Gibson Brands Forums

CRaZy tIMEs INdEEd

brad1

Let me start by saying I am a public school teacher. And yesterday, before I left school we were all told that the school district was going to be closing all schools for the next 4 weeks.

So it looks like I am going to have a whole lot of extra time to play my drums and guitars!\:D/

I just got back from the grocery store. I like to go early on saturdays to avoid the rush. I was there at 7:30 this morning. Usually there is about 5 people there.

This  morning the place was packed with people. No toilet paper, no water. Just like the news has been saying.

People are just nuts sometimes.  

How is this covid-19 crap affecting you? [confused]

Edited by brad1
  • Like 1

Nothing yet in Myrtle. But who knows whos been tested or how many. Especially with tourists season.  My wife is a transplant patient so we’ve been extra careful. Yeah tp has been hard to come by, now they are hoarding kitty litter  

• Like 2

I work in a Urgent Care.  We have an outbreak of Covid-19 at a local facility so some people are in a bit of a panic.    The whole thing is way overblown by the media and politicians.   So far (it may change) this is way less severe than H1N1 back in 2009.  In the US alone, that infected 60 million people, hospitalized 250 thousand and killed 15-20 thousand.   I agree that this will likely be over soon.  It seems like it's already fizzling out in China.  

Edit:  15-20 thousand

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

Similar here with the loo roll, pasta, all anti bacterial products, bottled water and a few other things.. All gone from the shops for like a week or so now.. The thing is I am almost out of TP, very selfish people hoarding it all.. Like this is the end of times and they need months and months worth of supplies.. Ridiculous.

Schools not shut YET. But I reckon we are headed there pretty quickly.

I am not making this political and I hate to agree with your great leader but in this case the media really aren't helping matters.. Like every possible time they can they say words like "potentially fatal" and stuff like that.. Causing a panic. And while I agree this virus is spreading like crazy.. Its not worth loosing your head over. People die all day every day. But we also have to remember more people are born which is actually a bigger issue than this virus. I think I heard something like 150,000 die a day and 350,000 are born...  

At work they were taking some reasonable measures.. The café wasn't accepting cash and were spraying the door handles every hour...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

I work in a Urgent Care.  We have an outbreak of Covid-19 at a local facility so some people are in a bit of a panic.    The whole thing is way overblown by the media and politicians.   So far (it may change) this is way less severe than H1N1 back in 2009.  In the US alone, that infected 60 million people, hospitalized 250 thousand and killed 15-20 million.   I agree that this will likely be over soon.  It seems like it's already fizzling out in China.  

I think you meant "killed 15-20 thousand" ... ?  I think it was actually  a bit less than that, but it seems the right order of magnitude ...

5 hours ago, labomba said:

Nothing yet in Myrtle. But who knows whos been tested or how many. Especially with tourists season.  My wife is a transplant patient so we’ve been extra careful. Yeah tp has been hard to come by, now they are hoarding kitty litter  

If NASA sends us home next week, I'll be down in Little River right after I go home and pack and then then the 5 hour dive to get there.

If I can't get any TP I'll take a dump then shower. Life will go on. Or get baby wipes.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife and I manage a condo complex on an island in south Florida. Been dealing with the potential of this for several weeks. We have several elderly - health compromised owners in residence and I have no choice but to interact with them periodically. Our board of directors is very concerned about our health and is notifying the residents that our availability to them will be very restricted, but that goes against my grain. I have had to proactively think through everything from staff and resident contact protocol to how to maintain security in the unlikely event a number of our guard staff become ill. Compound this with the inability to procure sanitation supplies due to the ridiculous amount of panic hoarding of everything from toilet paper to bread. Thank you hyperventilating media....  We bought a reasonable amount of extra disinfecting wipes and sanitation supplies a few weeks back, but shame on me for not anticipating the total overreaction and hoarding that is taking place. Not going to last much longer. Hopefully the manufacturers and suppliers are gearing up to take advantage of the frenzied / stupidity. I suppose we will have to tolerate some limited price gouging. 

We own a house off site and are provided an apartment on site so we have decided to limit our ventures into the social arena, stay at the apartment and try to stay well so we are available to help any that might need it, hopefully limiting the possibility of exposing them. Sounds all noble and selfless, well... not entirely.... in reality this is a great place to hole up! Private gulf beach, olympic size swimming pool, several hot tubs and the residents are great! I'm sure we can endure somehow!

If by some miracle we all stay well, I might even get some extra guitar time, do a bit of writing and perhaps even relax....

I don't mean to sound flippant. This is a serious situation and we are praying for it to subside quickly. 

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If NASA sends us home next week, I'll be down in Little River right after I go home and pack and then then the 5 hour dive to get there.

If I can't get any TP I'll take a dump then shower. Life will go on. Or get baby wipes.

Lol. Didn’t even think about baby wipes. Spring breakers are arriving. There’s gonna be alot of funky smelling college kids running around 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Murph said:

The media has it whipped into a frenzy.

I predict everything will calm down quicker than they would like. 

The confusion plays right into the hands of many bad actors.   Some people  will lose money - some will make millions.  And then there's the elephant in the room - the politicians with their hidden agendas.   But, yes - the media is making it worse.  They are word crafters and carefully plant words and phrases like   'mounting fears'    'critical shortages'    and  'experts predict likely .... '   They do the same thing even with the weather forecast.  "Major Winter Storm affecting millions."   As Buffalo  gets 2'' of dirty snow.   Of course, this time, there are more devious reasons the media is fanning the flames than trying to help out the toilet paper producers. 

By the way -  in the old days -  they used corncobs and the Sears Catalog. 

• Like 2

Half a month's gigs cancelled. Half a month's income for both my wife and me are gone. ☹️

But some have it much worse so we're counting our blessings.

Grocery stores are crazy, we belong to a warehouse club that fortunately limited many items to 2 per day, plus the general public can't shop there, so while supplies are low, they aren't out. I understand Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie shelves are bare.

I've got more time to work on style files and song files for my part-time 'moonlighting' business of aftermarket products for Band-in-a-Box at http://www.nortonmusic.com

I'm neither panicking nor taking it lightly. Erring a bit on the safer side of things, and not worried. Even though I'm in the age risk group, I am extremely healthy (I catch a mild cold every 15 years or so and that's it).

I'm missing the cancelled gigs though.

Insights and incites by Notes

I had the chance to get TP a couple of days ago and didn't bother. I have one in use and another spare. Should last a few weeks yet. 

If needed, we have facial tissues, kitchen roll, baby wipes, female wipes, and junk mail. 

If that isn't enough, I have a jerry rigged bidet too.

The hoarders with pallet loads of it will likely have to throw most of it away due to seasonal damp, mold & mice. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Can someone explain to me why a virus is making stores low on TP?  What the fuk people. Go about your life, and stop causing more chaos. 

People go to buy things in their local store(s).  Here in my township of about 52,000 people, we have exactly Two(2) grocery stores.  Neither of those grocery stores of themselves could possibly support the entire population if they all came in at once, and both stores combined could never support the entire township population if they all came in at once to buy stuff.    There isn't anything in most peoples towns that is by design of sufficient capacity to support the entire population at any one moment because that isn't how things work 99.9999% of the time.   "hoarders", "greedy", "self centered", all the words used to cover the real problem that we don't have the infrastructure for such a thing, and it's fine every other day of the years.  

rct

59 minutes ago, rct said:

People go to buy things in their local store(s).  Here in my township of about 52,000 people, we have exactly Two(2) grocery stores.  Neither of those grocery stores of themselves could possibly support the entire population if they all came in at once, and both stores combined could never support the entire township population if they all came in at once to buy stuff.    There isn't anything in most peoples towns that is by design of sufficient capacity to support the entire population at any one moment because that isn't how things work 99.9999% of the time.   "hoarders", "greedy", "self centered", all the words used to cover the real problem that we don't have the infrastructure for such a thing, and it's fine every other day of the years.  

rct

I'm going online this minute to buy all the guitar strings in every gauge from every maker. Screw you guys. Zombie Apocalypse happens at least I will be able to strum.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mutha said:

Up to today I wasn`t to worried, now their closing the pubs. This just got serious.

For feck sake we`re Irish, what the hell we gonna do now?

I'm hoisting a fantastic double Hendricks and Q, grapefruit and rosemary, to you and your countrymen and countrywomen.  Spanktacular cocktail and we will lament for you the loss of public drinking places. 

rct