Gibson Brands Forums

"Waterloo Sunset" on my Waterloo _ WARNING: Waterloo Content.

BluesKing777

Here is my acoustic/vocal version of The Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset" played on, of course what else could I do but grab the Waterloo (WL_14X)......not quite sunset yet....

Guitar has a K&K and I plugged that direct to my Boss VE8 and only added a splash of reverb. Mic is  a Shure SM58...

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Hahe he, , , title-fun guaranteed. 

You clearly are in contact with the inner side of Davies' wonderful classic.  And inspired me to learned it. Never touched it at all.  

May Wellington, von Blücher, Bonaparte and their 73.000 men enjoy this tune in peace 

Thanks Em7!

Ethan Hawke sang a version of the song when he played muso Tucker Crowe in the movie “Juliet, Naked”. I thought to myself to come up with a different acoustic version than I previously played from Chordie.com or somewhere with a torturous key.....this one is from Spotify.

BluesKing777.

BK, that's a really nice version of one of my favorite Kinks' songs. This song was so different from most of the Kinks earlier material that it was only Davies' distinctive voice that told you this was really them. Like the Beatles, the Kinks seemed to re-invent themselves with every album.

Here's my favorite live version, with Davies playing rhythm on a D-28. He doesn't even try to reach the high notes that are on the studio recording, but the song works without them.

Waterloo Sunset live

Thanks all!

My version above is in C and sat nicely for me as soon as I played it the first time in that key.

The Chordie.com versions I tried a couple of years back are in A mostly and I never got to the 'high bit' without sounding like an old smoker. 

Using the Boss VE8 ( theory says just take the gadget and plug direct to PA), the guitar I was using initially was the evil one but it sounded terrific. Then it hit me: "play Waterloo on the Waterloo! Aha ha ha ha aha." So I grabbed the Waterloo out of its case, tuned it up thinking: "How am I going to get this to sound good in the Boss?" It has a K&K pickup and that usually needs this thing and then that thing and then sounds too plastic and the Boss VE8 generally prefers a guitar with a pickup 'ready to play live' sort of thing....like an Anthem pickup or a Maton pickup, even a Baggs M80 is nice through the Boss VE8...

So I thought to plug it direct to the Boss - you know, to see where things lie. Played it. Thought: "Hmm, why is the Waterloo K&K pickup OK in this and the other 2 guitars I have with K&Ks sound..pfft.????" And then I pressed "Record" and did the version above. Sometimes you don't know how a pickup and gadget will sound until ....you do it! There you go.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

4 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks all!

My version above is in C and sat nicely for me as soon as I played it the first time in that key.

The Chordie.com versions I tried a couple of years back are in A mostly and I never got to the 'high bit' without sounding like an old smoker. 

Using the Boss VE8 ( theory says just take the gadget and plug direct to PA), the guitar I was using initially was the evil one but it sounded terrific. Then it hit me: "play Waterloo on the Waterloo! Aha ha ha ha aha." So I grabbed the Waterloo out of its case, tuned it up thinking: "How am I going to get this to sound good in the Boss?" It has a K&K pickup and that usually needs this thing and then that thing and then sounds too plastic and the Boss VE8 generally prefers a guitar with a pickup 'ready to play live' sort of thing....like an Anthem pickup or a Maton pickup, even a Baggs M80 is nice through the Boss VE8...

So I thought to plug it direct to the Boss - you know, to see where things lie. Played it. Thought: "Hmm, why is the Waterloo K&K pickup OK in this and the other 2 guitars I have with K&Ks sound..pfft.????" And then I pressed "Record" and did the version above. Sometimes you don't know how a pickup and gadget will sound until ....you do it! There you go.

BluesKing777.

It worked, and that's all that matters.

The Kinks. The great forgotten Brit Invasion band. Man when they were good they were so damn good. They did love to put out a concept album. Muswell, Misfits and Sleepwalker were dy-no-mite albums. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Thanks very much!

I should have mentioned that the guitar and mic were run through the Boss VE8's USB out direct to my mixer and then my iMac for the recording, with all EQ settings left flat.

I am really enjoying the VE8 - it is just a superb practice/recording tool and test machine!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Thanks Kelly!

For a reason someone else could explain, the Waterloo still sounds good when it is very, very humid weather and some other guitars sound like they have a blocked nose. And it has been really humid here for weeks, a month. Humid or not, Bill C nailed the 30s Kalamazoo type sound.

BluesKing777.