Gibson Brands Forums

A quick solution to an SG with 3 pickups?

SG dude

Hey guys, lets face it, i get bored easily (but i am strangly very easily amused)+:-@ well, I was playing an SG with 3 pickups and i realised what all you guys were saying about the middle pickup, lack of tonality, etc, but i thought it was a nusiense sometimes. i realised that all you guys love P90's! so, why not take out the middle pickup and replace it with a P94 (the one that fits into a humbucker space) then just turn its volume up when you need it! just an idea.

what d'yall think?

Back in the early seventies, I had a friend who did something similar--He had a 68 Standard,I had a 68 Special. We swapped guitars,and he installed one of those mini-humbuckers between the pickups. The installation was crude,bad routing,and cut the pickguard with tinsnips, but WHAT A SOUND! I was jealous, even though I had his Standard that I was lusting for forever! Then he sanded it down & painted it dayglo orange. No more NV!

You should get a Seymour Duncan P-Rails put in. Its the size of a humbucker and it has a P90 wired to a hot rail. You get a tone knob replaced with a 3-way switch and then you can switch between the P90, both pickups together to make a sweet juicy humbucker sound, and the hot rail. It sounds awesome and in my opinion sounds great mixed with other pickups.

I have one in my SG Standard and it sounds terrific. I plan to put one in the neck position soon too. I had mine wired with a master volume and tone in the bridge knobs and then the P-Rail switch and a coil tap in the other knobs. With this you can get any sound without sacrificing tone. I love it.

Here is the specs and a video demo on it at their website.

Here is it as Musiciansfriend but if you buy it in a store it might be cheaper for installation and the guy will probably be familiar with it.

Archived