Gibson Brands Forums

I think it's a J45 62

Paul Harrington

19 minutes ago, Paul Harrington said:

My neighbor has what I believe to be a 62 J45. It has had bridge work done, it has had the same strings since 89. I tuned it and sounded awesome. Body is a bit road worn but only cosmetic  stuff as far as I can tell. He is in his late 70s he is trying to get a ballpark value. Can someone help

Need a picture to help at all.

I can say with confidence that the guitar in that picture is nothing like a 1962 J-45. It looks like it might be an SJ, maybe mid or late 1960s or a little later, but we need more photos to be sure.

Others here may know better than I do, but definitely not a 1962 J-45.

If you can give us the serial number of the guitar--should be stamped on the back of the headstock, but could possibly be stamped on the neckblock inside--that would help pin down the year.

I am surprised it doesn't have  a paper label inside.

I've factored in the bridge, which actually looks like an earlier replacement rather than 1980's if Gibson did it. However, Gibson might have replicated an earlier bridge, although they were notorious for installing what parts were current whenever  the guitar was in the factory for work

The guitar is almost certainly (assuming it is a Gibson, and not a knock-off) an SJ from 1962 or later. The serial number will help clarify. The width of the neck at the nut, up where the neck transitions into the headstock, will be another indicator of the year in this period. Measure this precisely, across the nut, if possible.

Do not rely on online serial number daters when it come to guitars in this period. There are people here with access to alternative sources who will give you a much more reliable answer.

It would be nice if OP Paul H would upload and embed/post the photo directly here on the page. Recommend imgur.com.

Sorry, but with all sorts of concerns about infections lately, not likely to click on a blind Nigerian domain link from a person with one (at the time) post.

Yep, that is definitely not a J-45. Were they using paper labels in 1962? I have a 1965 J-50 and there is no label, the center splice (cleat?) is just stamped "J50 ADJ BRIDGE" . I had the idea that this was what they did in the 60's.

Looks like a mid 70s Norlinesque Southern Jumbo to me...

Funnily enough, you are not the first one to find you can’t load pics or vids.🙁

I have loaded approximately four billion guitar photos here! 😎

I am the photo loading Blues King!

So take a few minutes, join Imgur for free, load your photos to it and you get all the options then to load a link direct to the forum by copying and pasting their link. Imgur works for a lot of other stuff too, sending to friends easily (send a link instead of the whole file in your email, for example.)

Edited by BluesKing777

39 minutes ago, Boyd said:

Yep, that is definitely not a J-45. Were they using paper labels in 1962? I have a 1965 J-50 and there is no label, the center splice (cleat?) is just stamped "J50 ADJ BRIDGE" . I had the idea that this was what they did in the 60's.

The SJ was a higher-end guitar, pretty much on the level with the Hummingbird, which it closely resembles other than the pickguard. As such, I would expect a label, but could be wrong.

I think Em7 has an SJ from around this period, and may be able to offer some insight.

This one has the trapezoid neck inlays, which I associate with the 60s.

• Thanks 1

This guitar never was a 1962 J-45 the way I never was an olympic triatlonist.  

Can't believe the bridge was fixed either. Your good neighbour needs to prove that his memory isn't failing. 

Looks like a late 60s Southern Jumbo in fine form and since the guard seems to be screwless 68 may be out of Q.

The case is a bit disturbing. Could it belong to another older Gibson guitar. A 1962 J-45. . . .