Gibson Brands Forums

I hope you are all playing

MorrisrownSal

I played two gigs about a week and a half ago.

Havent picked up a guitar since. crazy times.

Alls I can think of is that awesome quote now... i'd rather have a life with guitars and no money, than one with money and no guitars.

Pick away, and share what songs you are playing for the end of days!

(PS I just bought stock this morning   wish me luck!)

• Like 3

"I hope you are all playing"

Consider taking your own suggestion, if you will. At home, in your comfy guitar bunker.

"bought stock this morning"? Sal must be a buy low, sell high kind of guy. . . the opposite of my guitar buying strategy- "buy high, sell low".

Stay well, all.

17 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Alls I can think of is that awesome quote now... i'd rather have a life with guitars and no money, than one with money and no guitars.

The quote I remember from back in the 1960's was "It's better to have drugs and no money than money and no drugs"  😎

I play every day, whether I need it or not! 🙂 

In 2 bands at the moment. we don't work much,, yet but the music is fun and I really like working with these folks.  Most are long running co-conspirators.

also recently got gig with a local 20pc orchestra and Chorale group (60 voices) that has a show in May.   We do 2 or 3 a  year.  Last one was a Christmas concert, it was awesome.   It's quite different than anything I've ever done before,  it's pretty crazy when everything/everyone gets going.,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

crazy times.

Crazy times for sure - and the experts on tv here say you haven't yet realized the bug overthere - hope they are severely wrrrroongga. . 

Songs right now ? , , , apropos cash I take a pleasure from finally learning For Free. . 

IMO, another big shoe is about to fall here in the US. We really have no idea of the scope of this thing yet, and as recently as this morning the Vice President could not provide any figures on the number of tests that have been given. But last week he said that there would be 4 million tests available by the end of this week. When you think about that.... if only 1% of the people taking those tests were positive, then that would be 40,000 cases and NOT the 1,000 number I've seen mentioned so far. Sure seems like we will see the numbers go way up soon, although the administration is trying hard to avoid providing any real statistics.

Not really worried about myself, I'm retired, healthy, live in an isolated place and am as anti-social as anyone you will find. 😉 But I do worry about what it will do to others, like my friends who work as stagehands, technicians and managers in the entertainment industry.

Edited by Boyd
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Boyd said:

The quote I remember from back in the 1960's was "It's better to have drugs and no money than money and no drugs"  😎

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. “weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed”

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. “weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed”

I loved the Freak Brothers! How about Fat Freddie's cat? If I ever find cat doo in my earphones, I think I may laugh myself dead!

I don't have any gigs lined up until the end of April....quite a few from then until the Fall.  I sure hope this crazy pandemic is history by then.  I guess, in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to work on my chops a bit....maybe even learn some new songs....try to turn a negative into a positive.

Played for about an hour and a half this evening. Great way to wind out the day! Playing the guitar, harmonica, singing and watching a gorgeous sunset over the gulf!! Not a soul listening!

Just got done looking at the news - Disney and Universal studios shutting down  along with most of the local venues - likely into next month. We are at the peak of tourist season here in south Florida and with everything closing up it's going to get real interesting. You think it's really necessary?

1 hour ago, B.T. said:

Played for about an hour and a half this evening. Great way to wind out the day! Playing the guitar, harmonica, singing and watching a gorgeous sunset over the gulf!! Not a soul listening!

Just got done looking at the news - Disney and Universal studios shutting down  along with most of the local venues - likely into next month. We are at the peak of tourist season here in south Florida and with everything closing up it's going to get real interesting. You think it's really necessary?

Yes it is - playing to the sun is magnificent. I do it during summertime on the little balcony here. She's a very fine listener. 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Yes it is - the logic is to keep the curve flat (number of infected down). Lesser crowds means less contact means fewer smitten.  Overflown hospitals and lazarets must be avoided.     

Edited by E-minor7

Yes, played in my lunch break with my 2002 Gibson J50 and a Baggs M80 in the soundhole run through my Boss VE8 and headphones....felt a bit like Nero fiddling....Better Half working from home to avoid the train, Melbourne Grand Prix cancelled after everyone was here ready to practice for the first race of the season. And of course, the panicking dipshites have emptied ALL the supermarket shelves of toilet paper for the last week....including someone getting tasered in the toilet paper war:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I tend to have to take a hiatus from playing in the winter as the arthritis in my hands acts up in the colder weather.  I have only really started to try and play for the past day or two.  Last night trying to shake the cobwebs off of both me and the guitars I pulled out some old faithfuls such as Hot Tuna's "Mann's Fate" and  Rev. Davis' "Cincinnati Flow Rag,"   No real thought as to what guitar to grab, just snatched whatever was closest at hand which were the  WM-00 and the  B45-12. 

Originally learned to play back in the 1960's as a teen. Basically stopped in my early thirties. Started again about four years ago, after I was forcibly retired.

Had pretty much forgotten everything and had to start over and re-learn to play. Now playing about an hour or two per day. I still stink, but I play for my own pleasure and that's all that matters.

And what am I playing? All kinds of old stuff. I just learned "Desperado" by the Eagles.

RBSinTo

Still here, still playing, still writing. Not gigging much due to work and property management duties but I play one instrument daily even if just for a few minutes.

I'm skeptical about all of this rabid paranoia and will bet money it's being over hyped just like everything else.

• Haha 1

Well, the overhype is working, Murph....

While I was having a guitar practice and a morning coffee, a little recording, then later a bit of lunch.....and a spin to the guitar shop to get a box of strings......the zombies have been panicking after our Grand Poobah told everyone there was no need to panic......and have picked the supermarket and bakery bare to the effin bone. First time in my life, no bread at all left. Tomorrow I will line up with the zombies to get bread at bakery opening time!

And still no effin toilet paper. Pure selfish greed and madness.

BluesKing777.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, B.T. said:

You think it's really necessary?

Yes, it is.

While we probably can't stop the spread of the virus, we can impact on the rate at which it spreads by reducing exposure of a large number of individuals at once. This is one reason airports, theme parks, political rallies, and sports events pose such a public health risk.

The risk is overwhelming the health care resources. If 500 people come down with the virus at the same time, that's a lot harder for the system to deal with than if 10 people come down with it.  Large gatherings increase the risk of large numbers of people being exposed simultaneously or near-simultaneously.

If you think it's overhyped, you really aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world.

Wake up.

Had a NBD (yeah, banjo)  2 weeks ago - so I have been pouring over my very old Pete Seeger Book and my brand new Earl Scruggs book.  For the first time ever, I've learned to use finger picks comfortably.  (The key is to fiddle with them using a needle nose pliers until they fit perfectly on each finger. I put yellow paint on the 1 pick and red on the 2 pick. Soften and shape the plastic thumb pick in really hot water.)  And, I need to change the 2 year old strings on my J45 Custom.  Finally broke down and decided to get a string winder.  Another thing I wish I'd done decades earlier!  

I'll have plenty of time for these things: We've decided to limit interaction with people, being we're both in our 70s and my wife's health is 'compromised'.  We're going to politely ban our kids and grandkids from stopping by.   One of our kids and his family is currently on a Caribbean Disney Cruise. They left a few days before the media poured gasoline on this and before the cruise lines first started offering refunds.  And before Mexican ports like Cozumel closed their borders.  Our other son and his wife and 3 daughters went up to Austin for a Spring Break mini-vacation at a luxury hotel.  From the photos, they've had the place to themselves.  Our third son - his wife is a bank manager and they are being required to stay open - including the lobby.  I guess the bank company never heard of all the germs found on paper money! Pregnant women are allowed to stay home.   And our daughter and her kids are still going to a couple of different pools every day (college and school district) for swimming teams they are on.  

So - even though I agree this is hype, especially if you compare it to the media's   'back page coverage' of Swine Flu (H1N1) ten years ago -  we're 10 years older now and feel it !   Our grandkids  don't remember Swine Flu, but they'll never forget "Corona Virus".   I just hope they don't think it was caused by Mexican Beer!   Almost all the shelves in our local grocery store are empty.  Apparently a case of 12 cans of soup is $55 on Amazon!  Best of luck to all my fellow old codgers on here! We may wind up eating cat food yet.  And using corn cobs. (Remember to take the kernels off first.) 

5 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm skeptical about all of this rabid paranoia and will bet money it's being over hyped just like everything else.

I sense you are serious here, still not sure.  If yes, , , and if this was a political forum I would have asked : Why

Would governments all over the globe be interested in stopping the machine, , , all growth and so forth to control people/societies/development ?, , , or maybe to remove the focus from climate challenges, , , which some see as an indirect revolution. .

Weellllll, , , never mind. Better get back to the guitar. Have given it a totally different string by string action these past days and it plays like a Bird. 

5 hours ago, j45nick said:

Yes, it is.

While we probably can't stop the spread of the virus, we can impact on the rate at which it spreads by reducing exposure of a large number of individuals at once. This is one reason airports, theme parks, political rallies, and sports events pose such a public health risk.

The risk is overwhelming the health care resources. If 500 people come down with the virus at the same time, that's a lot harder for the system to deal with than if 10 people come down with it.  Large gatherings increase the risk of large numbers of people being exposed simultaneously or near-simultaneously.

If you think it's overhyped, you really aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world.

Wake up.

The choice as been largely removed from my hands.  The couple of places where I tend to play regularly are in places which are not permitting gatherings within their walls until further notice.