Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Howard Stern sparks outrage by saying Trump and his supporters should 'take disinfectant and all drop dead' after president suggested it as a coronavirus treatment

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8266469/amp/Howard-Stern-suggests-Trump-supporters-disinfectant-drop-dead.html

Sorry I wasn't clear -  I meant,   since you  seem to be promoting this line of thinking - you should actually include the quote itself -   not a reference to it or a link.   

17 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Here's one. Took me 1 minute to find.  Docs had their twitter acct suspended because, like here, someone didn't want to hear what they had to say. 

https://ncrenegade.com/editorial/whisteblowing-er-docs-urge-open-up-society-now-because-lockdowns-are-weakening-our-immune-systems/

Could be that someone didn't want to hear what they had to say.  And if those that didn't want to hear were doctors and medical professionals?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/health/california-doctors-coronavirus-claims/index.html

Maybe 2 minutes would have found you something more reasonable.  Vetted a little maybe.  Maybe not.

rct

• Sad 1

I took a look at my spreadsheet and in April the number of cases in PA went from a around 400 to 44,366.  I'm really thankful that our governor is working closely with the neighboring states instead of just saying don't worry about it, back to normal.

It may not be much of a big deal out in rural states but in north east it's a different situation.  

Really a strange time to be living through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I took a look at my spreadsheet and in April the number of cases in PA went from a around 400 to 44,366.  I'm really thankful that our governor is working closely with the neighboring states instead of just saying don't worry about it, back to normal.

It may not be much of a big deal out in rural states but in north east it's a different situation.  

Really a strange time to be living through.

I think you make a very good point Steve. It will vary by location tremendously.

Are the people in the project housing developments in Queens NY 'cowering in their homes' or wisely protecting their families when they see those around them dying in numbers way above usual?,  is it normal that the UK death toll last week went from a steady 25 year weekly average of 9k to 22k? ...there are places where it is very much more risky for people ....and there are places where its not nearly such an issue.

Even here in Oz we are seeing different states relax restrictions at different rates and times. I expect this may even extend to different areas within a state as we move forward.  Hugely challenging for those making the calls, but not one size fits all.

Edited by 'Scales

If I lived in a little town out in the middle of nowhere it would just be some terrible thing happening far away but nothing to be terribly concerned about on a personal level at the moment.  Maybe later, maybe never.

NYC, Philadelphia and Baltimore aren't all that far away and the areas right around me are getting hammered so yeah, it's a concern.

The hospital where I went to following my heart attack has been converted to one floor cardiac, the rest COVID-19.  All of the other floors have been moved to another facility (cancer, maternity, ER, etc.).  The crud is creeping closer, the locals act like they're in the middle of nowhere.  We're not.

I understand the need to reopen the economy to stave off a global depression  but it's a balancing act.  I fear we'll rush into it too quickly and then wish we had exercised a little bit more restraint as we're not totally sure what this stuff is doing to us.  Lungs and now maybe heart and maybe children?  

A relative works for the local hospital system so I hear about it a lot.  This is something to take very seriously.  

Talking about the flu is a distraction, this is something a bit more worrisome, especially at this stage of the game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Remember when an Air Florida jet crashed into the Potomac River in 1982, killing 78 people,  and Stern called the airline to inquire about the price of a one-way ticket from National Airport to the 14th Street Bridge?  Yeah he kind of has a track record for poor decisions that get him a lot of attention. 

Yeah. That's when he was on DC 101. He got fired and replaced by The Greaseman

27 minutes ago, rct said:

I'm glad to see the words "The Greaseman".  I didn't think anybody remembered him.

And Don Geronimo and Mike O'Meara.

rct

I miss Don and Mike. 

I enjoyed their show.  

Don lived for a little while here in Sacramento.  He had a talk show on the radio. It was not very good and was canned.

Not the same without the other Mike.  

I was never a Howard Stern, I liked Don Imus back in the 80s when I was doing a commute into NJ every day.

The Richard Nixon skits were just hilarious but eventually the show just got too political and I stopped listening.  

Well, since the House of Representatives is 'self-quarantining' themselves, I guess we're all on our own.   First responders, essential workers risking getting this virus - but Our Elected Representatives are cowering in their bunkers.    Their only words of inspiration  - are  "Stay the course - maintain Social Distancing."   Of course, "Social Distancing" is the  Progressive code word for - keep all businesses, churches and protests shut down."    3.8 Million more of us lost our jobs last week.   

This has been one of the dumbest things we've ever done as a country.  There were many things we could have done to protect the vulnerable without shutting down the entire economy.  Have them shelter at home.  Have food and supplies delivered.  Give them financial aid.  Lots of things.  It would have been more effective, less expensive and done way less harm.  

We have cancer patients around the country that are not getting their chemotherapy.  Are they not vulnerable?  How long should they go without it?  Until they're dead?  That's just one example.  there are countless others.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

A good amount of the "at risk" people need assistance at home.  There isn't always a family member to stay with them.  Some older people don't have any family left.  So now you have to quarantine all the caregivers too.  Not as simple as it sounds but it's a nice thought.  I was thinking the same way in the beginning of this.  I just don't think that's realistic anymore.  

And exactly who is caring for those people now?  Are the caregivers quarantined?  No, they use PPE.  It is actually a very realistic plan.  Much more so than a complete shutdown that does not show better results when compared to less drastic measures.  That's a fact. 

There is no perfect answer.  But there are better alternatives.  

people dont seem to understand that the at risk people are all of you, doctors  daughters musicians   EVERYONE--- DO WHAT YOU CAN TO SAVE YOUR FELLOW HUMANS FROM THIS---