Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Fret Buzz/Clank Issue on just one note!?

Reviresco

Hi all!

I just picked up a great Gibson CS ES-339 at my local Sam Ash. Plays and sounds great. While I was there, they put new strings on it, adjusted the truss rod, cleaned it, oiled the fret board, and adjusted the pickup hight. Basically gave it a quick set up.

Everything is good...and here's the but...lol

I'll try to explain this the best I can...

On the low E string, if you press down on the 18th fret from the string being open, it makes a clanking noise. The other frets don't do this at all. If you fret the 18th fret and play it with a pick the note rings out fine. It's only when you hammer on from the low E being open.

Truthfully, I'll probably never play that far up on the low E, but I am curious about what might be causing this.

I can try to post a video if that help.

Thanks in advance for the help

Is the clanking when unplugged or amplified? Sometimes it's the string from the 1st to the 17th that would clunk on the frets. That is, the unplayed string side hits the frets.

Edited by kaicho8888
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kaicho8888 said:

Is the clanking when unplugged or amplified? Sometimes it's the string from the 1st to the 17th that would clunk on the frets. That is, the unplayed string side hits the frets.

Unplugged. If you just fret the note it rings out clear. It's just the initial fretting of the note. 

Yeah, many times the frets have a slight "fall out" or slope downwards from the 12th fret to the 22nd.  So a hammer on the higher frets would cause the string clanking on the 12th fret.  No problem if you cannot hear it when plugged. If it bothers you can  slightly adjust the tussrod for more relief.

• Thanks 1

I'm having the same problem on an acoustic. On the low E 7th and 8th fret only when hammering from open.If I fret on the Low E from 5 then to 7 its . Its pissing me off. I'm gonna rock my frets tomorrow. I have relief in it. The low E nut slot may be just a hair to low. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Reviresco said:

Yeah, I was going to lose the truss rod a little at a time, but I just ordered a fret rocker on Amazon that will be here tomorrow, so I'm gonna rock the frets first. 

I just took off the stings and flattened the neck and did a quick rock of a few and they need it. Tomorrow I got work to do.  Hope it sorts it. I do not want to get a new nut put on. But if I do, oh well.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just took off the stings and flattened the neck and did a quick rock of a few and they need it. Tomorrow I got work to do.  Hope it sorts it. I do not want to get a new nut put on. But if I do, oh well.

Best of luck!