Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Tuesday

uncle fester

Hey all - got up a little early, got some guitar time in and all i can say is guitar is fun...   fun, fun, FUN!  Great way to kick off the day and hope you all get time to enjoy the instrument of your choice today :).  (Note - I said 'instrument' to leave the door open for big bill to chime in if he so chooses).

Anyone looking forward to some good music time today?  FWI - I play most mornings, today just seemed like a good one

Edited by billroy fineman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

(Note - I said 'instrument' to leave the door open for big bill to chime in if he so chooses).

Well, I tickled the ivory first thing this morning... For you guys with your mind in the gutter, I was playing my organ!

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1

Whacked at the M-36 for a while early this am.  I don't get enough acoustic time so I've kinda made it a point.

I'm about to deconstruct my goldtop Tele and fix the ground on the switch that I effed up when I put in the pickups that are the Super Secret to my uber scwheet TONE.  Then I will rehearse it tonight to ensure my crushing riffage and bruising chordal thunder remain intact.

When I worked I was up at 5.30am and walking around with a guitar for half an hour almost every day.  It's a great time to noodle.  Decades and decades later I found out another guy that does the same thing is Jeff Beck.  Except, when he's done, he heads into London town and goes to Eric Clapton's office and they have a cuppa and slag Page for a while.  I saw a picture of them sitting there on sofas, buncha Fedner things laying around, each with a tele.  MAN what I wouldn't pay to be a friggin fly on that wall!

rct

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kidblast said:

I used to play a lot in the mornings,  it is a great time for that.  my carpal syndrome is the most obvious in the mornings, so lately it's better if I wait a bit until tings loosen up.

Sorry to hear it, ailments bite.   Hope it at least loosens up enough where later in the day you can be the shred king you are 🙂

19 minutes ago, B.T. said:

Sounds like a great way to start the day! Busy day for me - just hoping I have enough energy and time when it’s over to  play for a while. Always helps me unwind. 
Happy Tuesday! 

Starting a new work gig has cramped my playing style a bit.  I do try to get 30 mins or so in the morning, but end of the day when I come home I look to hang with the family.  Was working from home before this, and being able to pick the guitar up 5 times a day for 10 / 15 mins here or there was priceless.

1 minute ago, billroy fineman said:

Sorry to hear it, ailments bite.   Hope it at least loosens up enough where later in the day you can be the shred king you are 🙂

Thanks Bill, it's the accumulative result of 40 years of IT work.  Back in the day, "ergonomics" wasn't a thing.

Some days I don't even know it's a problem, other days, I can't really use my keyboard and mouse early in the morning to work.  I have to lay off for a hour or two.

The better days still way out number the bad ones.   Flareups occur, chopping ice, doing a lot of yard work, heavy lifting, any impact to the wrists and I know I'll pay for it later.   I'm a candidate for surgery for both hands, been tested twice now in the last 10 years, it's been about the same throughout a little worse last test.  (the tests are crazy too). 

It's my decision on when.  the surgery is nothing like it used to be.   Less invasive with a relatively fast recovery.  Brother in-law had it a few years ago, he was bad, now,, he's not..

• Like 1

Had both hands operated on at the same time for carpal tunnel about 10 years ago. Best decision I ever made. I was really struggling to play more than one or two songs before my hands were almost completely numb. I was so glad to be pain free that I started practicing again before the bandages were off! Pretty clumsy but wonderful! Been good ever since although the Dr. told me it could recur.  Don’t think it will. Good luck to you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rct said:

I'm about to deconstruct my goldtop Tele and fix the ground on the switch that I effed up when I put in the pickups that are the Super Secret to my uber scwheet TONE...

Done.  I'm exhausted.  Work sucks.  I need a break bad.

rct

1 hour ago, B.T. said:

Had both hands operated on at the same time for carpal tunnel about 10 years ago. Best decision I ever made. I was really struggling to play more than one or two songs before my hands were almost completely numb. I was so glad to be pain free that I started practicing again before the bandages were off! Pretty clumsy but wonderful! Been good ever since although the Dr. told me it could recur.  Don’t think it will. Good luck to you!

thanks B.T.!  it definitely worked well for my wives brother too.  Like you, his hands were in bad shape.

9 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

Hey all - got up a little early, got some guitar time in and all i can say is guitar is fun...   fun, fun, FUN!  Great way to kick off the day and hope you all get time to enjoy the instrument of your choice today :).  (Note - I said 'instrument' to leave the door open for big bill to chime in if he so chooses).

Anyone looking forward to some good music time today?  FWI - I play most mornings, today just seemed like a good one

I used to get up very early. 4:00am every morning to get ready for work and the long drive there. After 24 years and 4 months at Havelock Shops, and retiring from the Railroad, I now enjoy sleeping in to whenever I happen to wake up! LOl I can play the guitar whenever I want to throughout the day. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Retired said:

I used to get up very early. 4:00am every morning to get ready for work and the long drive there. After 24 years and 4 months at Havelock Shops, and retiring from the Railroad, I now enjoy sleeping in to whenever I happen to wake up! LOl I can play the guitar whenever I want to throughout the day. 

Right now I'm getting up at 4, and have till 5:50 to do morning stuff until I have to get in the shower.  Gotta say I love the quiet time to just poke along, once the weather is warmer I'll sit out back by our chicken coop and play guitar for 45 minutes etc... in the morning.  Chickens rock, they really like the beatles.

I get up at 5:45, shake the dew, brush my fangs, throw on clothes and get out of the house. Have to be in my seat at 6:45 for our daily morning meeting. Guitar's come when I get home form the grind. Hopefully only a year or two left and when we can sell the house we're outta VA and off the SC. I wont even look back to flip VA off. Haven't touched the 000 in two days. I'll give it a go tonight. The strings just got changed on the 12er on Sunday, and are not going out of tune anymore. So far the strings on the D-41 I dipped in liquid nitrogen still sound good.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The 12 string seems to hold its tune pretty good. Not really crazy about changing strings on a 12.  But it's the least played. It's nice for a few songs though. I just do parts of songs on mine like Stairway To Heaven and such.  Yeah, I used to have to get up at 4:00 to shower, Let the Doberman out to potty, feed him and eat breakfast and get ready for work to be at the car pool at 5:00am. We got to work usually an hour before work time of 7:00am. I unlocked the buildings for people coming in and it gave me time to do some artwork each morning for the guys who requested paintings or drawings from me. When I hired on I did wildlife paintings only. Guys at work got me into doing airplanes, trains, portraits, scenery, cars, and cartoons especially as I did a ton of those for the guys. Pretty much painted about everything. I had a scholarship in art when I graduated but turned it down for Drag Racing. Thought I'd make it big  there but it didn't happen. Wish my mom would have kicked me in the butt and made me go but? The retirement couldn't be better from the Railroad so I have no complaints.