Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RandyB

Help ... Please tell me if this nut is cut correctly

My 30 day trial with my new Standard is almost up. I'm wondering whether the nut is cut too deep. No fret buzzing or anything, but it's deeper than nuts on other LPs I've had and seen. Thanks.

20200306_185424_compress89.jpg

20200306_185511_compress83.jpg

Yeah - Looks bad.  Gibson isn't cutting their nuts well at all lately.  I don't know what their problem is.  They're all cut badly.  I thought they were cut by the PLEK machine, but they're always REALLY bad.  Like the low E on my new SG - string height at the first fret was about 6/64" - it' supposed to be 1 to 1-1/2 64ths.  You pretty much can't buy a Gibson unless you can finish the nut yourself.

42 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Yeah - Looks bad.  Gibson isn't cutting their nuts well at all lately.  I don't know what their problem is.  They're all cut badly.  I thought they were cut by the PLEK machine, but they're always REALLY bad.  Like the low E on my new SG - string height at the first fret was about 6/64" - it' supposed to be 1 to 1-1/2 64ths.  You pretty much can't buy a Gibson unless you can finish the nut yourself.

Well, at least I'm not alone. She plays fine with no fret buzz or binding, so it appears to be more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. Not a big deal at this point. I'll likely change it out later, but not right now.

What have you done, if anything, about your SG?

Edited by RandyB

22 hours ago, RandyB said:

What have you done, if anything, about your SG?

I fixed it myself.  I have some nut files and I use a regular bastard file to file down the top so the slots aren't really deep.  The nuts are pretty much always too high on Gibsons, so I've gotten used to it.

Since your 30 day trial isn't up yet I'd take it back and see if they will just replace the nut - assuming you like everything else about the guitar.  That nut is wonky and sooner or later it's going to be a problem.

Spoke to two luthiers yesterday and showed them photos. Both said the top of the nut could be shaved down, but they'd leave it alone if there were no buzzing, binding, or intonation issues. I can live with the minor cosmetic issue. Funny thing ... I was in the local guitar store yesterday and, while there were some better looking nuts on the LPs, none of 'em felt or played for me as good as mine. Also, those LPs had other issues such as unfinished lacquering and residue staining, even on some of the customs. So, my conclusion from all of this is that while Gibson has made some necessary and welcome strides at improvement, it appears that it still has a long way to go on the QC front ... plainly, that's not a surprise to anyone, although I had bought in initially to the idea that Gibson had progressed more than it has.

If I were to change the nut, I'd likely take it to a luthier in any event rather than the local guitar store from where I bought the guitar.

30 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Edited by RandyB

The nut looks alright in those photos. If you don't experience any technical difficulties with it either, I'd leave it well alone.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Looks a little deep as cut by the Plek. If you don't have any buzz or sitar buzz on open strings; and not binding after bends... I wouldn't worry about it. 

Well, I'm sometimes OCD and file dress the top angled more and lower the top of the nut to expose more of strings. And I don't forget to polish to shine! Well, now I would just let it be if it plays OK.. I've become less OCD and practice more.

Yeah, I'm gonna leave it alone. Gibson said they'd replace it under warranty, but I would rather not do that on a new guitar if there are no issues. I can live with the cosmetics.

3 hours ago, RandyB said:

Yeah, I'm gonna leave it alone. Gibson said they'd replace it under warranty, but I would rather not do that on a new guitar if there are no issues. I can live with the cosmetics.

No issues? Worst cut nut I've seen in a long time. 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:55 PM, RandyB said:

I would've done the same. You just KNOW the replacement would sound like crap. And then you'd have to send that one back, and the truck would not only skid on ice and break the guitar (which would not be under warranty due to Corona), but hit and kill a deer, and then the villagers would run you out with torches and pitchforks shouting, "you killed Bambi!".