Gibson Brands Forums

Hello, I might have a Lenny Kravitz Concert Used Gibson

mhaupt

Years ago at a Hurricane Katrina benefit (2005?) at the Soho House in NYC I purchased at auction, a Epiphone Gibson Flying V which was supposedly concert used and signed by Lenny Kravitz, donated by his manager, guitar flown to NYC right after the show. 15 years later and no longer drunk and full of generosity I wonder if I got the real thing on my hands or maybe I was the one being played, and not the guitar.

The guitar looks used, covered in sweat and scratches but the signature looks janky. Maybe it was used by him but signed by the manager.  If there is some way I can get a better idea as to what I have, sales records, serial numbers, photos, etc.. I would appreciate any help on this. I tried calling the manager and leaving messages on web sites/facebook pages but have only been met my silence.

I'm a good guy. I was trying to support the victims (and not become one). Later, I bought a second Gibson Les Paul, new,  for my brother to help him remember his days as a rockstar before the kids and the mortgage and no, I can't play a single chord or ever strum one of these things without sending cats and dogs running for cover.

lenny1.jpg

Provenance is provided prior to the sale, not after.  Usually a used rock star used guitar comes with a couple snaps of the show(s) and a picture of the rock star signing it.  Getting these facts after the fact is virtually impossible I'm sorry to say.

rct

On 3/5/2020 at 4:25 PM, mhaupt said:

Why does it have a Gibson plate attached near the top? 

Thanks everyone. I guess I got caveat emptored on this one. Live and learn. 

Where does it say it was made? If out of the USA it is not a Gibson. Epi does that with their TRC. They are owned by Gibson though. Go to the Epi side of the forum those guys are the experts ask them if its a Gibson, and see what they say . If I'm wrong please let me know. Gibson is making Epi's in the States starting this year.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think I can go on line and get just about anything engraved on a TRC and slap it on any Gibson or Epi.  And I can order it at 2am in my underwear with a glass of scotch in my hands. There have been limited runs of Epi's made in the states since they got outsourced. But like I said if that V does not say made in USA then there is your answer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 3/11/2020 at 3:28 PM, mhaupt said:

I think the TRC is original to the guitar. Just had it checked out by a professional and it plays great so it looks like I have a new gift for my brother the musician. Thanks everybody!

Did you ever find out if L K signed it and what country does the guitar say it's made in? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my friend,

Like the others i think that something's wrong  with your guitar,

First, LK use Gibsons not epiphones

And the signature is not the same, i have a LK's flying v signature with is own signature (m595902445_Capturedecran2020-03-27a17_34_48.thumb.png.6ff64e7ee768b69d8e592ba068f9d186.pngake in 2002 in zurich's concert) and it is completly different but anyway good guitar.

Best Regards

Sorry for my mistakes, i'm french...

Edited by Megatoss

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2020 at 7:21 AM, mhaupt said:

Years ago at a Hurricane Katrina benefit (2005?) at the Soho House in NYC I purchased at auction, a Epiphone Gibson Flying V which was supposedly concert used and signed by Lenny Kravitz, donated by his manager, guitar flown to NYC right after the show. 15 years later and no longer drunk and full of generosity I wonder if I got the real thing on my hands or maybe I was the one being played, and not the guitar.

The guitar looks used, covered in sweat and scratches but the signature looks janky. Maybe it was used by him but signed by the manager.  If there is some way I can get a better idea as to what I have, sales records, serial numbers, photos, etc.. I would appreciate any help on this. I tried calling the manager and leaving messages on web sites/facebook pages but have only been met my silence.

I'm a good guy. I was trying to support the victims (and not become one). Later, I bought a second Gibson Les Paul, new,  for my brother to help him remember his days as a rockstar before the kids and the mortgage and no, I can't play a single chord or ever strum one of these things without sending cats and dogs running for cover.

lenny1.jpg

Definably an Epiphone. Three screw truss rod cover. (Gibsons always have 2) Epiphone tuners... and the biggest tell is the headstock says 'Epiphone'. 😂😂

That said ... I saw Lenny Kravitz at Wolf Trap 2019 and sat 2nd row center, and he played a number of guitars... a Strat, White flying V, a Martin D-28, and a couple others I can't recall, but none were an Epiphone.

Edited by ohyew812

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 7:21 AM, mhaupt said:

lenny1.jpg

I am 100% certain that is Lenny's big toe on the bottom right!!!