Gibson Brands Forums

Rush Permenent Waves 40th

Sgt. Pepper

The Spirit Of Radio was the first Rush song I ever heard at the tender age of 13. One of my favorite Rush albums is getting the 40th Anniversary treatment, but as Alex says below no 5.1. Ive got 2112, Kings and Spheres 40th. Gonna get this one too.

The Rush Is a Band fan site believes that the reason there is no 5.1 surround sound mix on Blu-ray, as there was when 1978's Hemispheres got a similar treatment a few years ago, is because the original masters were lost when Trident Studios, where Permanent Waves was mixed, went out of business.

"I just don't think we have the masters for that record," guitarist Alex Lifeson told Metal Express Radio said. "That is typical of those days. Your recordings would stay at the studio where you last worked. You'd get home and the master tapes would go to be mastered, and then the record was released and they would keep your masters as it was safer that way. When we did Permanent Waves, Trident kept the masters, but they went bankrupt and everything disappeared, so we don't have the multi-track masters for that one."

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Permanent Waves was a VERY welcome lightening up from their previous heavy-concept-album methodology that ended in their previous album Hemispheres.   The "Permanent Waves" tour  was their last tour tour to play the entire 2112 Suite (they opened with it) until 1997's "Test For Echo" tour.   My older brother went to that show (I was too young at having just turned 13, but did catch the following year on the "Moving Pictures" tour sans the full 2112, though ).   Permanent Waves is a truly great album  with Different Strings and Natural Science amazing standout tracks.  

Rush on the "permanent Waves" tour:

11198520.jpg

On 2/24/2020 at 6:32 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

My first Rush show was Moving Pictures the last was the last tour and 5 or 6 others in between. Great band, great album, sad ending. 

Me too, but with more than "5 or 6 in between".  Rush is my favorite band (with Yes not far behind ... I think you already guessed that, though) .  Was that Moving Pictures show  you saw the one in Oakland?

Yes. June 6th I saw them. The Canadian band FM opened for them. I have Black Noise and City Of Fear on vinyl and a few others digitally. I used to live in San Hole (Jose).   I have pics of the show. That one I think was during the encore. Best Rush show  I went to. Looking forward to  PW 40th and the extra stuff. I have the 2112, Kings and Sphere's 40th albums on CD. If they do Pictures I'll get it and Signals (they bypassed the Bay Area on that tour) maybe. Grace Under Pressure (saw them on that tour too) has some good stuff on it, but after that I didn't like the direction Rush went. Power Windows was just awful, but I did see them live on that tour. After Hold Your Fire (saw them live on that tour too in San Diego, I was in the Navy at the time) I didn't listen to them for several years till maybe Snakes And Arrows. I remember them playing the whole album but not Witch Hunt. They did play all of Pictures on the Time Machine tour just after the mid set break. Saw them in DC for that one. Saw the 40th Ann. Tour in Virginia (where I live now), The Clockwork Angels Tour in Virginia, and the Last Tour 50th Ann in Greenville, SC. I think if I count correct that's 8 total times.

6p6c6wq.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

That's right ... FM  opened.  You have a good memory ... My recollection is a bit different from yours at that first Moving Pictures  show.  I was crushed when they ended 2112  (which they opened with) after Temples.  Uhhh, guys, that's not all of it ... there is a lot more.  I recollect them playing lots of other stuff short, too, including Cygnus, Xanadu, etc., etc.  At one point, Alex plays the riff to Working Man  and stops.  In that respect, I left very frustrated with their set from the show ... I was probably just too big of a fan expecting too much.   I did not see them again until the Presto  tour -- front row right in front of Geddy (I was also in the Navy like you, and  was able to get Ticketron tickets on a military base with nobody in  line).  HOWEVER, at that show, all I could hear was Geddy's bass... no guitar, no drums, no keyboards, no vocals ... as in NONE.  It was difficult to even know what songs they were playing.  Front row, and just a HORRIBLE concert experience.   At that point, I just relegated Rush to being an awesome studio band and not to be seen live.  I was still buying and loving their albums, but passing on live shows.  Then in 1997, I eventually caved in and saw them on the Test For Echo tour.   Completely unknown to me, this was their first tour in the 3-hour "An Evening With Rush Format" with an intermission, no opening act, a theme to their video, no shortened songs, etc.  And guess what??  The sound was amazing, and they played 2112  in its entirety (first time since the Permanent Waves tour that opened this thread).   They were awesome.  They played the Shoreline Amphitheater (I know you know were that is) twice, months apart on on two different legs.  I went to both of the shows and became hooked on their live shows.   After that, I saw them on every subsequent tour, sometimes multiple times on the same tour in different cities.  Every time I saw them, they were awesome with the only issue being that Geddy was maybe not having  his best night vocally on a few of those shows.  

As far as their albums, I love all of their studio albums ... except Counter Parts, and I find Roll The Bones  to be a little iffy, and I don't like the covers album.   The only live Rush I listen to  is All The World's A Stage.   I love the "keyboard era" albums ... from Signals all the way through to Presto.   In particular, I love Hold Your Fire  and Grace Under Pressure  from that era.

I saw The Moody Blues, The Grateful Dead (not that sad schtick they have been tooling around the past few years, with Jerry), believe it or not Madonna, Billy Idol, The Doobie Bros, and many others I can't remember right now at Shoreline.

The keyboard era makes me vomit. Um Geddy your a bass player.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The keyboard era makes me vomit. Um Geddy your a bass player.

LOL -- I know ...  Most Rush fans especially dislike Hold Your Fire ,Grace Under Pressure, and Signals.   I love those albums to death, with Presto  and Power Windows  close behind.  Most Rush fans also love Counterparts.   Not me,  I think it is their worst album.   

I have all their stuff either on album, cd or digital. I have listened to Presto, Counterparts, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels maybe 3 times total. Snakes And Arrows was not to bad. Signals and then Grace was when I know they were gonna start putting out garbage. And then Power Widows came. Big Money goes around the world. Really Neil that was the best you got. And then Hold Your Fire. I loath and they play it every time - Time Stand Still. That song is cheese d!ck it makes me sick.

I used to go concerts at every venue in The Bay Area. Saw so many good shows there. Zappa, The Stones, The Who, The Dead, Rush, the list goes on and on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yes to Stones, Who, Rush ... I never got around to seeing the Dead --they played all of the time in the Bay Area, and I figured I would get around to it  but never did before Jerry's unexpected departure.   Never saw Zappa either ... super talented, but never cared to ... not a fan.  I saw Paul McCartney on the Flowers In The Dirt  tour from second row center (another military ticket special to get those amazing seats)  ... that was pretty special especially being so close.   That was his first tour where he played a ton of Beatles stuff including Sgt Pepper.  Awesome stuff.  

I saw Paul a few years back where the UVA Cavaliers play basketball in Charlottesville, VA. I saw The Dead 13 times and Jerry solo once at the Warfield. Mostly in the Bay Area. Once in Irvine, once in Monterey, once in Sacto, and once in Chicago when I was a squid. The rest were Oakland or SF.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper