Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

6 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Seriously though, haven't heard from Black Dog in a while.  Hopefully not on a ventilator somewhere??  

He died of a stroke arguing over the virtues of skim milk over whole milk. That's the rumor anyway.

• Sad 2

Thought I'd check in. Nebraska started off being the 3rd, lowest state of the virus cases. Not sure where we rank now of all the states but as of today, we have 16,130 cases with 211 deaths.  It doesn't appear to be going away. 

We're up to 77, 313 cases with 6,113 deaths.

No, it doesn't just go away.

Yes, more testing will show more cases as it continues to spread.   PA is up 877 cases in the past two days.  

Edited by SteveFord

I haven't followed it too closely for a few weeks but I had a look to see what's happening in the US and it's hard to tell...on one hand the trend in deaths seems to be heading consistently down which is obviously great to see, and on the other the modelling suggests another 50,000 deaths by October and maybe rising to 290,000 through the following winter which would surely mean no elections, school, football etc...Well, I can better understand the fear, anger and angst you guys are experiencing now and hope that summer can bring relief even if it's temporary.

It takes a while to die from it so there's a lag between number of case and number of corpses.

My wife made a good point: it doesn't stay with you forever (as far as we know) so the new cases really are new infections, not old ones which increased testing is uncovering.

We're up to 77,999 as of noon today here in PA with 6162 deaths.

It's a terrible state of affairs and is something I hoped never to see.  Good time to practice the guitar and hope they find a vaccine before the corn virus finds my hairy butt.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

It takes a while to die from it so there's a lag between number of case and number of corpses.

My wife made a good point: it doesn't stay with you forever (as far as we know) so the new cases really are new infections, not old ones which increased testing is uncovering.

It's a terrible state of affairs and is something I hoped never to see.  Good time to practice the guitar and hope they find a vaccine before the corn virus finds my hairy butt.

I come here to find out the CV19 stats. I've only been watching Bosch, Rock Docs and old Twilight Zone reruns.

Rocking Roxy Music For Your Pleasure. I like the first one better.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Wow, I had no idea Pennsylvania was hit that hard? I have a friend that lives in Lincoln Nebraska that has family there. 

That's a number I don't think we can get.  Testing is only accurate for how someone is doing at that moment.

This area is acting like it was here and gone, never to be seen again.  I think they're nuts and they probably think the same about me.

When I read a couple of months ago that some states  were retroactively re-classifying deaths when the patient died from something else, but counting it as CV because they had CV-like symptoms -  I gave up on paying attention to that metric as well.   No one in our extended family has tested positive,  that's the only metric I feel I can trust anymore. 

23 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Sorry to say my uncle passed away from COVID related illness last Friday.   I know several people who were sick but no longer are, including my aunt who is a nurse and came real close to becoming another statistic. 

Sorry to hear that, that sucks. 

Bother.  These are numbers I, and many other, don't like.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=STYLN_coronahub&variant=show&region=header&context=menu

And down south of the USA, Latin America is getting hammered.  Brazil is awful numbers.

Sometimes winners are grinners.  Not this time.

This might be interesting.   One year average World wide.       Deaths reported.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Terrorism - 15,939 deaths,   Heat/Cold - 24,633,   Poisonings - 33,488,  Fire - 55,223,   Hospitals - 57,799,   Drugs - 72,772,   Alcohol - 82,754,   Maternal - 89,355,   Influenza - 91,126,    Meningitis - 134,757,   Drowning - 138,138,   Parkinson's - 151,501,   Homicide - 179,837,   Malnutrition - 232,967,   Malaria - 285,131,    Suicide - 361,606.   The point?  These took 1 year to hit these numbers.        Now, Just this year alone to 6/9/2020.     Covid 19 deaths.  411,436 and still counting every day.  It's not going away either.  Count all the thousands of cases already in progress if more die from it.  I think Deb & I will stay in quarantine awhile longer. 

9 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

PA is going up about 500 cases a day.  It kind of seems like every man, woman and child on the planet is going to get it sooner or later, doesn't it?

Yeah, It's terrible. I should have said, 35,000 cases just in the US alone today and the days not over yet. Guess they're  running out of room to put people. 

What makes it so damned difficult is people can have it and not know it but they sure can spread it around.

I was nearly buying a Les Paul Special last week but the seller wouldn't ship from NJ.  
No, man, I'm not sick, pick up only, no shipping...

P.S.

We're in deep ****.  Under 6 months and the numbers are just staggering.

Edited by SteveFord

We had an 80 yo gentleman die in Australia yesterday - first death in just over a month here and cases are up a little now too.  Will need the mother of all balancing acts over the next couple of years to get through this whole mess if that's even possible. 

It would be harsh to judge the entire US for the recent upswing in cases.

Those states which were badly affected early on (New York, New Jersey, etc) are generally doing really well keeping things under control now. It's other states (California, Texas, Florida) which  now have exponential growth in new cases.

If only they had somehow known what was going to happen based on the experiences of other people from their own country.