Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Marley?

smithy78

Hey guys, was just wondering what you guys thought of Bob Marley? I never used to like him that much, thought he was quite repetitive... But I was forced to listen to him when I was with friends,with a few smokes of course.. I gradually got into his music, and now I love him. I think he had a great outlook on life, and offers a very unique and uplifting experience with his music... What do you guys think? Have any of you ever felt the mystic groove of listening to Marley whilst stoned?

I agree with cookieman, it gets better after you go to Jamaica.

I enjoy his music, although it's definitely better after a few smokes!=D>=P~

I went to Jamaica and while there I learned that the Jamaican government was terrified that this guy would start a revolution, so despite the laws against pot they allowed it to be grown and consumed in his compound. Still to this day the government won't enforce the laws against pot there.

Happens with all music if you listen to it too much really...

Yeah tell me about it. I love The Clash, they are one of my all time favorite bands, but I can't sit through a whole song because from 6th-10th grade I listened to at least two or three of their cds a day. Before taking music theory, I learned how to play guitar (and bass too actually) by learning all their parts by ear. It breaks my heart.

Yeah tell me about it. I love The Clash' date=' they are one of my all time favorite bands, but I can't sit through a whole song because from 6th-10th grade I listened to at least two or three of their cds a day. Before taking music theory, I learned how to play guitar (and bass too actually) by learning all their parts by ear. It breaks my heart.[/quote']

Same with me.. It's like you still know that it's your favourite music, but it has lost it's edge. You know every note and there is nothing new to your brain, so it doesn't make you feel much...

I dig Marley! I used to drive around the country a lot, and there were times you just needed Marley to mellow out the drive.

Never listened to him high. I prefer to let the music make me high, and his music does. In fact, I feel the need to go lively up myself at the moment.

His music has a lot of feel, and I dig the story about his attempted murder and him going on stage shot and in pain because evil doesn't rest. Great story.

I dig Marley! I used to drive around the country a lot' date=' and there were times you just needed Marley to mellow out the drive.

Never listened to him high. I prefer to let the music make me high, and his music does. In fact, I feel the need to go lively up myself at the moment.

His music has a lot of feel, and I dig the story about his attempted murder and him going on stage shot and in pain because evil doesn't rest. Great story.

[/quote']

Yeah the guy's a legend... Great to see so many Marley fans..

I got turned onto Marley when I was in grad school. A friend sent me some cassettes, including all his favorite Marley tunes. I only had to hear "Waiting in Vain" once before I was hooked! In fact, we were just doing some of his stuff Friday night. I've found a kindred soul in our other guitarist. Homz is still resisting my efforts both to turn him into a Marley fan and to go to Jamaica!

Started listening to Bob Marley in college while partaking in recreational activities (not the kind you find in a Gym) and found his music very interesting. His words were not just thrown out there but had meaning. The man had a great outlook on life and I still love listening to his stuff especially the "Uprising" cd I have. I agree that Peter Tosh, Third World, Jimmy Cliff, Ziggy Marley and hosts of others that came behind Bob can continue to carry the torch but Bob is still "Da Man" when it comes to true Reggae music. Jamaica is on my short list of places I will go before I check out of this world.

In Florida, Bob is everywhere. For me, growing up in the 70's I didn't encounter him until college. These days every kid over the age of 12 has loads of Marley on the iPod. Personally, I don't listen to him that often anymore. Once you know every song by heart, what's the point? When I do, it's the real early stuff. First album with Tosh and Bunny Wailer for sure. I also love his real early "rock steady" stuff too. Much more R&B.

Archived