Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

11 minutes ago, gdecant1 said:

I am paying attention. Herd immunity for humans should never ever be a plan. 

Yes.  Herd immunity is a positive consequence, not something we actually aim for.  The two words have been tossed around by more Smartest Guys In The Room these last two months than the retard bus can carry.  Friggin morons.

rct

I kind of agree with all of you simultaneously here. Let's not lose our heads. 

16 minutes ago, gdecant1 said:

I am paying attention. Herd immunity for humans should never ever be a plan. 

I never said plan.  I said approach.  

1 hour ago, gdecant1 said:

When i hear "herd immunity" i think of cows

So maybe there is a misunderstanding of what I'm talking about here.  In the context of this virus (not polio or smallpox or anything else), what we're talking about is a virus that causes a very, very mild illness in healthy young people.  If we develop a plan to shield the vulnerable (which can easily be done), and let the young healthy people get it, then they will protect and shield the vulnerable with their immunity.   It's the exact opposite of killing the old, or anyone else for that matter.  It has nothing to do with cows.

One more thing.  You seem to question my fitness for my profession.  I graduated medical school in 1997.  Since then I've seen over 150,000 patients.  I've never even tried to keep track of the number of lives I've personally saved.  If I would have done it, It would be a very large number.   I still do it every time I go to work, Covid-19 or not.  

• Thanks 1

Problem with that theory is it's been reported that people who have already had COVID-19 are not immune.  South Korea and Germany have reported patients who were cleared and then got sick from it again.  It's a nice thought but not a one size fits all solution.   

Edit: source https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/south-korea-coronavirus-retesting-positive-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by ghost_of_fl
Source
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Problem with that theory is it's been reported that people who have already had COVID-19 are not immune.  South Korea and Germany have reported patients who were cleared and then got sick from it again.  It's a nice thought but not a one size fits all solution.   

Edit: source https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/south-korea-coronavirus-retesting-positive-intl-hnk/index.html

You are like a little puppy, chasing it's tail and other shadows.  You wander around on the internet chasing this or that or the other thing.  That is the fog of war.  Nobody knows what any of it means.  You don't get through it by panic.  The way you get through it is by following the science of what you know.

Black Dog - are you saying 'Herd Immunity' can occur where the having the virus does not cause immunity after infection?  How exactly does that work Big Dog? 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Black Dog - are you saying 'Herd Immunity' can occur where the having the virus does not cause immunity after infection?  How exactly does that work Big Dog? 

First of all, many of the tests that were developed in a hurried fashion, especially those outside the US, had high false positives and false negatives.  We even had a lot of that here in the US.  So when someone has a test result you don't always know what it means.  Second, just because there may be SOME people who's exposure and infection did not result in immunity DOES NOT mean that everyone else has no immunity.  You know absolutely nothing.

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

Sigh. It wasn't a study, it was a bunch of medical doctors going "hmmmmm this person was here last week, cleared and discharged and now they have returned sick with the same thing again".   You're just not listening buddy. 

3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Sigh. It wasn't a study, it was a bunch of medical doctors going "hmmmmm this person was here last week, cleared and discharged and now they have returned sick with the same thing again".   You're just not listening buddy. 

When did I say it was a study?  Go chase your tail some more.  Then when you get tired you can take a nap. or pee on the floor.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, happy Americans express their desire to return to work at the local meat packing plant.

QRRZukN.jpg

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Wow!  What a timely coincidence.  I just heard it reported in the news that the "repeat infections" were due to false positive tests.  Who was it that said that? 

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

First of all, many of the tests that were developed in a hurried fashion, especially those outside the US, had high false positives and false negatives. 

Newsweek?  Is that any good?

https://www.newsweek.com/south-korea-experts-say-recovered-coronavirus-patients-retested-positive-because-dead-virus-parts-1500998

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

If my health was compromised, I would be concerned about never seeing my family again.   Not scared tho.  I guess that's just me. 

Handing out laptops was not a "hero" move - I assume more sarcasm.  The powers that be decided it was necessary and it's my job.  Some kids in our school district don't even have Internet, much less a computer.  It was done out of fairness to those students, and (let's be real) probably so they don't lose aid money. 

No - not sarcasm.  Sorry if it came off that way.  I appreciate any and every person and act that helps keep our country running during the shutdown.  A sincere thank you. 

By the way -  only 3 children have died from CV, and just as few documented cases of a child spreading it.  So, teachers will be safe when schools open up.  At least if they stay 6 feet away from other teachers. 

Edited by fortyearspickn

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Meanwhile, happy Americans express their desire to return to work at the local meat packing plant.

QRRZukN.jpg

That looks like the Michigan governors mansion - not a meat packing plant.  Tried to find  "Michigan Meat Packers Protest".  Zero. Zilch. Nada. 

Oh wait. Never mind.  I saw a video of this.  It is in the Michigan State House.  Protesters who have been upset for a couple of weeks about the lockdown.

NOT MEAT PACKERS.      Nice Try.   

• Like 1

The meat packing plant comment was an attempt at levity.  You may have read about the outbreaks at those facilities. 

I don't think those boys would be too eager to go to work there despite all of the hootin' 'n' hollerin'.

Whoever thought you'd have scenes like this occurring in the United States.  Here's another pic from Michigan earlier today:

IDSnNNP.jpg

Here's the article if you're bored:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/michigan-rally-against-shelter-place-order-spills-capitol-193513207--abc-news-topstories.html

At least I can work from home while the world goes crazy.  Time to play the old Martin and call it a day.  This is a guitar forum so here's a beauty pic just for the fun of it.

2EWXMXY.jpg

Edited by SteveFord

Nuthin like the chatoyance of a Martin top.

rct

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Black Dog said:

You seem to question my fitness for my profession.  I graduated medical school in 1997.  Since then I've seen over 150,000 patients.  

So as a medical professional, do you agree with Dr. Fauci (the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases)?  Or do you feel you are more informed on that particular subject than Dr. Fauci?  

Edited by ghost_of_fl

32 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

So as a medical professional, do you agree with Dr. Fauci (the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases)?  Or do you feel you are more informed on that particular subject than Dr. Fauci?  

As a Newbie - here on this Forum for a month - with 2/3rds of your posts in two threads - both of which are discussing  Coronavirus -  it might be less stressful in these difficult times if you asked yourself if you came here to argue about public health policy - or to learn about Gibson guitars.   Even RCT gets it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Even RCT gets it. 

To which rct replied, "even me? Thanks."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Black Dog said:

I never said plan.  I said approach.  

So maybe there is a misunderstanding of what I'm talking about here.  In the context of this virus (not polio or smallpox or anything else), what we're talking about is a virus that causes a very, very mild illness in healthy young people.  If we develop a plan to shield the vulnerable (which can easily be done), and let the young healthy people get it, then they will protect and shield the vulnerable with their immunity.   It's the exact opposite of killing the old, or anyone else for that matter.  It has nothing to do with cows.

One more thing.  You seem to question my fitness for my profession.  I graduated medical school in 1997.  Since then I've seen over 150,000 patients.  I've never even tried to keep track of the number of lives I've personally saved.  If I would have done it, It would be a very large number.   I still do it every time I go to work, Covid-19 or not.  

At this time we don't know enough about this virus  to even think about  herd immunity even if it was an option!

Plan, approach, course of action, way to go, in this context they mean the same thing.  

Please stop telling people that this is a very, very mild illness  in healthy young people. Even the news media stopped telling that lie. I think it was BBP's  son, my daughter, my son in law and thousands of others would be more than happy to argue this point with you.

No misunderstanding. You are advocating we develop a plan (you did say plan this time) for herd immunity  without knowing if it would actually work yet only this time your saying only do it to the young and healthy.

13 minutes ago, jvi said:

fox and now yahoo??  could be better sources...

That was a Bloomberg Opinion piece republished by Yahoo News.  They do the same with articles from Cosmopolitan, InStyle, The Daily Beast, E!, Etc.  

Article was written by Joseph Nocera who is an American business journalist and author

Edited by ghost_of_fl

4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

That was a Bloomberg Opinion piece republished by Yahoo News.  They do the same with articles from Cosmopolitan, InStyle, The Daily Beast, E!, Etc.  

Article was written by Joseph Nocera who is an American business journalist and author

science and higher education examples may be better -COSMO ?  yer joking I hope...daily beast?  if this wasnt so sad ...