Gibson Brands Forums

NZD

Sgt. Pepper

New Zappa vinyl day. 180 gram vinyl LP's.  Dead quiet. I recently also got Zoot Allures, Apostrophe, Over-nite Sensation, Joe's Garage all III Acts,  and We're Only In It For The Money. They sound better than my originals and the cd's I've had of them. Uncle Meat is on the way.  I need to start buying all the 2009 re-mastered Beatles on vinyl. I have The White Album from 2009, and the 50th Ann, as well as Pepper and Abbey 50th on vinyl and all my old stuff, some is beat to hell cause I got them when I was 11 or so.  Come on Let It Be. Stoked about the documentary. Haven't seen that movie since about '79.

PppQZmR.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

Shiek I will get in a week or two.  Then One Size,  Freak Out, Roxy, Chunga's, Orchestral Favorites 40th, FZ in NY 40th,  Burnt Weeny, Weasels. Might do Lumpy Gravy. Never really dug that. Weasels and Burnt have moments I can't take. Saw him live in  '84 three times.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

As the CD age came about I stupidly gave my freinds all my Zappa LP's as I got them on CD. What the hell do I need these hiss filled things for when CD's are quiet as hell. As you can guess I a kicking myself in the @ss at this moment.

Listened to Ruben when it came now its Absolutely Free time.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Unlike SOME PEOPLE, I kept the original albums, bought the CDs and have the remastered vinyl albums.

The remastered albums are an improvement over the ones you gave away.

Assuming the ZFT doesn't go bankrupt we should be able to amass the entire catalog.

Not to derail, but what are you all using for turntables.  I had an old bang and olufsen, was great back in the day - but couldn't get needles for it anymore so sold it on craigs list a couple years back. 

All my vinal got ruined when my basement flooded...  cool stuff from me, but even cooler stuff from my dad.

Edited by billroy fineman

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Unlike SOME PEOPLE, I kept the original albums, bought the CDs and have the remastered vinyl albums.

The remastered albums are an improvement over the ones you gave away.

Assuming the ZFT doesn't go bankrupt we should be able to amass the entire catalog.

I will and I know you will. Still waiting for You Are What You Is (that was just after I got into him and it holds a place in my heart). I have Ship Arriving and Shut Up all three on killer Japanese pressings. Apostrophe is my absolute fav and could listen it every day followed by Joe's Garage, but that one takes some time as its 6 sides long.

Are affair has been quite heated

You Thought I was what you need

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

Not to derail, but what are you all using for turntables.  I had an old bang and olufsen, was great back in the day - but couldn't get needles for it anymore so sold it on craigs list a couple years back. 

All my vinal got ruined when my basement flooded...  cool stuff from me, but even cooler stuff from my dad.

I know Steve has a killer set up. I think he posted a pic of it a long time ago. I got all my stuff in Japan when I was stationed there. I have a Denon DP-59-L Turntable, Denon POA 2400 Power Amp, Denon PRA 1200 Pre-amp and Polk Audio RTA 11T Tower speakers, and Polk Audio 5JR Monitor Speakers. Does the job. Even though I foolishly gave away about I'm guessing 150 records I still have over 800. Haven't counted in a while. I have maybe 500 cds. Havent counted them In a while either. My prize possession is a Japanese copy of The White Album on white vinyl and it has never been touched by a needle.  I have 8 or 9 copies of The White Album. I got a problem with that one. The album cover looks damaged in the pic but it's not. Its absolutely pristine. I have the 4 photos out of it of the lads framed in my man cave. The poster is still inside. I got 3 other vinyl copies of it I let a needle touch. If you haven't heard the 50th Ann. stuff its killer. I like them better than the originals as well. Stuff in the mix you never heard is now audible. The first plays of each was a shock to the system.

c0F7qoZ.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Every time I try to post a photo here it says it's too big and this is the ONLY site that does this.  I have no idea why, it must be user error on my part.

For a turntable, I have two Well Tempered, both with Ortofon 2M Black cartridges with Jolida JD9 phono preamps.  Works well.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Every time I try to post a photo here it says it's too big and this is the ONLY site that does this.  I have no idea why, it must be user error on my part.

For a turntable, I have two Well Tempered, both with Ortofon 2M Black cartridges with Jolida JD9 phono preamps.  Works well.

Put my stuff on imugr and I have no problem uploading from there.

• Thanks 1

Thank, I forgot who I was using it's been so long.

Here all the old Well Tempered Turntables.

One is the square motor, t' udder is the later Classic.  Cool design as there are no bearings: the platter spindle is in Mobil 1 5/30W with some polypropylene nubs to keep it in check, the arm floats on a paddle partially submerged in silicone goop and is suspended by fishing line.  Just a brilliant, stupidly simple, incredibly clever idea.

PwrB7Ud.jpg

QXqFiXH.jpg

And here's the downstairs system:

BNjybWj.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

I'd like to come and play some of my nice LPs on that lot!

However as I'm in UK this will have to do;   I've had it since the mid 1970s; almost daily use since then,  should get the plinth  replaced with something heavier and stone-ier [laugh]    Garrard 401 in SME plinth with SME 3012 mk2/3 arm which has been back to SME for upgrades.  £120 Audio-Technica MM cartridge. Needs a service.

Goes into a Quad 34 then a Quad 405-2 and upgraded Gales speakers with  2x8" drivers and tweeter.  Sounds wonderful.  Still lovin' my vinyl.

I don't have much space but there is absolutely no distortion - as my neighbours 2 doors away told me [biggrin]

Deck2012.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Thank, I forgot who I was using it's been so long.

Here all the old Well Tempered Turntables.

One is the square motor, t' udder is the later Classic.  Cool design as there are no bearings: the platter spindle is in Mobil 1 5/30W with some polypropylene nubs to keep it in check, the arm floats on a paddle partially submerged in silicone goop and is suspended by fishing line.  Just a brilliant, stupidly simple, incredibly clever idea.

PwrB7Ud.jpg

QXqFiXH.jpg

And here's the downstairs system:

BNjybWj.jpg

I need  moment to clean the screen. Are those those thin membrane speakers?