Gibson Brands Forums

What type of strings do people like on their small bodied Gibsons?

generaldreedle

The Nick Lucas is such an interesting combination- small body, tight waist, deep body, and maple- what's the guitar telling you what would sound good on it?

Personally, I've found the design of the J-185 with it's maple, is a crisp enough sound-  no need for 80/20's, let alone any need for a Tonerite.

21 minutes ago, 62burst said:

The Nick Lucas is such an interesting combination- small body, tight waist, deep body, and maple- what's the guitar telling you what would sound good on it?

Personally, I've found the design of the J-185 with it's maple, is a crisp enough sound-  no need for 80/20's, let alone any need for a Tonerite.

I just got it, so don't have a lot of experience yet.  It came with PB lights and I played it for a bit then put Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20 lights on last night but haven't played it yet.  It's not a soft guitar, the video of The guy on Wildwood playing it describing it as throaty and robust sounds right