Gibson Brands Forums

Got a new guitar

Yeiij

Hi folks.

I would like to get a few suggestions.

1. I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Modern Graphite Top, the frets are kinda dry, or i think so. Should i remove strings and hydrate with some lemon oil? it's ebony.

2. Can i use the same strings or should i get new strings?

3. The included manteinance tool smells very bad to metal, is that normal?

4. The stickers for pickup selector is not included, should i claim it?

Thanks in advance. Greetings!

Edited by Yeiij

1) I had the same problem, should be able to oil them up, I removed the strings and slapped new ones on there because for the price a pack it's worth it

2) depends on how tight they cut them, mine were too tight to reuse with the lock

3) yep

4) I assume you're talking about the sticker on the back bottom panel, I don't believe the modern has it (some models do). At least I don't see it on the photos on sweetwater/GC close up shots. Unless I'm misinterpreting which sticker you're talking about.

5) Congrats!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hassmaschine said:

1) I had the same problem, should be able to oil them up, I removed the strings and slapped new ones on there because for the price a pack it's worth it

2) depends on how tight they cut them, mine were too tight to reuse with the lock

3) yep

4) I assume you're talking about the sticker on the back bottom panel, I don't believe the modern has it (some models do). At least I don't see it on the photos on sweetwater/GC close up shots. Unless I'm misinterpreting which sticker you're talking about.

5) Congrats!

Thanks a lot mate, it looks like the "Switch Watcher" is not included 🤨

Edited by Yeiij

The frets are not made of wood, so they can not dry out. You obviously meant the fretboard. I use this stuff -----> https://www.amazon.com/Gerlitz-GGH-Guitar-Honey-Fingerboard/dp/B000EEJF4O/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=gerlitz&qid=1582319323&sr=8-3

Put new strings on. You should always do this when you get a new guitar.

I remove all stickers from my guitar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMHO, the best things I have used is lemon oil to clean, then use the Gibson Restoration Kit for all your guitar needs.  Comes with fretboard conditioner, nitro polish, metal cleaner, and some soft cloths.  You don't want to marinate the wood...  Simply spray on some lemon oil based cleaner, wipe off, then apply conditioner, then wipe that off very shortly after application. 

FYI, the nitro polish is awesome.  Follow directions on the bottle and you should be good. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop/Fretboard-65-Ultimate-Lemon-Oil.gc?rNtt=lemon oil&index=1

https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Cleaning-and-Care/AIGG-RK1

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yeiij said:

Hi folks.

I would like to get a few suggestions.

1. I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Modern Graphite Top, the frets are kinda dry, or i think so. Should i remove strings and hydrate with some lemon oil? it's ebony.

2. Can i use the same strings or should i get new strings?

3. The included manteinance tool smells very bad to metal, is that normal?

4. The stickers for pickup selector is not included, should i claim it?

Thanks in advance. Greetings!

I also have the new Modern Graphite Les Paul, I haven't oiled the ebony fret board or even changed the strings yet but each to their own thing.

I've also never sniffed the maintenance tool but now I'm curious.

As to the poker chip (the sticker) it was rumored to come with them (not installed) but mine didn't nor did the ones I saw in video reviews.

It's a beautiful guitar and I'm still enjoying playing it.  Congrats brother.

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind that lemon oil for guitars is not oil from lemons. 

I use Dunlop Ultimate Lemon Oil once a year (Sweden, so the RH changes drastically from one season to the next. I now use a humidifier). 

We're entering into Snake-Oil-or-not territory here, but... I've owned guitars with rosewood fretboards that couldn't even spell "hardcase", RH from 20 (winter) to 90-100 (summer)... Ten years and NP. Would I chance it today? No. 

Ebony is way more susceptible to cracking than rosewood. Still, from my experience - once a year is enough. I'd let it sit for about 30 minutes. 

Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:19 PM, nhwildbill said:

I also have the new Modern Graphite Les Paul, I haven't oiled the ebony fret board or even changed the strings yet but each to their own thing.

I've also never sniffed the maintenance tool but now I'm curious.

As to the poker chip (the sticker) it was rumored to come with them (not installed) but mine didn't nor did the ones I saw in video reviews.

It's a beautiful guitar and I'm still enjoying playing it.  Congrats brother.

Ebony is a very hard wood and really isn't  porous as rosewood is.  I would think that you are probably ok not treating it at all.   You can get the poker chips (toggle switch plates at a place like Stew Mac.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Nuts_and_Washers/Toggle_Switch_Plate.html

the maintenance tool is just a few alan wrenches, some screw drivers and a truss rod tool, kind of like a swiss army knife setup  Handy f you don't have the other things lying around b you may be already do

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

Ebony is a very hard wood and really isn't  porous as rosewood is.  I would think that you are probably ok not treating it at all.   You can get the poker chips (toggle switch plates at a place like Stew Mac.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Nuts_and_Washers/Toggle_Switch_Plate.html

the maintenance tool is just a few alan wrenches, some screw drivers and a truss rod tool, kind of like a swiss army knife setup  Handy f you don't have the other things lying around b you may be already do

Thanx, I wasn't too worried about the poker chip - I actually like it better without it on this model.

I did give the maintenance tool a sniff over the weekend, I've smelled worse things. 😁

The ebony fretboard wasn't a concern on this one but I probably should condition the one on my 97 Studio.  I hadn't really thought about doing it until reading about them on this forum. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nhwildbill said:

The ebony fretboard wasn't a concern on this one but I probably should condition the one on my 97 Studio.  I hadn't really thought about doing it until reading about them on this forum. 

I don't think you have any need for urgency wild bill,   I've owned many guitars starting in the late 60s,   We never even knew about hydrating / treating the fretboard back then.. 🙂

There's a few products out there, everyone has their favorite.  they do a nice job though of returning luster to the rosewood tho.    You will see a difference, but if you don't touch it,  your fretboard is  not going to crumble to pieces.   About once or twice a year is the extent of it.

Edited by kidblast

42 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I don't think you have any need for urgency wild bill,   I've owned many guitars starting in the late 60s,   We never even knew about hydrating / treating the fretboard back then.. 🙂

There's a few products out there, everyone has their favorite.  they do a nice job though of returning luster to the rosewood tho.    You will see a difference, but if you don't touch it,  your fretboard is  not going to crumble to pieces.   About once or twice a year is the extent of it.

Thanx for the info brother, I don't even polish my furniture at home. 😄

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is tool smelling really a thing?  I never go to work and go ya know what I should smell my channel locks.

The guy said his smelled bad, so I had to check the four I have to make sure my Lesters wouldn't be uncomfortable in their cases with the smell.

Maybe Gibson should make them scented.

12 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I use Lemon Oil on my Necks to clean & condition every time I put new Strings on... SOP for me..

If you're going to the trouble of removing old Strings replace them with new.. You'll be glad you did..

To each their own. I say once a year is enough for conditioning, even with harder woods like ebony. 

I've never conditioned a fretboard in any way, since 1971.  I've never had to get rid of a guitar because the fretboard broke because of lack of conditioning.  Never been unable to sell a guitar or trade one because the fretboard was broke due to lack of conditioning.

rct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

I've never conditioned a fretboard in any way, since 1971.  I've never had to get rid of a guitar because the fretboard broke because of lack of conditioning.  Never been unable to sell a guitar or trade one because the fretboard was broke due to lack of conditioning.

rct

I have a friend who will sit & eat a greasy double Cheese Burger & Jumbo order of Fries. Then pick up his Guitar & start playing.. His Guitars are disgusting & probably disease carriers. I won't touch his Guitars & I don't let him touch my Guitars.. 

Why would anyone be proud to have dirty, grimy Guitars? My friends Cars look the same as his Guitars. So does his House...

By conditioning I mean cleaning & maintaining. I prefer my Guitars & everything I own to always be in like new or better than new condition. Must come from my Military Training...

With as many Guitars as I have I generally change Strings on most of them once a year.. My most played Guitars more often..

Edited by Larsongs

I've found its pretty guitar specific and how you store them. My jackson i clean every string change and oil maybe once every couple years (25 or so years no issues), but it's in the case and temperature controlled etc. My dean requires a lot more often (once every few months) but it's my beater guitar and stays out in the living room all year round. 

The gibson i found came really dry, it thirsted for some oil but it seems to be holding it really well, Higher quality wood usually does retain better (Jackson above). You should know by the feel and look how dry it is, and it may just be preference but i like a well kept clean/ oiled neck. 

I didn't say I don't clean them.  I gig 8 guitars regularly.  No more than two gigs on a set of strings.  Every string change is a cleaning and checking of the math that equals a good setup.  I rarely intonate because well intonated guitars using the same gauge over and over don't need much movement, neither does the truss.  My guitars are maintained to the standard of a guy that goes out and gets paid to use them.  With all of that said, I've never used any oils or emolients or super secret sexy wax or anything of the sort ever on a fingerboard ever, and I've never suffered for it or seen a guitar that was clearly suffering from an unconditioned fretboard.

Cleaning them and maintaining them is enough.  This idea that rubbing exotic oils all over them is somehow making them better, or last longer, or more valuable, is to me, just laughable and isn't a direction new people should be heading.

rct

• Like 2