Gibson Brands Forums

Best live album

Bluemoon

I know I missing some great ones....only can run 9 choices.

Ok my choice is Live in Central Park--Simon & Garfunkel. I absolutely love that album. I never get bored listening to it.

My second choice is Waiting for Columbus.

[Oops...I meant Live at Leeds]

I voted for Live At The Apollo. I love James Brown and I love soul music. It's a pump fest of soul.

I would've voted for Live At Leeds but Live At The Apollo really gets me going.

You should've put Live and Dangerous by Thin Lizzy. THAT is my favorite live album. It's very long and chock full of awesome performances of some of their best songs. They sound tight, like a weapon. The rhythm section alone is amazing, and when you put the twin lead guitars and Phil Lynott singing over that, well you have yourself a masterpiece.

Wow - that's tough. There are quite a few good albums on the list, but three that really mean a lot to me ...

KISS - ALIVE (I assume that's the one you mean) - one of the first albums I bought (8th grade) , and as such, perhaps the reason I play guitar

The Who - Live at Leeds - Just bad ***, muscular guitar power rock by a band at the height of its abilities. The reissue is even better since it's twice as long as the vinyl was.

The Allman Brothers Fillmore album is one of my all time favorites. I've owned a couple of vinyl copies. Now I listen to the remastered The Fillmore Concerts and it sounds better than ever.

If you are going to make me pick, I guess I'd have to go with the Allman Brothers, but it would be really hard to do without the other two.

I'll throw in another vote for Live and Dangerous. I'd also like to give half a vote to the live side of ZZ Top's Fandango album. Damn! And a few more favorites would be: Rush's All the World's a Stage, Humble Pie's Rockin' the Fillmore, Lynyrd Skynyrd's One More From the Road, and The Outlaws live album Bring 'Em Back Alive.

How The West Was Won-Led Zeppelin

Made In Japan-Deep Purple

'74 Irish Tour-Rory Gallagher

Rockin The Fillmore-Humble Pie

Comes Alive-Peter Frampton

Live at the Regal-BB King

Live at the Electric Ballroom-Freddie King

I'd have to go with Fillmore.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone here listened to Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds "Live at Radio City Music Hall"? Some of my friends at work hate Dave Matthews, but still agree that it's one of the best live recordings out there.

Also, Fu Manchu's "Go For It" should be on a list somewhere.

I voted for Cheap "Track"' date=' even though I'm kinda' thinking of calling you some vulgar degrading name for not including "Frampton Comes Alive" or "If You Want Blood".

H-Bomb[/quote']

I'm with H-Bomb on this...not to include "Frampton Comes Alive" is a travesty.

In light of that I'm not voting...though I do like the Filmore album and also the Little Feat Live...gotta love Lowell George.

I'm with H-Bomb on this...not to include "Frampton Comes Alive" is a travesty.

In light of that I'm not voting...though I do like the Filmore album and also the Little Feat Live...gotta love Lowell George.

Start you own poll then. It is hard to get them all in--just 9 choices. I have to admit I forgot about the Frampton album. ;)

The first Live At The Apollo by James Brown is not only one of the greatest live albums ever recorded, it is one of the tightest shows ever recorded and one of the best R&B albums ever recorded, live or otherwise. The way James works the crowd is a lesson in itself.

And the sound quality for a 1962 recording is truly outstanding (it rivals anything done live today with multi-track machines).

Every rock or blues musician should own this CD.

Notes

None of the above. Super Sessions Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper. It doesn't get any better than that.

2nd place Pink Floyd's Live abum PULSE I was there![-o<

I was at the PULSE show in London (Earl's Court) 2 days after the film (or was it 2 days before?). I don't know the recording date of the CD, but I thought it was different from the DVD show.

Archived