Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird advice

MichaelT

20 hours ago, Holiday Hoser said:

That's the one. Not my best performance though. But the sound of vintage wood, oh  the sound!

So great you found your mate.

But look this way. For some  strange reason you aren't the only 1964-L5-neck-flier. A cherry mirror out there somewhere. .

Holy crap I have only seen one other with the L5 neck and that was in Norm's book. Prolly just what mine looked like before some one in the 60's painted it periwinkle blue (which I found trying to expose the original label) I can just see it with peace signs and hand lettered "This machine kills fascists" Yes I made that label. Look at the flamey hog on the back though, nobody painted over that thank God.

VXClAjF.jpg

qqzJ7aJ.jpg

10 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

I'm not sure why, but this one appeals to me. Looks and sounds nice.  Not a traditional hog, though.

Hummingbird Regal

Sounds more like a J-45. But maybe that's just the Richlite fingerboard talking. 😁.

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

But look this way. For some  strange reason you aren't the only 1964-L5-neck-flier. A cherry mirror out there somewhere. .

Good find. A rough clip from Lark Street, but most likely makes HH feel his is not so all alone.

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Sounds more like a J-45. But maybe that's just the Richlite fingerboard talking. 😁.

I tried to determine what it sounded like, comparing it to others. The presence of their sample recordings is all over the place, which makes comparisons difficult. I was thinking later on, and on a theoretical level only, if I would give up my traditional sounding Hummingbird for it. Not having that 150-190Hz ooomph might be too radical a concept, despite it's own low end tones having their own qualities.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, TomGuitar said:

Pretty sure they're already sold, but the dudes at the Local Pickup made a video about two '76 Hummingbirds. It's definitely worth a watch if you're interested in learning a little about this sweet model.

Hmmm, , , okay - you get the Norlin-sound right there from the first chords. The guys seem to like it and okay again. A groovy little Bird passiar - yet pretty inaccurate.                                                                                And ! , , , , were the N-birds short scale ?

Frankly - if I was a hard core nerd on some tough'n'hyper-sharp guitar forum I would call it rather odd to see 2 fellows have a semi-fest over what's not the real deal.