Gibson Brands Forums

Got a new guitar

Yeiij

23 minutes ago, rct said:

Cleaning them and maintaining them is enough.  This idea that rubbing exotic oils all over them is somehow making them better, or last longer, or more valuable, is to me, just laughable and isn't a direction new people should be heading.

rct

I think that's pretty much it.    There is a difference in the appearance of a rosewood fret-board after it's been hydrated tho.   Kind of has a luster, and glow that it didn't before.  IF you're into that stuff, then good news, there's some good stuff out there to scratch that itch, if you aint into that stuff, then you aint.   Does it "matter" for the health and life of the fret-board, probably not. 

Hell there's 500 year old violins that have probably never seen any more than a cotton cloth to wipe sweat off.  They don't seem to be loosing value.

I use the conditioner, cuz that's the kind of guy I am,  I use dental floss and those little in between tooth cleaner things too!    I get little gold stars on my forehead when I see my hygienist,.   and have ya seen my hygienist???  prolly not...  she be a cutie..  but I digress.

Doesn't matter how much you wash your hands they naturally have oil. Oil accumulates on Guitars wherever your hands or arms rest on them. If you don't want to clean them more power to you. 

Oil build up on fret boards attracts dirt.. Oil & dirt ruin Strings. If you keep your fret board clean Strings last longer. A little lemon oil on your Guitar neck works excellently to keep them clean. 

Oil from your fore arm will build up on the Body of your Guitars. That can ruin the Finish on Guitars over time. If you don't want to clean that more power to you..  I choose to take better care of my Guitars..

Whether you have 8 or 40. Whether you're a Pro making big Money or a weekend warrior doin the Bar Gigs for peanuts your Guitars are Tools.. I was taught, if you take care of your Tools, your Tools will take care of you....

To each his own....

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Doesn't matter how much you wash your hands they naturally have oil. Oil accumulates on Guitars wherever your hands or arms rest on them. If you don't want to clean them more power to you. 

Oil build up on fret boards attracts dirt.. Oil & dirt ruin Strings. If you keep your fret board clean Strings last longer. A little lemon oil on your Guitar neck works excellently to keep them clean. 

Oil from your fore arm will build up on the Body of your Guitars. That can ruin the Finish on Guitars over time. If you don't want to clean that more power to you..  I choose to take better care of my Guitars..

Whether you have 8 or 40. Whether you're a Pro making big Money or a weekend warrior doin the Bar Gigs for peanuts your Guitars are Tools.. I was taught, if you take care of your Tools, your Tools will take care of you....

To each his own....

So again, I'll gently say again, who is talking about NOT CLEANING THEIR GUITARS?  Only you are.  You are conflating fretboard conditioning with cleaning guitars.  It isn't the same thing at all.  Fretboard conditioning is put out there as something you have to do, should do, need to do in order to...followed by some stuff.  Guitars  have lived and gigged decades with normal cleaning and no fretboard conditioning with no detrimental results.  Simple.  New guitar players come to places like this for advice, free words of experience and wisdom.  They should not, in my opinion and experience, leave here with the impression that they need to spend time and effort rubbing stuff on the fingerboard beyond whatever decent guitar cleaner/polish you can get just about anywhere that most of us use when we change strings.  There is no magic to any of the oils to put on your fingerboards beyond what they look like when "wet", just like concrete looks better, cars look better, all kinds of things look better "wet".  If that was the case there would be obvious fails all over the place as rosewood and ebony fingerboards deteriorated due to lack of conditioning, and unless I'm missing something really obvious, that hasn't been my experience at all.

rct

28 minutes ago, rct said:

So again, I'll gently say again, who is talking about NOT CLEANING THEIR GUITARS?  Only you are.  You are conflating fretboard conditioning with cleaning guitars.  It isn't the same thing at all.  Fretboard conditioning is put out there as something you have to do, should do, need to do in order to...followed by some stuff.  Guitars  have lived and gigged decades with normal cleaning and no fretboard conditioning with no detrimental results.  Simple.  New guitar players come to places like this for advice, free words of experience and wisdom.  They should not, in my opinion and experience, leave here with the impression that they need to spend time and effort rubbing stuff on the fingerboard beyond whatever decent guitar cleaner/polish you can get just about anywhere that most of us use when we change strings.  There is no magic to any of the oils to put on your fingerboards beyond what they look like when "wet", just like concrete looks better, cars look better, all kinds of things look better "wet".  If that was the case there would be obvious fails all over the place as rosewood and ebony fingerboards deteriorated due to lack of conditioning, and unless I'm missing something really obvious, that hasn't been my experience at all.

rct

Gently, my choice of words could've been better. Even though most probably understood what I meant.  If you read my next Post I clarified my use of the word "condition". Meaning, to clean. 

You say "Conditioning" isn't this or that... Are you an expert? Do you have any Scientific proof of your claim? Can you prove that a Conditioning Product isn't the best thing you can do to care for & preserve Guitar Necks? I didn't think so...

I don't think Newbies should misinformed either... I doubt seriously my use of the word Condition would ruin any Newbies Guitar or their  life.....

My apologies to all for misusing a word...

Edited by Larsongs

Keeping your guitars in their optimumal* performance condition is indeed not a bad thing.  We each do it our own way, cleaning them is really important.  Like cars, using them wears them out, it's the way it is.  Might as well keep them in as good condition as possible, no matter how.  

rct

*I had a supervisor for a couple years that actually used that word and thought it made him sound smart.  Used it all the time, made me giggle every time.

22 minutes ago, rct said:

Keeping your guitars in their optimumal* performance condition is indeed not a bad thing.  We each do it our own way, cleaning them is really important.  Like cars, using them wears them out, it's the way it is.  Might as well keep them in as good condition as possible, no matter how.  

rct

*I had a supervisor for a couple years that actually used that word and thought it made him sound smart.  Used it all the time, made me giggle every time.

being wicked shhmart is optimumal for a happy and carefree life  irregardless of what else is going on. (see what I did there...)

22 hours ago, rct said:

...I've never used any oils or emolients or super secret sexy wax or anything of the sort ever on a fingerboard ever, and I've never suffered for it or seen a guitar that was clearly suffering from an unconditioned fretboard.

...This idea that rubbing exotic oils all over them is somehow making them better, or last longer, or more valuable, is to me, just laughable and isn't a direction new people should be heading.

1 hour ago, rct said:

...There is no magic to any of the oils to put on your fingerboards beyond what they look like when "wet", just like concrete looks better, cars look better, all kinds of things look better "wet"... 

If nothing else I love the images I've been getting from this thread...😈

Well folks.

After all, i feel there is not much change in before and after hydrating the fretboard, i does seems like the ebony it always look a bit dry.  I don't have a better picture with the before, but they look similar, now is just a bit darker, and cleaner.

Here is the original size pictures, can't upload them full because the forum restriction.

Pictures

12 hours ago, Yeiij said:

Well folks.

After all, i feel there is not much change in before and after hydrating the fretboard, i does seems like the ebony it always look a bit dry.  I don't have a better picture with the before, but they look similar, now is just a bit darker, and cleaner.

Here is the original size pictures, can't upload them full because the forum restriction.

Pictures

Wait 20 years.......   I think you'll be glad you took the extra effort....

On 2/27/2020 at 9:58 AM, rct said:

rct

I play mine. Polish yes,, and  I use bore oil on the fretboards, but they get played cause there instruments that are made to make sounds. The sounds that come out of mine are not like Page's or Howe's or Thompson's , but sound comes out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 1:53 PM, kidblast said:

Ebony is a very hard wood and really isn't  porous as rosewood is.  I would think that you are probably ok not treating it at all.

I've heard from multiple sources that ebony is more prone to cracking than rosewood.  It's drier, harder and, like you said, less porous.