Gibson Brands Forums

CRaZy tIMEs INdEEd

brad1

3 hours ago, rct said:

When I was his age it was a different disease, but I remember how powerful I was.  Nothing was going to stop us, and nothing is going to stop him.  I am happy for the short time he will feel like this and I hope he is as lucky as I was through my young 20's.

rct

2 hours ago, Cougar said:

Not me.  Guys like him are potentially putting others at risk.  He ought to be slapped upside the head.

I agree with both sentiments.  

Here's the question.  I thought Spring Break was for college students.   Are those people college students??  If so, we need to increase the standard.   

And they want me to pay for their loans.   Sheesh.

4 hours ago, Black Dog said:

I work for a large health care system in urgent care.  Front lines for this crisis.  We had an outbreak at a local facility.  Paradoxically, patient volumes are down.   That's good news, people are getting the message and staying home.  Now that testing is more available and widespread, the numbers are going to climb fast just because more people are being tested.  One of the problems is that most Covid-19 infections are mild so people don't seek care or testing which is fine, but it tends to give misleading information on mortality (death rate) because we only have actual test positive cases in the denominator.  When they calculate mortality for Influenza, they use complex computer models to estimate the total number of cases so you can't really compare the two rates.  The actual numbers of Covid-19 infections are probably at least 10 times greater than the positive test cases.

Anyway, the social and business shut downs should help stop the spread.  I think that most of this is way overblown.  If all sick people would just stay home that would probably be enough. 

In China, they are not reporting any new cases in Wuhan, that's very

Don’t know if I would believe anything the Chinese are saying let’s hope it’s true though

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, labomba said:

Don’t know if I would believe anything the Chinese are saying let’s hope it’s true though

You can never trust trust the Chinese Government, or any other communist government.  But, I think now the info coming out of China is at least a little better than in the beginning when they were actively trying to hide it from the world.   Although they did recently expel western reporters...

But, if you look at the curve of cases from South Korea, it closely matches the curve from China, just on a much smaller scale.  

Edited by Black Dog

3 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

You can never trust trust the Chinese Government, or any other communist government.  But, I think now the info coming out of China is at least a little better than in the beginning when they were actively trying to hide it from the world.   Although they did recently expel western reporters...

You would think they would let the reporters stay to prove it. It wouldn’t surprise me if true, they locked down millions of people. That could never happen here in the USA

5 minutes ago, labomba said:

You would think they would let the reporters stay to prove it. It wouldn’t surprise me if true, they locked down millions of people. That could never happen here in the USA

Maybe not the same way.  The way they are dealing with Mr. Spring Break up there is that they are shutting down all the bars, restaurants, beaches and possibly hotels.   That'll do it.

Edited by Black Dog

1 minute ago, Black Dog said:

Maybe not the same way.  The way they are dealing with Mr. Spring Break up there is that they are shutting down all the bars, restaurants and possibly hotels.   That'll do it.

I saw that and I thought my generation was bad. Total disregard for others. The state supposedly is gonna crack down. They are worried about the lost revenue. It’s always about the money

They just banned all live music, closed bars, made restaurants drive-through only, closed museums, closed parks, and banned crowds of more than 10 people.

All my gigs have been cancelled and probably won't get work again until October -- IF it is over by then.

So I'm completely out of work gigging until whenever.

So it's draw on the buffer, as little as possible, tighten our belts (Leilani is my wife and duo partner so both are out of work), and hunker down to write new aftermarket style 'disks' and fake 'disks' for Band-in-a-Box for my http://www.nortonmusic.com business. It won't bring money until everything is done, but at least it's working at making a living.

South Florida is very tourist oriented, so bands, DJs, karaoke hosts, housekeeping at hotels, bartenders, wait staff, cooks, fishing boat captains/crews, 'ladies of the night', theme park workers, taxi/uber drivers, and countless other hospitality workers are now out of work.

At least my house is paid off and I have some savings. Others have it much worse. Many of the hospitality workers live from week to week.

IMHO firing the entire NSC Pandemic Team was a bad move. It made things a lot worse.

At least being stuck at home will lower my chances of getting the COVID

Notes

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

They just banned all live music, closed bars, made restaurants drive-through only, closed museums, closed parks, and banned crowds of more than 10 people.

All my gigs have been cancelled and probably won't get work again until October -- IF it is over by then.

So I'm completely out of work gigging until whenever.

So it's draw on the buffer, as little as possible, tighten our belts (Leilani is my wife and duo partner so both are out of work), and hunker down to write new aftermarket style 'disks' and fake 'disks' for Band-in-a-Box for my http://www.nortonmusic.com business. It won't bring money until everything is done, but at least it's working at making a living.

South Florida is very tourist oriented, so bands, DJs, karaoke hosts, housekeeping at hotels, bartenders, wait staff, cooks, fishing boat captains/crews, 'ladies of the night', theme park workers, taxi/uber drivers, and countless other hospitality workers are now out of work.

At least my house is paid off and I have some savings. Others have it much worse. Many of the hospitality workers live from week to week.

IMHO firing the entire NSC Pandemic Team was a bad move. It made things a lot worse.

At least being stuck at home will lower my chances of getting the COVID

Notes

Man I feel for you. Out of us all here, you're about the only one I can think of who's total income is based on playing music. Most of us just do it as hobby or supplement . I'm bummed because my little gigs are canceled at least through April, but I know it's nothing like what you are dealing with. Best of luck to you through all this mess.  

I work for a small machine shop where it's only 5 employees. So far we are all still working. Glad I'm no longer working for the airlines. 

I went to the local Hannaford's this morning.   It's getting depressing. 

Simple things like Yeast,  nope..  Basil, nope, Toilet Paper,  NNNNNNNNNO, don't even bother. 

Some paper towels, but we have a good supply of that.

We have a few freezers here at the house so we have plenty of things frozen, but the meant counters in the stores are like half if not over half empty.

Soup isle, lots of empty shelfs among the stock that's left.  These were always FULL,

I walk around starting to wonder where this is all heading... 

But then I get to the register, and see the ppl working there carrying on their work like there's nothing wrong really.   Talking to customers, laughing, smiling at people.. and that kind of brightens up a dark day.   

Things are bleak right now, but This too shall pass. 

Keep the faith people, hang in there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brad1 said:

The Gov.  of California has ordered all residents in this state to stay home.

It is mandatory.

Can he really do that?:-k

he can't, he's asking people to be smart, vigilant,  but there's too many stupid people walking around.   none of this applies to THEM...

however, once the national guard comes in,  and the containment regions start setting up THEY sure as h--l will enforce it.

Edited by kidblast

If everyone had just continued buying household products as they did before the panic, the shelves would still be full.

People are in a different state of mind now. People are hoarding.  We didn't hoard. Maybe we did come home with an extra 12 pack of tp, but I would scarcely consider that panic mode.  

We don't have a ton of food stocked up, but I'm not really seeing anything bad at the stores other than bread/tp/Ramen/pasta stuff being bare. I did buy a bag of bread flour and some yeast, and may try making a couple loaves at some point, but to be honest, most of the time bread turns blue at my house before it's used up.  Maybe it will get worse before it gets better, but I doubt we're going to starve.

As to tp....come on, people. I have running water and plenty of washcloths. I'm betting you're okay too.

I'm a federal employee, and different agencies are handling it differently. Mine is currently: front doors are locked. One person per agency at any given time. We rotate with whatever schedule works for all of us. Some of us are set up to telework, but there are other problems with that...we're upgrading much of our computing systems and most of the time the stuff doesn't work (nothing to do with the virus btw). I will telework quite a bit but I may take annual leave here and there. I usually end up needing to take half of December off rather than lose it.

This too shall pass, and we will be bruised but wiser.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

If everyone had just continued buying household products as they did before the panic, the shelves would still be full.

People are in a different state of mind now. People are hoarding.  We didn't hoard. Maybe we did come home with an extra 12 pack of tp, but I would scarcely consider that panic mode.  

We don't have a ton of food stocked up, but I'm not really seeing anything bad at the stores other than bread/tp/Ramen/pasta stuff being bare. I did buy a bag of bread flour and some yeast, and may try making a couple loaves at some point, but to be honest, most of the time bread turns blue at my house before it's used up.  Maybe it will get worse before it gets better, but I doubt we're going to starve.

As to tp....come on, people. I have running water and plenty of washcloths. I'm betting you're okay too.

I'm a federal employee, and different agencies are handling it differently. Mine is currently: front doors are locked. One person per agency at any given time. We rotate with whatever schedule works for all of us. Some of us are set up to telework, but there are other problems with that...we're upgrading much of our computing systems and most of the time the stuff doesn't work (nothing to do with the virus btw). I will telework quite a bit but I may take annual leave here and there. I usually end up needing to take half of December off rather than lose it.

This too shall pass, and we will be bruised but wiser.

I said the same thing. Buy like you usually do and we'd be fine. 20 cases of covid 19 and its chaos at the store.

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm in LR. Gonna stay here till I have to go back to work. 

Good you made down okay. Hopefully things will get better soon. We’ve been laying low cause of the wife’s immune system being deficient from transplant. 

Edited by labomba