Gibson Brands Forums

NEW OLD GUITAR

Moose2230

I checked your serial# with the Gibson Electric Serialization chapter in the 11th Edition Blue Book of Electric Guitars and it is in the same range as mine, so it could be '66 or '69. The Blue Book is the gold std for Gibson serial#'s and is totally accurate unlike the Guitar Dater Project which is usually totally wrong. You may want to ask the shop if they can use an inspection mirror to read the #'s on one of the pots in order to get a date code. On mine there was a blob of solder blocking out the # on the pot closest to the f-hole so I had to remove a pot to get a good look at the number. This can be easily done if you tie a string around the shaft of the pot before removing the nut. Then you can pull it over to the f-hole for a good look and then you can pull the string to get the shaft back into its proper position. Without the string it can be a nightmare getting the pot back into its hole.