Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

March 17th, reported 260 here infected & 14 dead.  That's Nebraska. Total in US they said was 4,800 infected & 95 deaths. World wide was 190,000 with 7,500 deaths. But yes, that number changes almost daily.  They have maps Jim if you want to follow it daily in all the states. 

• Like 1

In my county we had an outbreak/cluster at a Veterans home.  There are around 150 residents there and around 250 staff.   14 residents became infected.  The average age was 90 years old.  eventually only 4 staff members became infected.  That's pretty remarkable considering the daily close contact they have with the residents.  There has been intensive screening and testing  going on here and to date there have not been any other cases identified in the area with the sole exception of one physician in a neighboring town.  

The good news is also that only one of the Vets eventually got sick enough to be hospitalized.  Sadly, he eventually died.  He was over 90 years old.  All of the other Vets are recovering in place at the facility.

If you put aside all the hype from the media and look at this objectively, it doesn't really seem that bad.  If you compare what's happening now by the numbers to past viral pandemics it seems that these drastic measures being taken are probably not necessary and are quite possibly causing more harm than good.  

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

30 positive so far,numbers have not risen much,but some of the places are waiting for results from the cdc.  Am I social distancing? For the most part,but had to take bread to a friend who lives on one of my farmsteads. He hasn't been anywhere so he's well,but hungry.

27 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

In the instance you describe, I'd say the reason the medical staff were largely uninfected is because medical professionals are incredibly careful in their work habits to avoid infection. It's testimony to good hygiene standards in the medical and nursing professions.

32 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I don't believe COVID-19 caused a new recession

1)  The staff were working around those residents for a long time before anyone knew they were positive.  I've worked in and been around lots of these types of facilities and they usually wash their hands once a day, whether they need it or not.  You have way too much faith in them.

2)  When I was referring to "the numbers" I wasn't referring to the outbreak in the VA home.  I was referring to the total US nation wide numbers.

3)  The economic downturn had nothing to do with Covid-19.  Right.  

• Like 1

The count for today in my country (Argentina) is 301 with 4 deaths, but the tests are made only for one medical center in Buenos Aires. This week 19 new hospitals in several other provinces will be able to check the virus in blood, so probably the numbers will rise.

We have a mandatory quarantine since last Thursday until end of March, but the government is thinking into extend it since the expectations is to have the pick of the cases by middle of April.

My prays are with all the people that suffer the illness and with the medical,  nurses and janitorial teams that are taking care of them around the world.

BR to everyone 

Andy

• Like 1

A couple thousand here in California. Increasing exponentially in the steep portion of the curve headed upwards. I am still going in to work (healthcare). Close to running out of PPE supplies. Staying at home and or keeping distance when venturing out is really key from what I can see. Hopefully the majority of folks will avoid contracting the virus until an effective vaccine is developed. Those who don't get the virus of course won't have immunity so a vaccine or effective treatment is key. Those that get COVID-19 in the US still have a good chance of beating it if not elderly or with preexisting illness. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Doesn't much matter though. We're all left to deal with the outcomes, and we can all deal with the current situation as we wish. You can John Wayne your way through the crisis, and I can hide in my living room. Either's good. 

Some are sheep, some are wolves.  They both meet the same end.

• Like 3

Off to the clinic this morning to see more potential Covid-19 cases.  I had two cases of really bad pneumonia that went to the ICU.  Both look like they're going to rule out for Covid-19 based on their x-ray and CT findings but the Covid tests aren't back yet.  My system announced that we have 12 days of PPE left.  It was 9 but due to a marked decrease in visits and conservation it's been extended.  I buy my own masks because the ones at work don't fit me very well.  I have about 2 months supply at home.

• Like 1

90 last night statewide with 1 death..

Each Island has different levels of medical facilities, some not so much, most people travel to Ohau for the best treatment

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1