Gibson Brands Forums

J200 , PICKGUARD LIFTING OFF SOUNDBOARD

CLIVE ALLUM

17 minutes ago, CLIVE ALLUM said:

Hi ,

To those who might be interested

Just thought I would  give a progress   report on my self repair on my J200 , pleased to advise  24hrs later the pickguard still remains flat well adhered to  to the soundboard .

Hopefully it stays put , so again many thanks for all your advice and tips. Possibly , divine intervention might have played a part as well .

Just put a new set of 52-11,s  Elixir nanowebs on her and , and I fallen back in love with her .

My next problem  is the  fabric battery pack velcroed to the neck stump inside the guitar , Has anybody  yet found a better solution?.

I noted a valid comment about checking and changing a battery before a gig , but I, ve often forgotten , only human after all .

I often  wonder why, in this day and age an onboard  guitar preamp system has ,nt yet been produced that could be charged  by  a USB socket charger system similar to a mobile phone.

Contacted  Gibson Europe about it , but they didn,t pass any comment .

I am starting to think  to think I might need some  therapy

Keep on strumming ,

Great news!  Hope it stays.

Mi-Si makes under saddle pickups that charge with a special cable they provide.  takes 1 minute to do so and I think they run for 8 hours.

9 minutes ago, CLIVE ALLUM said:

Lithium Batteries ,thats a great tip ....going to check out the Mi-Si system out of interest 

I would not leave lithium batteries inside my guitar or in its case. At least in larger sizes, some types are a known fire hazard.

2 hours ago, CLIVE ALLUM said:

Lithium Batteries ,thats a great tip ....going to check out the Mi-Si system out of interest 

I originally posted about using lithium batteries, but then deleted it because the OP had asked about pickups & it seemed off topic.

Nick, I’ve never heard of 9v or AA lithium batteries catching fire.  Been using them in my camera equipment for years & they’re great - very stable power delivery.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bobouz said:

I originally posted about using lithium batteries, but then deleted it because the OP had asked about pickups & it seemed off topic.

Nick, I’ve never heard of 9v or AA lithium batteries catching fire.  Been using them in my camera equipment for years & they’re great - very stable power delivery.

Those may be ok, but I work with big lithium batteries (200+ amp hours) that can't even be shipped by air on anything but freighters. We've also had two dangerous runaway lithium ion battery fires on boats I've worked with. The big ones we use now are charged in a separate, isolated steel shipping container.

The FAA doesn't even want small lithium ion batteries in your checked baggage, since a short across the terminal of even a small battery can cause a fire.

FYI, here's the current (February 2020) FAA policy on lithium batteries of all types:

FAA lithium battery policy

These may look like any other small batteries, such as alkalines, and have the same voltage, but they are an entirely different battery chemistry. I simply wouldn't leave them inside a guitar I cared about.