l played for well over a year before it suddenly seemed like I couldn’t quite dial in the action to my satisfaction.  My head-scratching analysis revealed a slight twist in the neck that made the treble side of the fingerboard dip down slightly by the time it reached the nut.  This played havoc with my low-action light-touch fingerpicking style.

The LP double-cut I mentioned earlier in this thread went five years before one day I opened the case, and the two-piece body was splitting from the bottom up.

I’ve owned a bunch of Kalamazoo, Montana, Memphis, & Nashville Gibson’s, and never experienced similar problems.  Sometimes, things just unexpectedly happen.

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I find it hard to believe a neck just twists sitting at a store even though it hasn't been used and it more than likely left the Gibson factory that way.

My response in the post directly above is in reply to this statement.  For some reason, I couldn’t go back in & do a corrective edit.

I went thru a similar scenario with 3 Squier VM Jazzmasters... I finally got my money back & went somewhere & bought a Guitar with no issues that is one of my main go to Guitars...

You owe them nothing. Get your money back & go find a better Guitar... 

Yes I owe them nothing, but they owe me.  

First of all, the guitar I want (ed) seems to be not available right now.

Since prizes increased quite a bit since my original purchase, I have to add at least another grand to get somewhere near the ballpark. Really? Won't happen, as I said, if I go the refund route, I won't be looking at Gibsons any longer. 

Edited by littlejohnny

If that's what you want you need to be in it for the long haul... Deal directly with USA Gibson Factory Customer Service via Email. Remove the Store from the equation or you'll most like end up chasing your tail.... 

Gibson USA should arrange for your Guitar to be shipped to them. Not the Store.. Gibson Factory can either repair it or replace it.. If that model is out Production you will have the option to select something else.. Or possibly a refund.. 

This has all been discussed previously in this Thread..

I know it's frustrating as I've been there with the same issues with Gibson, Fender & Martin.. Martin & Gibson were the best. Thank God you don't have a Fender! 

After subscribing to Vintage Guitar magazine for several years I'm not convinced a twisted Neck can't be repaired or replaced. Good Luthiers are amazing miracle workers! Gibson, Martin & Fender have them...

It's a matter of getting a USA Gibson Customer Service Rep via email & working directly & only thru him or her...

I wish you best of luck.

8 hours ago, littlejohnny said:

Yes I owe them nothing, but they owe me.  

First of all, the guitar I want (ed) seems to be not available right now.

Since prizes increased quite a bit since my original purchase, I have to add at least another grand to get somewhere near the ballpark. Really? Won't happen, as I said, if I go the refund route, I won't be looking at Gibsons any longer. 

Yes they do. There in lies the rub. Mark my words you will curse Gibson's name many times until its sorted. It aint gonna happen overnight.

Seems the first  thing you need to do is make Contact with an actual USA Gibson Factory Customer Service Rep.. The only 2 ways I know to do this is by Phone or Email... Definitely NOT thru the Retailer who sold it to you....

It seems if Gibson can give free Guitars to Tornado victims, which is awesome,  a paying Customer should definitely be entitled to one if the one they bought can't be repaired..

18 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Seems the first  thing you need to do is make Contact with an actual USA Gibson Factory Customer Service Rep.. The only 2 ways I know to do this is by Phone or Email... Definitely NOT thru the Retailer who sold it to you....

It seems if Gibson can give free Guitars to Tornado victims, which is awesome,  a paying Customer should definitely be entitled to one if the one they bought can't be repaired..

I was thinking the same thing. Here is one thing off topic. How does one prove their guitar got damaged and what proof do you need to show. What if your guitar was lifted up and thrown  half a mile away and you do not know the whereabouts. Do you need proof or can any one just say I lost my guitar in the tornado. I'll take that LP thank you very much.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

I've been a little sick over the past to weeks, so was the guy from Gibson CS, that I've been talking to. That explains the slow communication on their side. 

Now I've been talking to some other guy and we're sticking to the old plan. I'm getting a new 2020 model guitar, but I have to wait (2-3 month, I guess under the new circumstances even longer) for it. 

I also talked to the shop again and I have to say I have a reversed opinion now.

Gibson CS europe is great to deal with and I'm pretty confident it'll all work out.

The shop on the other hand.... there is a saying in german: If you can say anything good about someone, don't say anything at all....mayby one thing: I will never ever buy there again.

That's also a saying we have in America..... It's a very good one.

It's good you finally made contact with Gibson Factory Customer Service & look forward to hearing about the new Guitar! 

Wishing you & everyone everywhere to be well. I'm Praying for the Health of the World & for this Virus to dissolve into nothing as quickly as possible.. And that everyone everywhere return to a state of perfect Health.

Edited by Larsongs
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 5:39 AM, littlejohnny said:

The shop on the other hand.... there is a saying in german: If you can say anything good about someone, don't say anything at all....mayby one thing: I will never ever buy there again.

ha!  yea  like Lars says,  we all got that one..   but it sure feels good to vent sometimes!

Good luck with the replacement, sounds like a long time to wait, but it will pass fast, and at the end, a new 2020 ES335,,   sounds like you'll make out ok afterall.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you know we're thinking of you.. What an experience & then this Corona Virus Shut Down.... What a Drag.. Hope it's over soon & you get an Amazing Replacement Guitar....

All the best

Edited by Larsongs

Hi there and thanks!

actually a new guitar is on its way, it'll be here next week. Its not the model I initially wanted, but hey its a gibson es style guitar. 

Gibson Customer Service Europe has been great so far. I'll report back, when the guitar is finally in my hands. Guess its gonna be in another thread.