Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ETU electric Tenor Ukulele - such a rare bird??

Hello to everybody,

I am Chris from Germany and I don´t have any guitars. But I was in the lucky position to buy a Gibson ETU-1 electric tenor Ukulele. I ask in an Ukulele Forum, but nobody can tell something about this Gibson, so I try to get Informations from this special Gibson forum.
So it is hard to get informations about vintage ukes here in germany. I am looking for this model at different internet pages, and alway get the same information:
- bulid between 1949-1953 - so it is the beginning of electric instruments
- only 88 were made!

I can´t believe, that only 88 were made. I ask directly at Gibson, but they can´t answer. Is this a true fact, or is this a "copy and paste" information, which goes around?
So, when only 88 were made, how is it possible to get one? I found two or three Advertisements (around 2500$).
And what about the ETU-3? And I read something about a vintage concert size gibson electric Ukulele.
So what do you think about this special electric uke? Are the informations true? Is there a serious source for the number of 88? And a important question is, which strings where originally on this Uke and which I can use (because there are normal Nylgut Aquilla on, but the Pick Up (I think a P90??) needs metal?  steel strings? - I feel unconfortable with it because of the tension. Are there something like nylon/metal hybrid strings?

Thanks to everybody who can help.
Best regards to everybody

lcromtr9345en1ikjfe6.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg