Gibson Brands Forums

The writing of Guy Clark’s “the guitar” first time I heard this.

Paul14

That story reminds me of buying my incredibly beat-up 1950 J-45 off the wall of a music store in Jackson Mississippi for $50 back in 1966.

Only difference: I still sounded like me when I played it.

It did have my name on it, however. Still does.

I was the actual TENTH MAN  in that song writing group.  I suggested a final verse  ....   "And as sure as my name is Martin Gibson,  this is the first guitar I got for free."   They kicked me out.. 

Edited by fortyearspickn

The only thing money can't buy is true love and homegrown tomatoes.

Did you catch Steve Earle last year on The Guy Tour?   It was Earle's way of saying thank you to an old friend he had known since the days he was attempting to break into the business.  Amazing show.  Earlie kicked it off with "Dublin Blues" which is one of my favorite Clark tunes.

Saw Verlon last year at the cactus cafe here in Austin and he told the story about the Bourgeois before playing this song.  He along with Shawn Camp played all of the great songs from Guys catalog.   Guy Clark was definitely a once in a lifetime songwriter. I am very fortunate to have saw the show with Verlon and Shawn, it was an amazing night of great acoustic tones and a wonderful tribute to Guy.