Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

33 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Stop using all capital letters. 

My point was the situation was MUCH worse back then, and folks today think what is happening now is somehow something we have never gone through. And that is wrong. 

And all business did NOT close.  And no, they should not have closed.  

Civilization can not exist without people working. It can exist with a virus. I am sure you will tell me how horrible I am for thinking that. I just speak the truth.  

And stop the yelling

the caps were accidental, if you see them again  read quietly..uncivilization could be the new current term perhaps...ps if I choose to use all caps you saying stop has NO EFFECT    ps no one living went thru the pandemic you refer to 

Edited by jvi
addition

7 hours ago, brad1 said:

And while hundreds of thousands died, there was no lock down.  No panic. No toilet paper shortage, no....

People need to study history.

Instead of listening to idiot talking heads on TV. Which millions continue to do.  

One mild observation: people of that era had a very different take on life and death to that which prevails today. This is not intended to imply that they didn't mourn individual deaths (the morbid late Victorian funereal fascination shows that they did), but in 1918 you are talking about a generation which, in America, was only 50 years removed from the Civil War (620,000 deaths), and in Europe and America, had just experienced WWI (117,000 American soldiers killed; an incredible estimated total death toll of 10 million military personnel and 10 million civilians for the conflict as a whole). An age before sulfa drugs, before penicillin, an age of high infant mortality, horrific childhood illnesses, and where getting your "three score years and ten" was generally regarded as an excellent and fortunate outcome to be celebrated.

We now live in age where we fully expect to live into our 80s or 90s on a cocktail of prescription medications.

I suspect to the people of 1918, the Spanish Flu was just another horrible wave of death, in an era where they were accustomed to the Grim Reaper spending a lot of time wielding his scythe.  No doubt it was shocking, but much less shocking than it would be to our generation. And COVID-19, though undoubtedly nasty, cannot hold a candle to the Spanish Flu. The experiments from a few years ago, involving macaque monkeys and the reconstructed virus, shocked the 21st researchers with just how brutally awful that virus was.

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Thanks 1

1712 positive

40 deaths

Went to the grocery store to get a couple of things,I look over at the checkout and there's a guy who tested positive last week buying groceries. He was wearing a mask,but I don't give a flying fukk,stay the fukk home you fukkin idiot. I wanted to scream,while pointing my finger Virussssssssssss! Virusssssssssssss! Virusssssssssss! The fuk King moron works at the hospital. No brains No headaches.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, brad1 said:

And while hundreds of thousands died, there was no lock down.  No panic. 

People need to study history.

No panic?   (!)

First death here in Australia yesterday for about a week (81yo off cruise ship), takes us to 98 deaths over the pandemic.

Edited by 'Scales

7 hours ago, brad1 said:

Stop using all capital letters. 

My point was the situation was MUCH worse back then, and folks today think what is happening now is somehow something we have never gone through. And that is wrong. 

And all business did NOT close.  And no, they should not have closed.  

Civilization can not exist without people working. It can exist with a virus. I am sure you will tell me how horrible I am for thinking that. I just speak the truth.  

And stop the yelling

You are 10000% correct.  Time to go back to work.  Sadly, we are fighting many who thrive and make lots of money on “gloom and doom.”  So many of the people spreading the fear are in very high-paying jobs and they get their paychecks even if they don’t go to work.  These people are not stuck at home and facing the financial problems that people who depend on the economy for their jobs and family security.  They preach “We are all in this together.”  That’s bullshit!  They are not “us.”     We are all on the same stormy ocean, but we are in very different boats.  If the entire world economy goes into total collapse, the people pushing the fear will still have their jobs.........lWe cannot sit at home for months and expect all these millions of jobs to still be there.  We cannot expect hundreds-of-thousands of small businesses that survive on a month-to-month basis to survive,  If people don’t get back to work, things will be far worse than what people are worried and complaining about now.  We cannot buy-into the fear.  We cannot hide in our homes waiting for a vaccine that is perhaps years away.   Look at the flu vaccine—-it all depends on if the flu you come in contact with is the same kind of flu as the vaccine......For myself, I believe that in my country (USA) and others, things have begun to open and people are eager get going again.  Once things are opened-up, I don’t think people will accept being locked at home again.  Just my view.........Meanwhile, guitars help keep us mellow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

1712 positive

40 deaths

Went to the grocery store to get a couple of things,I look over at the checkout and there's a guy who tested positive last week buying groceries. He was wearing a mask,but I don't give a flying fukk,stay the fukk home you fukkin idiot. I wanted to scream,while pointing my finger Virussssssssssss! Virusssssssssssss! Virusssssssssss! The fuk King moron works at the hospital. No brains No headaches.

I suggest you watch your language,  or you’ll get your own thread locked. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I suggest you watch your language,  or you’ll get your own thread locked. 

Wouldn't be my first. Besides the people that argue endlessly to no end are the ones that get the threads locked. Ask KS Daddy. 

• Thanks 1

In my spare time I've been keeping a spread sheet of the cases going on around me.  Yes, we're still dropping dead in these here parts.  Guys in their 30s and 40s are getting blood clots (one had his leg amputated), kids are showing up with Toxic Shock Sydrome-like symptoms, and the elderly and infirm are going toes up.

Next Friday my county goes into Code Yellow which means stay at home orders will be lifted.  Childcare centers and some retail shops can reopen and gatherings of up to 25 are allowed.  Telework should continue at business where it is possible.

Restaurants and bars will still be limited to takeout and delivery.  School buildings will remain closed, along with gyms, salons and theaters.  Visits to nursing homes and prisons will still be prohibited. 

We'll see how this goes.  My guess is the locals will act like everything is back to normal and this area will see a monster spike in cases which will lead to another lock down which the locals will ignore until we have numbers like NJ.

All I can say is that I am so glad that I'm married, own  a house and can telework.  I really feel the people in the cities, the service industry workers and the blue collar workers.  I can't imagine being a truck driver or a postal worker or a restaurant owner.  What do you do?

You can forget concerts this year, motorcycle rallies are out, the annual Central PA Beer Bash and Group Grope has been  put on hold,  it's just crazy.

You can see here how it's kind of oozed it's way across NY and NJ and then goes dead where it's just farmers and cornfields:

https://www.wgal.com/article/pennsylvania-counties-reopening-coronavirus/32343176#

The red areas are also where the college kids returned from Spring Break in Florida.

Edited by SteveFord

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

All I can say is that I am so glad that I'm married, own  a house and can telework.  I really feel the people in the cities, the service industry workers and the blue collar workers.  I can't imagine being a truck driver or a postal worker or a restaurant owner.  What do you do?

You can forget concerts this year, motorcycle rallies are out, the annual Central PA Beer Bash and Group Grope has been  put on hold,  it's just crazy.

You can see here how it's kind of oozed it's way across NY and NJ and then goes dead where it's just farmers and cornfields:

https://www.wgal.com/article/pennsylvania-counties-reopening-coronavirus/32343176#

The red areas are also where the college kids returned from Spring Break in Florida.

I'm sorry to hear about how bad it was in Pennsylvania, Steve. Yours is a lovely state, which I always look forward to visiting.

Speaking of the "it ends at farmlands" thing, it seems Lancaster County took a real beating. What happened, I wonder? Just the proximity to Philadelphia? Tourists early in the season, before things could be locked down?

Hope things continue to get better for Pennsylvania.

A friend of mine in Lancaster says that out of staters brought it in which could be part of it.  It's kind of a tourist trap for people to see the Amish (they're actually seeing the Mennonites but close enough).  They come in from NY and NJ and away it goes.  

My dopey little town had no cases last time I checked, today we have 7.  My better half says expect 25 by next week, I think we're about to get hammered here.

They made this a political thing instead of a public  health issue so we're pretty much screwed.

32 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

A friend of mine in Lancaster says that out of staters brought it in which could be part of it.  It's kind of a tourist trap for people to see the Amish (they're actually seeing the Mennonites but close enough).  They come in from NY and NJ and away it goes.  

My dopey little town had no cases last time I checked, today we have 7.  My better half says expect 25 by next week, I think we're about to get hammered here.

They made this a political thing instead of a public  health issue so we're pretty much screwed.

The guy who did some work on one of my guitars got it. He said it's not always a death sentence, but if you get it, for a couple of weeks it ain't fun.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yes, my supplier got it and said anything more than walking now  leaves him winded.

I  wonder about the damage it does if it doesn't kill you off.  

People in their 30s and 40s are showing up with COVID-19 and the symptom is blood clots, one had to have his leg amputated.  This is a weird thing that's floating around.

13 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Yes, my supplier got it and said anything more than walking now  leaves him winded.

I  wonder about the damage it does if it doesn't kill you off.  

People in their 30s and 40s are showing up with COVID-19 and the symptom is blood clots, one had to have his leg amputated.  This is a weird thing that's floating around.

Fukin tainted Vampire Bat McNuggets.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It's kind of a tourist trap for people to see the Amish (they're actually seeing the Mennonites but close enough). 

I've often wondered about that. I live in a part of Virginia where there is a large Mennonite population. As a lapsed Anglo-Catholic turned Atheist, I know next to nothing about Anabaptism, but many of the Mennonites of Virginia seem to drive, use cellphones, take credit cards when you buy stuff at the farmers' market, use tractors and agricultural machinery, and go to Walmart - a lot. The horse and buggy seems to be more a mode of transport for Church on Sundays, and a link to the past. When I've visited Lancaster, PA, the people there seem much "stricter." I understand that how people interact with the modern world isn't a pure ecumenical test, but I've always thought the Lancaster "Amish" are the real deal Amish, and the Mennonites in Virginia are slightly different.

Anyway, I never go to Lancaster to stare at the Amish/Mennonites. I like the steam train at Strasburg, and the railroad museum. I also like to go to the Ephrata Cloister sometimes  - "This was a community of people who never had sex." "What happened?" "They died out."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Not good.

Eight sailors from USS Theodore Roosevelt who previously had coronavirus test positive again

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/politics/uss-theodore-roosevelt-sailors-coronavirus/index.html

Damn. I guess you can get it twice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

As I understand it, the Mennonites are an offshoot, they've embraced the modern world and are the ones running the "Amish" markets and restaurants.  That could be Amish running the markets, though.

I had a female Mennonite boss and took this one really wild Mennonite girl for a long motorcycle ride; like everyone else, there's a wide variety of behaviors in people.  

The Amish are the horse and buggy brigade but even they use telephones as long as they are a certain distance from the house and they hire people to drive them around.  

I'm  told that the reason the Amish stuck to their lifestyle had to do with rejecting anything that would cause them to be dependent on the British hundreds of years ago.  Something to do with paying taxes on something or other and they said screw it and the rest is history.

I'm not from this area but I've been told that the Amish are good to deal with, the Mennonites not so much.

With those sailors, either it never fully left and they were getting false negatives or it circled back.  If it circled back not good is quite the understatement.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

As I understand it, the Mennonites are an offshoot, they've embraced the modern world and are the ones running the "Amish" markets and restaurants.  That could be Amish running the markets, though.

I had a female Mennonite boss and took this one really wild Mennonite girl for a long motorcycle ride; like everyone else, there's a wide variety of behaviors in people.  

The Amish are the horse and buggy brigade but even they use telephones as long as they are a certain distance from the house and they hire people to drive them around.  

I'm  told that the reason the Amish stuck to their lifestyle had to do with rejecting anything that would cause them to be dependent on the British hundreds of years ago.  Something to do with paying taxes on something or other and they said screw it and the rest is history.

I'm not from this area but I've been told that the Amish are good to deal with, the Mennonites not so much.

With those sailors, either it never fully left and they were getting false negatives or it circled back.  If it circled back not good is quite the understatement.  

Somewhere about 20 minutes away from Greenville, North Carolina I went to a Mennonite or an Amish place that serves breakfast. Those guys can cook a breakfast. They have this stuff that's not syrup it's like a thick goopy stuff you put on your pancakes. I would love to rub that all over Jennifer Aniston.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn. I guess you can get it twice.

The same thing happened in S. Korea.  They were testing positive from virus fragments.  False positive tests.  It depends what type of test you are using.  The most accurate is a PCR test.  If they are on a ship it's probably a antigen test which tests for viral "pieces".  That's most likely what happened. 

Don't forget that all these tests have their limitations and all of them have been thrown together very quickly without as much validation as you would normally have.   Lots of false positives and false negatives.   Also, in many viral infections viral shedding can occur fairly long after the infection/illness is gone.

So far there have been no confirmed cases of people getting it twice and there is a lot of evidence that having the infection confers immunity.

• Like 1