Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES175 D (1974) your opinions ?

WhiteCatzs

Well if it’s good enough for Steve Howe, then it’s good enough for me 😆

I know that Joe Pass, Pat Metheny, and lots other jazz guys played this as well, not that I’m looking for validation.

this one is from the “Norland Era”, in which it is known the quality slipped a bit, particularly from ‘75-80, but I don’t care, I’m sure it will be great, it’s only had 2 previous owners in the last 46 years.

I also like the yellow rather than reddish sunburst colour scheme, and yes it was a very good price.

Edited by WhiteCatzs

6 hours ago, WhiteCatzs said:

this one is from the “Norland Era”,

"Norlin".  Sometimes those 70's sunbursts used to be referred to as the "guitar pick sunburst", due to the shape of the lighter colored area (especially viewed from the back).  Sunbursts had more gradual shading and subtlety before that.

I'm not a fan of Gibsons of that era, but the model is a stone cold classic.  The most popular Gibson model of all time, it is said.

There is pretty much no year that is a bad year for a Gibson ES-175s from everything I've read.  I don't believe they "suffered" any in the Norlin era.   The usual "find a good one" applies, as it does to any model of any year.

Look nice!  But that from afar with no scrutiny.