Gibson Brands Forums

Cool famous encounter

James Allen

Okay, my brother is a very good musician, and has been in many bands over the years. His current band is doing well, and they play steady gigs.

Anyway, some years ago he is asked to be an usher at the wedding of a friend of his. He seats a couple and walks back to get the next couple in line. As he approaches he notices that the man looks familiar to him. He steps up and takes the woman's hand and smiles at the man. Then he realizes that he is seating Chet Atkins and his wife, who are the uncle and aunt of the bride.

My brother tries to keep his cool and actually sits them in the correct location. He spends the rest of the ceremony in a daze. Later, at the reception, my brother and his wife are eating cake, when up walks Mr. Atkins and begins to make conversation with my brother about music. He says something along the lines of "My neice tells me you are a good bass player."

At this point my sister in law actually has to lean over and tell my brother to swallow the cake that is in his mouth.

My brother carries on a short conversation with Mr. Atkins, who presented the groom with an autographed guitar (unsure at the telling of this story what the model was, only that it was a Gibson). A few days later, my brother receives in the mail some Gibson paraphernalia (a few stickers, a hat, a calendar) with a short note from Mr. Atkins.

My brother never told me this story, nor did he show me the cool stuff until this evening. That's my brother for ya.

Anyway, I thought this was a good story and wanted to share it with you folks on the forum. I hope you liked it!

Awesome story James. I love experiences like that, especially when it's a person that is looked up to and you would hope that they would be that cool of a person if you ever got to meet them instead of a jerk. In the last two years I've meet some really awesome musicians like that and it is really special when they are that gracious and nurturing to a music fan / musician (or even wanna be musician like me) ;)

Thats a pretty cool story... my coolest encounter with someone was I took my niece and her friend to see 3 days grace, seether, and breakin benjamin we had general addmission floor seats . So her being a big fan of seether and 3 days grace we made our way to the front. seether played a great set and went off stage, 3 days grace came on and during one of their songs the lead singer for seether comes out in front of the stage, right in front of me and my niece, dances a little drinks on his drink, my niece and her friend are freakin out, he does this for about 5 mins when all of the sudden he turns around looks dead at my niece and says who wants an autograph, so I reach her our tickets and he signs all of them and gives my neice and her friend a hug and walks off. My neice said that was the best birthday present she has ever got. Also as breakin ben went off stage the lead singer throws his guitar pic right to me and nods as he goes off stage ..... all in all a great show and a great bunch of guys....

wow I thought Chet died years ago....

Ummm, the story began, "Some years ago . . ."

Yes, this happened PRIOR to Mr. Atkins' death.

Oh, the unbelievers on this forum. Of course I can understand after reading some of the other folks posts on things like this. Some of the stories get a little too out there.

True story though, guys.

Archived