Gibson Brands Forums

New Schaller S Strap Locks

kidblast

So, any of yous guys try a set of the new Schaller "S" locks yet?

Schaller S Lock Link

I ordered a couple-a sets and put em on my main LP and my Gretsch the other day.   Of course, they will do the job they always did, (Secure the strap to your guitar,, and yes it's one of dozens of options you can use,  so no need to go down the Grolsch beer bottle washers worm hole one more time)

For guys that use the Shcallers,,, Just a heads up on the new design.  These are a bit better.

• No more rattling, they are silent. (Provided you swap out your existing strap pin on the guitar with the newer ones)
  • The thread post is longer, which helps to accommodate thicker straps.
  • The pull up/release  button operation feels smoother and more precise
  • They ditched the nut/washer to secure the lock to the strap for a new locking "Lock Wheel" 

This is definitely a nice improvement.  The old style, you had to check your straps, those nuts could loosen up and potentially just come apart when you least expected it.   (sooo What's the point of strap locks again??) Tighten the lock wheel and then lock it in place with the set screw.  should never move, or come loose.

They will also safely retro fit on to any existing Schaller style strap pin you may have on your guitars, even the off market ones.  I have a few of those and the new locks fit fine, (they are just not "silent")

US Cost 22 bucks for silver, 25 bucks for gold.  certainly more dough than the after market ones, and just a bit more expensive than the cost of the Schaller made ones, (they were around 20 per iirc

I don't think I'll be replacing all of the ones I currently have, but I'll probably get another set or two for the guitars I use the most.  ...that loosening washer thing...   Almost burned me once..

Worth a look see if you're using or considering using some of these.

Edited by kidblast

4 hours ago, kidblast said:

So, any of yous guys try a set of the new Schaller "S" locks yet?

Schaller S Lock Link

I ordered a couple-a sets and put em on my main LP and my Gretsch the other day.   Of course, they will do the job they always did, (Secure the strap to your guitar,, and yes it's one of dozens of options you can use,  so no need to go down the Grolsch beer bottle washers worm hole one more time)

For guys that use the Shcallers,,, Just a heads up on the new design.  These are a bit better.

• No more rattling, they are silent. (Provided you swap out your existing strap pin on the guitar with the newer ones)
  • The thread post is longer, which helps to accommodate thicker straps.
  • The pull up/release  button operation feels smoother and more precise
  • They ditched the nut/washer to secure the lock to the strap for a new locking "Lock Wheel" 

This is definitely a nice improvement.  The old style, you had to check your straps, those nuts could loosen up and potentially just come apart when you least expected it.   (sooo What's the point of strap locks again??) Tighten the lock wheel and then lock it in place with the set screw.  should never move, or come loose.

They will also safely retro fit on to any existing Schaller style strap pin you may have on your guitars, even the off market ones.  I have a few of those and the new locks fit fine, (they are just not "silent")

US Cost 22 bucks for silver, 25 bucks for gold.  certainly more dough than the after market ones, and just a bit more expensive than the cost of the Schaller made ones, (they were around 20 per iirc

I don't think I'll be replacing all of the ones I currently have, but I'll probably get another set or two for the guitars I use the most.  ...that loosening washer thing...   Almost burned me once..

Worth a look see if you're using or considering using some of these.

I was looking at these on musicians friend , didn't know what to get,now I do. How come the cheap guitar never comes off the strap? Always the expensive one... They've got cheap plastic ones,but don't imagine you can trust them.

14 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

I was looking at these on musicians friend , didn't know what to get,now I do. How come the cheap guitar never comes off the strap? Always the expensive one... They've got cheap plastic ones,but don't imagine you can trust them.

I can't explain,  the cheaper ones tend to bounce tho.. the more expensive ones, not so much.  Last time I checked anyway...

The cheap straplocks, they are probably fine, but who knows.    Like I mentioned earlier lots of guys use Grolcsh beer bottle washers, which are great if you never take the strap off.  Hard to do with thick leather straps when the gits go back in the cases when done playing.  (I do not like the seat-belt material straps..)

'sides, I don't mind dropping 20/25 bucks on a good set of strap locks considering most of my guitars set me back a bit.   All it takes is one "Ah s--t"...

Edited by kidblast

15 hours ago, jdgm said:

:-k

I have standard Schaller locks on 2 of my Gibsons.

They do rattle a bit now you mention it. But not audible when playing.

yea,  I never really thought much of it till I put these new ones on and realized they were not rattling.  Went to the Schaller web site, and only then I Realized the "S" in the name of the new style meant silent..  apparently people complained about it and they fixed it.   but you do need to install the new strap buttons to get the "S" thing..

Edited by kidblast

I may get some. My Rics have Schaller style pins. These are not screws, but bolts. That means I cant replace them without modding the guitar.

At the moment these 2 Rics share the one old strap. 

If the new Schallers retro fit the old pins I will try a set. Are they still compatible? 

21 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I may get some. My Rics have Schaller style pins. These are not screws, but bolts. That means I cant replace them without modding the guitar.

At the moment these 2 Rics share the one old strap. 

If the new Schallers retro fit the old pins I will try a set. Are they still compatible? 

Hey ME, yes,  this will work.  The strap part of new S Locks will fit any existing Schaller compatible pin.

They even mention it in on their web site  (The Link in the first post)

Schaller`s S-Locks are fully compatible with all existing Schaller Security Locks!  (without silent feature)

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2020 at 12:21 PM, kidblast said:

Hey ME, yes,  this will work.  The strap part of new S Locks will fit any existing Schaller compatible pin.

They even mention it in on their web site  (The Link in the first post)

Schaller`s S-Locks are fully compatible with all existing Schaller Security Locks!  (without silent feature)

Thank you KB. Just ordered some from StewMac. 😀

They also credited me $20, so win-win!

56 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Thank you KB. Just ordered some from StewMac. 😀

They also credited me $20, so win-win!

Nice    I had the same "gift coupon"  so I figured what the heck, I ordered 2 sets! 🙂

58 minutes ago, MichaelT said:

I've replaced a few of mine with these as well. I didn't realize that the pins on the guitar were different. I'll have to try to figure out which ones are on which guitars and which straps. 🙂

Micheal,  the new locks are compatible with the old pins. 

The best way to know is if they make a rattling noise with the strap attached, those would be the older strap pins,  the newer pins with the new locks make no noise.

I stumbled upon the new ones last July (and I think I mentioned them on this forum) when I bought a new LP.  I asked for some Schaller strap locks and all they had were the new model.  I liked them so well, I got another set so both of my main gigging guitars have them.  I didn't realize the S was for "silent" as I had not noticed the older ones rattling a lot, but they do work great.  I have some pretty thick leather straps, and the longer threaded part really makes attaching them and holding them solid much easier. 👍 

12 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I have some pretty thick leather straps, and the longer threaded part really makes attaching them and holding them solid much easier. 👍 

I find this will be one of the more welcome improvements.   I've had to cut the holes in some of my straps straps with xacto knives to get these to fit right.   The thicker straps also make removing the strap a bit harder than with thinner straps. 

The best improvement IMO was the lock wheel instead of the washer/nut.