Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Les Paul Classic vs Firebird V

cave89

Hello everyone!, this is my first post here and I hope you guys could help me out on this topic.

Well I need some advice and I found that this is the best place to ask for it. Right now I have two main guitars that I love, a PRS Ted McCarty 245 DC (which is a total keeper and my Number 1) and I recently got one of these 2018 Les Paul Classic with P90's to cover more sonic ground. I think the classic with p90's is a great guitar but I'm still dialing it in and fiddling around with it. Recently a buddy of mine fell in love with my Classic, and he's asking me if I would trade my Les Paul for his 2013 Firebird V , I've had Firebirds in the past (in fact the lest one I had was a 2013 V in sunburst), I love those guitars and I pretty much like what the mini hums can bring out. So, do you guys and gals think that this would be a good deal in terms of value, tone and versatility?, I need something that would tackle different tones that I would not get with my PRS (which is my main Humbucker guitar),  thank you all!

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I wouldn't not straight up anyway.   IMHO (and yes just me sayin) that les paul is 5x the guitar any Firebird would be

and... welcome to the asylum!

Haha thanks for the advice!, well I really think that the classic p90 is an incredible guitar, also it is the first Les Paul I have ever had that stays in tune for days!

6 minutes ago, cave89 said:

Haha thanks for the advice!, well I really think that the classic p90 is an incredible guitar, also it is the first Les Paul I have ever had that stays in tune for days!

it's no doubt a keeper..  I've never had a draw to Firebirds myself,..  to me, aesthetically, playability and tone,, a good les paul is very hard to top.   I have two standards, and I play the crap out of them.  Keep your 'Paul brutha...  you've just begun the journey..

1 hour ago, nhwildbill said:

Nice, the Black one.

I got the Pelham Blue one.

Heavy little suckers ain't they?  But I do love it as well.

Yup they're quite an anchor to hold on with your shoulder, mine weights at about 11 lbs. , sustains for days, and if you ignore the hum in a Hi Gain scenario, they sound as badass as full fat Humbuckers.  Well I know that people in the forum often compare p90 SGs with Mini hum Firebirds, but what about a full body Lester with p90's, how does it compare to a mini hum bird?