Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

Let us hope that herd immunity is such a thing with this virus.  It's already mutated once so who knows.  A hell of an experiment to risk with your population, I'll say that much.  

Pennsyltucky is up 1070 cases since yesterday, my little county is up another 18, Dauphin County is up 24.  Our beautiful State Capital will probably overtake us in numbers by tomorrow.  The county to the east of me, which is Lancaster, is getting creamed, they're at over 2000.  There's one city, Lancaster, and the rest is mostly farm land with Amish and corn fields.

We're up since yesterday, of course.

I took a motorcycle ride out to meet a fellow to pick up around 50 pounds of frozen rodents for my snakes.  The guy with the feeders is a big mountain man type in his early 40s and he said he had it a while back ,  His comment was "I'll tell you what, that was a rough couple of weeks".  Just looking at him and the way he spoke you could tell it took a toll on him.  

We're all so curious here to see if that's what ripped through this area around Christmas.  

I wrote to the guy I got the rats from and he was ill from late March until early April and he says that anything more than walking currently leaves him winded.  He's one of those giant Harley guys but it's muscle, not flab, non smoker.  

He's gone a month without testing positive so that's a good sign.

Edited by SteveFord

It's hard to get a number, Every sight I go on says something different.  Then I wrote down 1,596 tested positive here and then checked another one current with today. It said, 8,234 in Nebraska tested positive but only 96 have died so far.  I saw on news a guy coming out of the hospital on a bed, after being released. Deb. told me they were taking him to the rehab. I asked, what for? And she told me that this virus is affecting many people a bit different, and this guy had to learn how to walk again. He was so weakened. Wow, I thought, really? This stuff sounds like you better take care of your self. 

• Like 1

We're still happily croaking as time goes past.  Only 24 new deaths state wide since yesterday, hardly worth thinking about.  57,154 positive cases in the state, I'm thinking we'll top 100,000 well before the 4th of July.  

If I'm lucky I won't be in that count.  

Deb and I went to the cemetery to put flowers on her moms grave. I've been there many times before with her but never like this trip.  Seemed like a bunch of new graves sites were recently added.  No matter which direction I looked at. Must have been 15 or 20 new graves put in with fresh sod on top. No way of telling what they all died from, but it does make one wonder? All I know is it isn't the normal to have that many all at once. 

Lots of testing going on down here in Oz at the moment. Good news is that we are down to 16 people in ICU and only 47 hospitalised at all.

97 people have died since the pandemic started...nearly all related to overseas travel, cruise ships and nursing homes. The hope is that through the social restrictions we have bought time to stock up on tests, PPE, doctors and nurses, contact apps etc so that outbreaks can be stomped on quickly and contacts traced and isolated.

On the positive side - restrictions are being lifted in 3 stages over next 8 weeks depending on how we track (so I'm looking forward to and rehearsals from this weekend).

Edited by 'Scales

I went to the grocery store in York today and it is just so weird to see everyone (myself included) wearing gloves and masks and looking at each other funny.  I never imagined things would be like this but here we are.

Up 21 more cases in Dauphin Country since yesterday, 9 in York, up 817 state wide with another 75 dead from it.  

February 6th we had our first confirmed death from it, we're now at 1,400,000 (give or take) with 82,925 dead.  

That's less than 14 weeks.

10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Can't help but attack people, can you?   Sad.  

The difficulty here is very simple, and we all know what it is.

This ain't Europe. No-one is going to give you 80% of your take home pay to sit on your behind and watch TV. The Republicans in the Senate, principally led by Lindsey Graham, made it very clear today: $1200 is all you're getting, Joe Schmoe. That's it. We're done here.

So people have to go back to work. There is literally no other choice. 80,000 corpses provide a sobering disincentive to be in close proximity to other people, so we can tell ourselves that there would be 80,000 corpses whether or not we had closed down the country, or even, perhaps, there are 80,000 corpses because we closed down the country. It doesn't really matter. There will probably be 100,000 corpses by July. (shrug, watchoo gonna do? - just compare it to a year of cigarette smokers' deaths or an Opioid crisis, then it feels innocuous, even though those are deaths caused by behaviors, not a highly infectious disease). The news makes it clear that Americans want to spend money in the service economy, and workers in that economy are likely going to suffer horribly one way or the other: maybe get COVID-19, or definitely end up bankrupt and homeless. It's not really a hard choice, in those terms, is it? Possibly suffer, or definitely suffer? The same is true for workers in other industries.

500,000 to 850,000 Spanish flu deaths in the US a century ago, and mostly forgotten within a few years. People died of flu. **** happens. It's only been resurrected lately in the public consciousness because it's the closest thing in recent American history to COVID-19. The Great Depression? Spoken of in hushed and terrible terms for 80+ something years.

Economic Disasters > Public Health Disasters (in America).

This is not an ideal situation. But it seems that's where we are.

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

The difficulty here is very simple, and we all know what it is.

We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.   Making an enemy of our own future...

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

A lot of industries and able to make adjustments to stay temporarily quarantined while still "getting the job done".  Improvise, adapt, overcome.  Perhaps certain industries are at fault for thinking it could never happen. 

I work in technology and I can tell you, we've been using remote connection technology for decades.   That doesn't apply to every industry, but IMO lots of business owners were caught with their pants down while enjoying their "summer homes" and they are at fault for the shutdown too. 

the virus is the ONLY  REASON FOR  SHUT DOWN.  SAVING YOUR *** FROM DYING AND TO KEEP IT FROM KILLING YER FRIENDS AND FAMILY

Another 137 dead since yesterday here in the wilds of Pennsyltucky.  

Locals milling around with no masks and clumping together at the old fishing hole.  No bike stop for me on my after work ride.

Here's a disturbing one: two people in York County today tested positive with NO fever at present or in the recent past.  One just had body aches and chest pain, the other one had chest pain and diarrhea recently.  

So much for testing people for a fever as a quick and dirty check.

11 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝙸'𝚖 𝚜𝚊𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚜, 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚞𝚜 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚙𝚞𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚔𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚜 𝙳𝙸𝙳𝙽'𝚃 𝙽𝙴𝙴𝙳 𝚃𝙾 𝚜𝚑𝚞𝚝 𝚍𝚘𝚠𝚗.  𝚆𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚑𝚘𝚖𝚎.  

your last sentence was-imo lots of owners were caught with thier pants down and they are at fault for the shut down too,  THE BUG SHUT US DOWN

Edited by jvi

On 5/12/2020 at 5:29 PM, Lord Summerisle said:

500,000 to 850,000 Spanish flu deaths in the US a century ago, and mostly forgotten within a few years. People died of flu. **** happens. It's only been resurrected lately in the public consciousness because it's the closest thing in recent American history to COVID-19. The Great Depression? Spoken of in hushed and terrible terms for 80+ something years.

Economic Disasters > Public Health Disasters (in America).

And while hundreds of thousands died, there was no lock down.  No panic. No toilet paper shortage, no....

People need to study history.

Instead of listening to idiot talking heads on TV. Which millions continue to do.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, brad1 said:

And while hundreds of thousands died, there was no lock down.  No panic. No toilet paper shortage, no....

People need to study history.

Instead of listening to idiot talking heads on TV. Which millions continue to do.  

THERE WAS PANIC,  AND MAYBE A LOCK DOWN  WITH MODERN DOCTORS AND NURSES THE LOSS WOULD HAVE BEEN LESS   ps  wasnt a lot of TP THEN 

11 minutes ago, jvi said:

THERE WAS PANIC,  AND MAYBE A LOCK DOWN  WITH MODERN DOCTORS AND NURSES THE LOSS WOULD HAVE BEEN LESS   ps  wasnt a lot of TP THEN 

Stop using all capital letters. 

My point was the situation was MUCH worse back then, and folks today think what is happening now is somehow something we have never gone through. And that is wrong. 

And all business did NOT close.  And no, they should not have closed.  

Civilization can not exist without people working. It can exist with a virus. I am sure you will tell me how horrible I am for thinking that. I just speak the truth.  

And stop the yelling

• Like 2