Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Some really good posts from Black Dog. Thank you! 

ABSOLUTELY ! He posted on this thread A MONTH ago - the article noting that in CA they had found with a random test that the mortality rate is around one-tenth of a percent, not 4% or 5%. 

Makes one wonder why not one governor  stood up and  questioned this.    Another story this morning - in  Taxachussetts (we moved from there 30 years ago)  a town on the coast has decided they will NOT turn on the water for beach homes when the residents come to open them up for the summer! Wasn't this the state that had the Boston Tea Party?  Near the coast that was, says I.  Don't you need fresh water to make tea?  And to make Sam Adams beer I bet:  Put a frog in a pot of boiling water, he jumps out.  Put him in cool water and gradually turn it up - he stays until he boils. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Another story this morning - in  Taxachussetts (we moved from there 30 years ago)  a town on the coast has decided they will NOT turn on the water for beach homes when the residents come to open them up for the summer! 

So, won't that cause the summer residents to NOT come there? Which will further reduce their tax income for the summer.

Guessing they don't need any more money.

Hoping the Government remembers that when they ask for a bailout.

• Like 1

119 new cases in Dauphin Co. since that little pep rally.

593 in my county, 41,165 state wide.

Saw Meet The (de)Press this morning, it looks like nearly the whole planet gets it and a vaccine may happen, it may not.  

It's also too early to tell if herd immunity is real or just wishful thinking.  

2 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I was going to wait one full month but we are about 2 days off so.....

These were the approximate numbers for New York state on March 29th (see my post on page 2 of this thread):

53,363 confirmed cases

782 deaths

and here are the numbers according to the same website today: 

292,027 confirmed cases

17,303 deaths

That happened in one month here.  Yes, there are about 19.5 million people living in New York.  It's a very small percentage of the population. But that's a lot of grammas and grandpas that won't be around anymore.  Some mom's and dads.  A few kids.  It's not about percentages, it's about people.  And this is clearly significantly different than the flu. 

You have no idea how any of this works.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

You have no idea how any of this works.

I would like to know how any of this works, because I don't want to be missing anything.  So, how does any of this work?

rct

41 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

And you might not be around next year to argue with. 😂 

CDC reported 4,517 deaths in New York from Flu/Pneumonia in 2017. 

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/newyork/newyork.htm

So what?  the CDC estimates for Flu deaths in 2017-2018 was 61,000.  

The fact that you think it's funny that I might be dead reveals your mentality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rct said:

I would like to know how any of this works, because I don't want to be missing anything.  So, how does any of this work?

rct

You're gonna try again?  If I haven't gotten through to you yet, I'm not gonna.  

The bitter disapproval some have for everything I say proves this is purely political.  Everyone knows it.  Just admit it.

I've put up historic facts, data, analysis and explanations that you don't seem to understand.

It's been 27 years since I started learning about this in medical school.  Apparently I can't teach you all that on this forum.

Confirmed cases on the planet: 3,055,375

Confirmed deaths on the planet: 211,032

Confirmed cases in USA: 1,004,679

Confirmed deaths in USA: 56,495

USA = 4.25% of world population

USA = 32.88% of confirmed world cases

USA = 26.77% of world deaths

Data from Worldometers

10 minutes ago, rct said:

Confirmed cases on the planet: 3,055,375

Confirmed deaths on the planet: 211,032

Confirmed cases in USA: 1,004,679

Confirmed deaths in USA: 56,495

USA = 4.25% of world population

USA = 32.88% of confirmed world cases

USA = 26.77% of world deaths

Data from Worldometers

So you're saying the shutdowns in the US failed then, is that right?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

So you're saying the shutdowns in the US failed then, is that right?

I think the 3M is showing total confirmed cases and not subtracting those who have recovered or deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

scroll down to the Active chart that shows 1.9M currently infected, still extremely scary..

Edited by mihcmac

1 in 35 (!!!) deaths on the planet are in New Jersey [scared] - that's pretty hard to comprehend, so stay safe rct.

I think we had about 8 new cases and no deaths in Australia on Sunday. Testing is really ramping up it seems. Some relaxing of restrictions starting but only minor changes really.

2 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The example was new York.  So look, you made the point for me.  In all of 2018 there were only 3 times as many deaths NATIONWIDE from the Flu as there were from COVID-19 in NEW YORK ALONE and ONLY IN THE LAST MONTH.   Do you see it now?

See what?  That we had more deaths from the this pandemic?  Of course.  That's not the point.   #-o

46 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

It's spreading crazy fast.   That is the point.  Spreading much much faster than the flu.    

Who says?  And you're using the wrong tense.  It's already spread, that's the point.   You can't take the butter back off the bread.

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

It's spreading crazy fast.   That is the point.  Spreading much much faster than the flu.    

How do you know this? How could you possibly??? And what "Flu" are you talking about. They are not all the same!

Neither of those things mean it's spreading fast.  It does mean there are a lot of cases now but we don't know how long it took to get there. 

There is evidence now that the virus was circulating in California as early as early December.   China reported it's first cases to the WHO on 12/31/19 (or so they say).  So we know they had to have there for at least a month before that based on the California data, and probably earlier.  Also, we knew we were having a worse than normal Flu season and lots of cases of Flu like illness that were testing negative for Flu.  I know, because I was testing them myself.  We all just thought it was a bunch of false negatives, which do happen.  In hindsight, they were probably Covid.   So  it's been around here for a long time.   

Antibody testing from New York now  indicates that around 2.7 million people have had it in NY State.   There was an outbreak in a prison in Ohio where they found around 2000 out of 2500 inmates got it but 95% had no symptoms at all from it  (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-prisons-testing-in/in-four-u-s-state-prisons-nearly-3300-inmates-test-positive-for-coronavirus-96-without-symptoms-idUSKCN2270RX).  

So it causes little to no symptoms in the vast majority that get it.   That's why it spread so far before we could figure it out.   

Vaccines are a pipe dream.  We have never had any effective vaccine for a Coronavirus.  There are lots of reasons for that and there is no reason to believe that we'll get an effective vaccine for this virus.  And if we do it will take at least a year, probably longer.  

Drugs?  We don't have any.  Not for the cold or any coronavirus.  We don't even have decent medication for Influenza.  There are a couple new ones that will be available soon but the ones we have now are not effective.   Again, even if they can get one, it's a long way off before it hits the market.

So what do we have?  We have a virus that makes most people not very sick or not sick at all.  We also know who does get very sick from it.  So what should we do?  Shut down the entire World indefinitely?  No.  We should protect our vulnerable and let the virus run it's course and hope that we get herd immunity, which we probably will.  Yes, I know immunity is not proven yet but, that is most likely what will happen and it's really all we've got.

Edited by Black Dog

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

3/29 data above.   Now the same site says 17,303 deaths in NY state.   Would you say that is spreading slow?   Note if you butter one slice of bread, it doesn't mean you spread butter on the whole loaf.  

Oh, and don't forget that those numbers are falsely elevated because you don't have to know if someone has the virus to say they died from it!!!  That's freekin hilarious.   Trust your leaders!!!  LOL.

• Like 1