Gibson Brands Forums

Whose playing what on what?

uncle fester

Day 4 work from home has enabled a bit more playing time, been working on 'minnie the moocher' on the J45, and a little DADGAD (bartons hollow) on the guild.  I think I need a square shoulder Gibson for my open tuning work...  Anyone else have some extra time to dust off any songs?

My office / music room, J45 front and ctr 🙂

eo4gpZJ.jpg?2

Edited by billroy fineman

No extra time here, if anything I'm busier in survival mode.

Finished an original, still critiquing it myself.

Still digging the Bose S1-Pro and the Bose L1-Compact. I usually just use 2 mics through the S1 and line out. It's so simple and natural sounding. I can line out of the L1-Compact also into, for example, my Carvin AG100D, or an old XR600 into some huge mains.

Big fat natural mic'd sound works great on the J's and also the resonator, mandolin and Good Times banjo.

Dig it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billroy fineman said:

Day 4 work from home has enabled a bit more playing time, been working on 'minnie the moocher' on the J45, and a little DADGAD (bartons hollow) on the guild.  I think I need a square shoulder Gibson for my open tuning work...  Anyone else have some extra time to dust off any songs?

My office / music room, J45 front and ctr 🙂

eo4gpZJ.jpg?2

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has a dual purpose office and music room. I work from home about 80% of the time in any case, so the only thing that has changed is my business travel is open to review  every day. 

All of that travel could go away and I would be just as happy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

I'm currently working on some old Ian & Sylvia songs...mainly WILD GEESE.

I'm always amazed at some of the songs folks work on (in a good way).  Are you just doing the guitar parts for this one, or are you doing vocals as well?

Edited by billroy fineman
  • Like 1

It's Martin Week here until tomorrow. Then it's SJ-200 Week!!!!!  🙂 

My what I'm playing is my usual pre-2k pop-rock-country-blues mixture. Most recently, as of 20m minutes ago, it was "Running of Faith". After a short break and loaded up into Notepad is "Lay Down Sally", and will probably chase it with "Magnolia" as performed by the guy that wrote it to begin with.

• Like 1

Trying to play deep River Blues on the used Nick Lucas L100 Maple I just got.  Then I'm trying to learn the acoustic Come and Go Blues on the Martin HD 28 VTS, and lastly trying to compare those with my guild JF 30 and Southern Jumbo.  I'm working from home 24/7 now but there is some down time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, generaldreedle said:

Trying to play deep River Blues on the used Nick Lucas L100 Maple I just got.  Then I'm trying to learn the acoustic Come and Go Blues on the Martin HD 28 VTS, and lastly trying to compare those with my guild JF 30 and Southern Jumbo.  I'm working from home 24/7 now but there is some down time

Cool stuff, how are you bonding w/ the NL?

1 hour ago, Holiday Hoser said:

Had a little time to organize lyrics into a binder and work on some Capo stuff Toad the wet sproket's Something has gone wrong and You should have seen it in color Jamie Johnson as well as I'm writing new words for Ryan Adams "Come text me up" 

Getting organized bites, but pays dividends.  

Just running through my meager repertoire on my 2018 Guild F512, then the 2002 Guild JF30-12, then the 2018 Gibson Songwriter 12-string, and finally the 2011 Guild F50R 6-string.  Petty and Dylan and anything else that pops into my head....

fff492.jpg

F512

4 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Cool stuff, how are you bonding w/ the NL?

I fled town for two weeks when the virus hit, after having it for only three days.  Now I'm back and when I flee again I'm taking it with me.  I really like it a lot.  It has a huge tone, loud, but the notes decay quickly.  It's really deep too.  I may post more as I play it more.