Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

14 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

• Some nonessential Georgia businesses — including hair salons, tattoo parlors and bowling alleys — are reopening on Friday, despite a statewide increase in coronavirus deaths.

Since when are bowling alleys considered to be nonessential?  

Churches here too,  as long as family groups can sit 6 feet away from one another. That will be a trick since ours has a few thousand members and 2 services. 

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Some really good posts from Black Dog. Thank you! 

ABSOLUTELY ! He posted on this thread A MONTH ago - the article noting that in CA they had found with a random test that the mortality rate is around one-tenth of a percent, not 4% or 5%. 

Makes one wonder why not one governor  stood up and  questioned this.    Another story this morning - in  Taxachussetts (we moved from there 30 years ago)  a town on the coast has decided they will NOT turn on the water for beach homes when the residents come to open them up for the summer! Wasn't this the state that had the Boston Tea Party?  Near the coast that was, says I.  Don't you need fresh water to make tea?  And to make Sam Adams beer I bet:  Put a frog in a pot of boiling water, he jumps out.  Put him in cool water and gradually turn it up - he stays until he boils. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 8:10 AM, Pinch said:

no quote here   just sympathy to those suffering loss while forums blither on about crap

• Like 1

"Makes one wonder why not one governor stood up and questioned this."

Because  they saw that it was nonsense!

I'm done now. Stay healthy everyone!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Another story this morning - in  Taxachussetts (we moved from there 30 years ago)  a town on the coast has decided they will NOT turn on the water for beach homes when the residents come to open them up for the summer! 

So, won't that cause the summer residents to NOT come there? Which will further reduce their tax income for the summer.

Guessing they don't need any more money.

Hoping the Government remembers that when they ask for a bailout.

• Like 1

hard to spend money if your not alive...

119 new cases in Dauphin Co. since that little pep rally.

593 in my county, 41,165 state wide.

Saw Meet The (de)Press this morning, it looks like nearly the whole planet gets it and a vaccine may happen, it may not.  

It's also too early to tell if herd immunity is real or just wishful thinking.  

On 4/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, Black Dog said:

For all those who think "we" are "flattening the curve", consider this:  For many, many years we have known that in the US, the cold/Flu season starts in the fall, peaks somewhere between January-March and then rapidly falls away in April-May.  That's what happens with all respiratory viruses.   The exact same thing is happening with this virus.  What a surprise.  

I was going to wait one full month but we are about 2 days off so.....

These were the approximate numbers for New York state on March 29th (see my post on page 2 of this thread):

53,363 confirmed cases

782 deaths

and here are the numbers according to the same website today: 

292,027 confirmed cases

17,303 deaths

That happened in one month here.  Yes, there are about 19.5 million people living in New York.  It's a very small percentage of the population. But that's a lot of grammas and grandpas that won't be around anymore.  Some mom's and dads.  A few kids.  It's not about percentages, it's about people.  And this is clearly significantly different than the flu. 

2 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I was going to wait one full month but we are about 2 days off so.....

These were the approximate numbers for New York state on March 29th (see my post on page 2 of this thread):

53,363 confirmed cases

782 deaths

and here are the numbers according to the same website today: 

292,027 confirmed cases

17,303 deaths

That happened in one month here.  Yes, there are about 19.5 million people living in New York.  It's a very small percentage of the population. But that's a lot of grammas and grandpas that won't be around anymore.  Some mom's and dads.  A few kids.  It's not about percentages, it's about people.  And this is clearly significantly different than the flu. 

You have no idea how any of this works.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

You have no idea how any of this works.

I would like to know how any of this works, because I don't want to be missing anything.  So, how does any of this work?

rct

41 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

And you might not be around next year to argue with. 😂 

CDC reported 4,517 deaths in New York from Flu/Pneumonia in 2017. 

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/newyork/newyork.htm

So what?  the CDC estimates for Flu deaths in 2017-2018 was 61,000.  

The fact that you think it's funny that I might be dead reveals your mentality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rct said:

I would like to know how any of this works, because I don't want to be missing anything.  So, how does any of this work?

rct

You're gonna try again?  If I haven't gotten through to you yet, I'm not gonna.  

The bitter disapproval some have for everything I say proves this is purely political.  Everyone knows it.  Just admit it.

I've put up historic facts, data, analysis and explanations that you don't seem to understand.

It's been 27 years since I started learning about this in medical school.  Apparently I can't teach you all that on this forum.

Confirmed cases on the planet: 3,055,375

Confirmed deaths on the planet: 211,032

Confirmed cases in USA: 1,004,679

Confirmed deaths in USA: 56,495

USA = 4.25% of world population

USA = 32.88% of confirmed world cases

USA = 26.77% of world deaths

Data from Worldometers

10 minutes ago, rct said:

Confirmed cases on the planet: 3,055,375

Confirmed deaths on the planet: 211,032

Confirmed cases in USA: 1,004,679

Confirmed deaths in USA: 56,495

USA = 4.25% of world population

USA = 32.88% of confirmed world cases

USA = 26.77% of world deaths

Data from Worldometers

So you're saying the shutdowns in the US failed then, is that right?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

So you're saying the shutdowns in the US failed then, is that right?

I think the 3M is showing total confirmed cases and not subtracting those who have recovered or deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

scroll down to the Active chart that shows 1.9M currently infected, still extremely scary..

Edited by mihcmac

1 in 35 (!!!) deaths on the planet are in New Jersey [scared] - that's pretty hard to comprehend, so stay safe rct.

I think we had about 8 new cases and no deaths in Australia on Sunday. Testing is really ramping up it seems. Some relaxing of restrictions starting but only minor changes really.

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

So what?  the CDC estimates for Flu deaths in 2017-2018 was 61,000.  

The fact that you think it's funny that I might be dead reveals your mentality.

61,000 in New York alone (apples to apples)?  I would be very surprised if that was true.  Link to source? 

4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

61,000 in New York alone (apples to apples)?  I would be very surprised if that was true.  Link to source? 

No that's total US.

The example was new York.  So look, you made the point for me.  In all of 2017-2018 there were only 3 times as many deaths NATIONWIDE from the Flu as there were from COVID-19 in NEW YORK ALONE and ONLY IN THE LAST MONTH.   Do you see it now?

Edited by ghost_of_fl