Gibson Brands Forums

1948 gibson Southern jumbo

Shardin

13 minutes ago, j45nick said:

I don't think you can assume a specific neck width by year in the 1940s

That is true. And yes, 1 -11/16" for a year "or so", as you'd mentioned, along with the block logo. But it's Gibson- it's all variable, the contouring of the bridge/wings, etc. , or my wondering about the shape of the heel cap- not exactly made on the CNC machine.

Edited by 62burst

5 hours ago, 62burst said:

Given that the OP's "seller says it went back to Kalamazoo 30 yrs ago" can be taken as +/- several years, could Gibson have put the Rotomatics on there? Also note in the OP headstock, back pic- one set of tuners had offset screw holes, and some Grovers (mini Rotos) had that?

In praise of a good beater, . . . I mean "player" grade vintage guitar. Add to the lower "in" cost, less stress in taking it around, and the old thing, if well-sorted, might very well sound better than a new guitar costing the same amount. Just bear in mind, the cost to make it play it's best can be just as much, or even more than work required on a pristine example.

Here's the OP's bridge next to the 1946 Southern Jumbo that Gary Burnett took a shine to. It was just too nice, and sounded that way- to me/for me:

lDmZBMX.png

You are right.  I was thinking Kalamazoo (which is what the OP says he was told) but 30 years ago would be Bozeman,  As I do not see the Pat. Pending USA stamp on the Grovers used to replace the single enclosed Klusons, it would date them to  post-1969.    

7 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

You are right.  I was thinking Kalamazoo (which is what the OP says he was told) but 30 years ago would be Bozeman,  As I do not see the Pat. Pending USA stamp on the Grovers used to replace the single enclosed Klusons, it would date them to  post-1969.    

I thought repairs all went to Nashville after Kalamazoo shut down.

24 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Oh yes, coulda gone to Nashville- recall seeing a thread here ~10 yrs back where a headstock break AJ was on eBay at a very tempting price. The listing had a photo of the repair invoice from the Nashville shop.

As others have pointed out, none of the post production modifications were done by Gibson: the finish, the pickguard, the bizarre backstrip and purfling around the back.

Even an excellent, professional grade refinish diminishes a vintage guitar's value by approximately 50%.  There's nothing remotely excellent or professional about the refinish of this instrument.

12 hours ago, j45nick said:

I do not have a clue.  I gather the move out of Kalamazoo was gradual taking a while and that acoustics were about the last thing to be relocated.  But I obviously do not know when the repair department would have been shifted to Nashville or if the tooling and staff  to effect repairs would have remained in Kalamazoo until production was moved to the new plant.  But at any rate I guess we can conclude that Kalamazoo and thirty years ago will not work in the same sentence.