Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

13 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Actually, I have some bad news about people who "so badly needed a doctor and a test but got neither"...

Staggering Surge Of NYers Dying In Their Homes Suggests City Is Undercounting Coronavirus Fatalities

https://gothamist.com/news/surge-number-new-yorkers-dying-home-officials-suspect-undercount-covid-19-related-deaths

This article is over a month old.  Strange we had to rely on The Gothamist to do this 'investigative reporting'.     Rather than your usual method of just providing a link - you might have noted the central fact - the coroner's office said the deaths were "UNCONFIRMED TO HAVE BEEN CORONAVIRUS RELATED".   As the article also points out - they do not do tests on dead bodies.  (Would sort of be a waste, don't you think, since there's a shortage and lots of people want a test every day?)

You also left out the comment by the Columbia University health emergency director who wants to include  virtually ALL DEATHS in the Corona Virus Death Count.  His 'logic' ?   Since people dying from cancer and heart attacks would have gotten life-saving care if the state hadn't directed to prohibit 'elective' surgeries -  these deaths are also cause by CV.   You can't make this stuff up.  

And finally ....  Aaah. The Gothamist Newsletter.    And below your cherry-picked story - one about a  Cemetery (used for decades as a park by desperate NYers)  deciding they needed  some Gestapo-minded volunteers to warn people about social distancing.   Try coming up to my wife and me and tell us we have to stay 6 feet apart, and you might get a rude awakening. "Moylan's message concluded with a call for volunteers to serve as "ambassadors" to fan out throughout the cemetery to make sure visitors were adhering to social distancing rules".       So, now the bureaucratic over-reach will extend to cemeteries.  Death and Taxes.   

You know, there are some really interesting things we are seeing as a result of the pandemic.  

I had two patients when  we were at our "peak" here.  One woman in her 60s, another in her 70s.  Coincidentally both on the same day.  They both had an odd looking pneumonia/pneumonitis.  They were both pretty sick and both ended up in the ICU for a few days.  At that point, anyone that sick got tested for everything.  They both ended up testing negative for Covid and influenza.  We also did viral respiratory panels on them which tests for a variety of relatively rare viruses and oddly one had RSV.  That's a virus that causes bronchiolitis in young children.  Adults can get it but it is typically just like a common cold as far as severity.  The other person tested negative for everything.  So who knows what that was.  Maybe a false negative test?  Anyway, point is that it's not always easy to know what someone has just based on symptoms and "what's going around".

Other things like people with insanely low oxygen levels but minimal to no symptoms.  Normal respiratory rates and other vital signs, awake alert and comfortable.  Strange.  Apparently they are not oxygenating very well (but well enough), but, they are able to blow off CO2 relatively normally.  Weird stuff.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

... when a doctor starts saying the above, RUN cuz their guess is as good as yours.  😄

It's funny that we would disagree on this one.  To me, the far more scary physician is the one who thinks they know it all or that they've seen it all.  The one who is so confident they fail to consider all possibilities.  The one who accepts dogma.  You don't have to be a doctor for long to realize that medicine is constantly changing and there is always something you have't seen before or defies what you thought you knew.  Text books are one thing.  Real life is something else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Actually I posted the same story from other sources such as CNN, Reuters and The Guardian.  Scroll up. 

Article is over a month old - thus I guess it never happened.    I can dig up some old articles about 9/11.  Pretty sure that happened. 

Read the cnn one. (Didn't want to 'sign in' for The Guardian, sorry)  It said the same thing - cut and paste and quoted The Gothamist story.  It's what journalists call  "The Echo Chamber" . A small, silly blog posts a story based on what some bureaucrat says - and another larger one repeats it. Then a really large one like CNN, until it gains traction.     You didn't address my actual point - This single 'report' from a Medical Examiners employee is based on her PRESUMPTION.   None Of The Deaths Which Occurred At Home were tested for CoronaVirus.  The Wishful thinking on her part is mirrored in the story where the bureaucrat from Columbia Emergency Preparation (or whatever) says he believes ALL DEATHS should be counted as CV, even cancer and stroke.  I suppose he left out Gun Shot Wounds, because that would have just seemed too outrageous. Even to the sheep that read  "The Gothamist".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I worked for a 6 doctor practice at one point.  Good doctors as far as I know, but I never heard any of them ever utter anything similar to the above around me or their patients.   So I guess that means they were "scary".    All 6 of them. 

4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I worked for a 6 doctor practice at one point.  Good doctors as far as I know, but I never heard any of them ever utter anything similar to the above around me or their patients.   So I guess that means they were "scary".    All 6 of them. 

And you heard every word that they said to every patient?  No you didn't.  Not even close. They could have said it millions of times and you would have no way of knowing. Your arguments are baseless and thoughtless.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Umm.. I was also their patient.  Let's just say I'd be surprised to hear that from any of them.  I'll leave it at that. 

You can't  'leave it at that'.   You trounced a statement made by a doc - by presuming to speak for 6  you did office work for, and coughed once or twice I assume.   I worked for the Post Office one summer.  I can't smack down a statement made by a Mail Carrier,  by pretending to  speak for all Mail Carrier, because I worked with 6.  

• Like 2

Seems in Oz we have 66 people in hospitals (27 in ICU) and maybe a couple of deaths per day in nursing homes. Local containment approaches to breakouts invoked as they occur.

Government now shifting focus to getting much more business open and a million unemployed back into work with reopening structures and support information for businesses and employees to be released on Friday and target timelines by business type. Schools widely reopening in phased approach by year group. Social distancing measures remain major part of strategy for foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Umm.. I was also their patient.  Let's just say I'd be surprised to hear that from any of them.  I'll leave it at that. 

And would it surprise you to know that doctors often speak differently among themselves than around staff and patients?  Surely you've thought of that.

• Haha 1

Pennsyltucky is up to 50,957 (865 new cases) with 554 new deaths since yesterday.

My little county is up 14 people since yesterday to 716 cases, the place where they had that astroturf movement Liberate PA shindig is up 43 since yesterday to 695. 

Slackers!

Along with blood clots and strokes for the middle aged it also seems to be triggering all sorts of problems in children although all that appears to be preliminary findings.  They first noticed the kids in England and now same deal in NYC.  

That bat on a Ritz cracker sure looks good, but no, I really should watch my girlish figure.  Motorcycle season is coming up, after all.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

That bat on a Ritz cracker sure looks good, but no, I really should watch my girlish figure.  Motorcycle season is coming up, after all.

Sure hope you make it farther than that epic ride you took that one fateful day. Should have brought another guitar down with me. Love my D-15M, but I'm getting sick of looking at the same guitar. Rush 2112 should be here tomorrow and Roxy Music's first should be here Friday. What to get next...? Maybe Red and Larks' Tongues.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I wonder if there is a way to calculate the number of unreported infections there are?

Yes, that would involve testing for antibodies.  Some of that has already been done and there will be more.  It is likely a  very large number based on some of the early results.  Since they won't be able to test all 325 million people in the US, they'll have to test samples and make estimates based on that.

39 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Yes, that would involve testing for antibodies.  Some of that has already been done and there will be more.  It is likely a  very large number based on some of the early results.  Since they won't be able to test all 325 million people in the US, they'll have to test samples and make estimates based on that.

I have been hearing that in NY they are finding a very high number of untracked shut-in deaths, at east as many as have been officially reported.

Edited by mihcmac

You post lots of things.  Sort of the shotgun approach.  There are also stories of 1,700  more deceased found in nursing homes in The City.   So, one story, repeated 3 or 4 times - does not merit automatic credibility. 

Rather that complain about being called a liar (can you point to that comment? )   maybe you should answer the question I've posed twice to you - on why untested deaths which occurred at peoples homes,  should be assumed to be Corona Virus?    The City Councilman who heads the Health Committee doesn't know if  'probable'  (ie. they had symptoms but weren't tested) cases are included in the Corona Virus death counts.   NYC clearly doesn't know what they are doing.  If you want to modify your lifestyle based on rags reporting  'experts'  who feel we should count cardiac deaths as CV related, because the Corona Virus indirectly affected the patient ....   feel free to.  

You know, Senor Pepper, it might be time for me to do some guitar shopping.

I still have to wait for this wretched virus to get done bumping us off and then I can pick up that Triumph I'm buying  (why do I have 7 Triumphs, who knows) and then I'm thinking a red Firebird VII. 

I just checked eBay and Reverb and currently the prices are stupidly high.  One will come along, though.  It's not like they only made one of them.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

You know, Senor Pepper, it might be time for me to do some guitar shopping.

I still have to wait for this wretched virus to get done bumping us off and then I can pick up that Triumph I'm buying  (why do I have 7 Triumphs, who knows) and then I'm thinking a red Firebird VII. 

I just checked eBay and Reverb and currently the prices are stupidly high.  One will come along, though.  It's not like they only made one of them.

Beast of an instrument - no guitar for the faint hearted, that.

kudos man! [thumbup]

13 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I wonder if there is a way to calculate the number of unreported infections there are?

Not to be a wise a.., but how if they are unreported? How many people are walking around right now with it and do not know it?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

In BC Canada, we have 2200 cases and approx 121 fatalities. 8th week of "stay at home" and it is tough but the low numbers,  to myself and many here, make it worthwhile...  stay safe.

The daily number of new infections has increased significantly today, 6th May, in -

Italy, Spain, France, UK.

Perhaps this is entirely due to more testing.

I hope so. 

The UK is still seeing in excess of 4000+ confirmed new cases daily - today there are 6111.

Edited by jdgm