Gibson Brands Forums

What Pickups on my Guitar???

Larsongs

How can I tell what specific Pickups are on my Gibsons & Epiphones? (Without taking the Guitar apart)

Example; I have HB's on my Heritage Cherry 2000 Gibson Les Paul Std. Plus. But, which ones? 

Does the Serial number decode what they are? If so, where can I find the info..

Thanks,

Larson

Larson - As far as your 2000 Les Paul Standard Plus goes, it almost certainly would have come with 490R/498T alnico humbuckers.

I happen to have the 2001 catalog, and every LP Standard model came with the same 490/498 combo (that includes the Std, Std Plus, Std Smartwood, Std Raw Power, & Std Double Cutaway).  Gibson did not make many changes from year to year back then, so there's a very high probability that all LP Standards came with the same pickups in 2000.

Without taking your guitars apart, catalogs or online data would be the best way to get specific details on pickups.

Edit:  The model number, as opposed to the serial number, may also provide some clues.  The model number might appear on your sales receipt if you were the original purchaser, or possibly on a COA if the guitar came with one.  Given the model number (usually a combination of letters & numbers), Customer Service in Nashville might be able to decode it for you. 

Edited by bobouz

Serial Numbers on Cars tell most of the information & thought Guitar Serial Numbers might also...

I have files on all my Guitars & for some reason everything but the Receipt is missing? I did buy it new.. 

You sparked my memory & I'm positive it has the 490R & 498T Alnico HB's... I'll do a bit more research to verify 100%..

Thanks,

Larson